Metal Detecting Laws

scrapman

I was reading some threads on another forum about TH'ing and Laws concerning metal detecting. These threads got me alittle worried that the government is trying to ban our hobby. I can't believe that there is that much outcry from the public demanding more restrictive laws on MD'ing. Also I don't understand why our so-called leaders are on a pique or have such a grudge against us. You would think that they have more important problems to tend to then someone that is outdoors trying to enjoy themselves by choosing metal detecting as their recreation.
There is one thing these politicians need to remember "We are Voters too"!

If everyone followed the Metal Detecting Code of Ethics, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in.

If the government can't make money off of it, then they want to make it illegal. You can bet none of the Congressmen or Senators are detector hobbyists.:yes:
You would think the major detector manufacturers would hire lobbyists to fight anti-detecting legislation. At least they will have a hard time banning the hobby on private land.:yes:

If the government can't make money off of it, then they want to make it illegal. You can bet none of the Congressmen or Senators are detector hobbyists.:yes:
You would think the major detector manufacturers would hire lobbyists to fight anti-detecting legislation. At least they will have a hard time banning the hobby on private land.:yes:

We actually have some supporters in congress. We had the pleasure of Congressman John Culbertson from Texas joining us on a hunt here in VA.

I think the reason for animosity towards our hobby stems partly from some not respecting the Code of Ethics but also some peoples view of Metal Detecting as destroying history. I thing the Code should include the responsibility of one to document and research finds thoroughly. If we dont document a find, it looses a great part of its history after we are gone.

You are right!

Look what’s in the news, people found hunting battle ground at night with flashlights wearing camo. OR the guy found digging up a federally protected site looking for coins. Not to mention the people that leave gopher holes after finding something. I hate to say it but some MDers are our own worst enemies.

I would rather pay for a license to go metal detecting than have them just ban TH'ing altogether. I already have to buy a license to go fishing and hunting, I guess I can afford to buy another license to go MD'ing as long they don't place restrictions on where I'm allowed to go.
Also we do need to join an organization that will fight for our rights on Capital Hill,just like firearm owners have the NRA to fight for them.
Are there any Lawyers on this forum that can explain the laws about MD'ing or direct us to a source so we can research what laws exist and what Bills are being written to regulate TH'ing.
I feel as strongly about preserving our rights to enjoy our hobby as I do about my firearm rights and I will not sit quietly by and let our socalled leaders infringe on our rights. We need to ban together and write our representatives to educate them and let them know how we feel about these restrictive laws.We need a show of force to let them know how many of us TH and that we all vote.

Look what’s in the news, people found hunting battle ground at night with flashlights wearing camo. OR the guy found digging up a federally protected site looking for coins. Not to mention the people that leave gopher holes after finding something. I hate to say it but some MDers are our own worst enemies.

I know, there are a few selfish,dishonest,reckless idiots out there that are giving our hobby a bad image. But I feel the same about them as I do about criminals that use firearms to commit robberies and murders. They are making life hard for honest law abiding firearm owners.
I say anyone that is found looting,vandalizing and trespassing with a metal detector should be made an example of and face the full penalty of the law.Maybe if enough of them face jail time it will deter them from causing these problems in the future. But,I don't want to see more laws that restrict the rest of us honest,law abiding Metal detecting enthusiasts from enjoying our hobby.

If everyone followed the Metal Detecting Code of Ethics, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in.

Too true.

We keep getting people here claiming that the authorities want to ban the hobby. This is mostly by people who have been detecting for 20 or more years, and don't like any control. They think they should be able to detect where they want, when they want.
Most of us realize that any controls (within reason) are for the good of the hobby, and for the good of preserving the history of what we find.

This is why most of us in England and Wales realize what a good job the Portable Antiquities Scheme does.

It's a shame the US can't adopt a similar scheme, as I know a number of European countries eye it with some envy.

I also believe that there are certain places that should have reasonable controls like cemetaries,national monuments and battlefields wihin the NPS. I understand why they don't want people disturbing these areas. I just don't want an allout ban on metal detecting in national parks,beaches and other public gathering spots. I feel that if the general public is allowed to use these areas for their recreation,then we should be allowed to enjoy our recreation in these same places. If they don't want us digging on the beach,then they shouldn't allow people to build sand castles or let their children dig holes in the sand. I know that sounds petty,but it's fair. As far as the general public goes,I don't like alot of things they do.But,I'm not going to try a get a law passed to restrict them. Heck,I don't like seeing a bunch of college kids hanging around outside of Starbucks,but I don't go by yelling insults at them. People just need to stop worrying about other people that don't have the same interests as they do.

Good point.
I can't count the number of times that I have gotten permission to hunt a spot.
Then, I discover that someone else has already been there and left holes and trash everywhere. :mad:

Good point.
I can't count the number of times that I have gotten permission to hunt a spot.
Then, I discover that someone else has already been there and left holes and trash everywhere. :mad:

Yep that happens all over. At the last couple of rallies I've been to, we spend more time filling in other peoples holes, than digging our own.
You wouldn't believe the size of holes that some people dig. Then they leave rubbish at the side of the hole :mad:

I guess it's up to us to educate those that have never heard of the Code of Ethics and the ones that just don't have any Ethics (or honor,respect,consideration,etc,etc).
Maybe if we printed out the Code of Ethics and passed them out at places that allow MD'ing and pass them out to other TH'ers that we see.We will get the message out.
I got a freind that prints t-shirts. I'll have them make one up for me with the Code of Ethics on the back and wear it when I go MD'ing.

Back
Top Bottom