Help newbie with first purchase

Hilsat

Totally new to metal detectors and have no idea where to start. I live in sw Missouri some plains mostly hills. Looking for a decent metal detector for $600 or less, preferably less but willing to pay more if needed.
Have been looking at the ace 400, land ranger pro, Fisher f44, the treasure pro and treasure master. Not stuck on this group but they all seem to be popular.Probably be hunting for a variety of objects. Any advise will be appreciated.

all of us was in the same boat at one time as trying to decide which detector to start with when first getting into this hobby for me it took me a few months to decide but what did help me to eventually decide I was lucky enough to find a store in the area which I lived at the time which was in Ohio the guy that ran the store was gracious enough to come to my home and show me the differences in detectors after I had looked at them in his store I ended up starting out with the Mine Lab X Terra 705 the reason I went with the 705 was simply because I did not want to have to up grade in a few months after the purchase of the X Terra 705 my wife and I decided to get a detector for her and we ended up purchasing a AT PRO for her the X Terra 705 I still have and use to this day the AT PRO I have never been that impressed with and I am not saying by no means the AT PRO is a bad detector just me and it never did mesh the X TERRA 705 on the other hand in my opinion is one of the most under rated detectors on the market I have never felt the need to upgrade to something better I have been using the 705 now since 2008 or 2009 if I were to upgrade at this point I would have to wait for the new mine lab the Equinox to hit the market but rite now I am perfectly happy with the X Terra 705

Will you grow with a ace 400?

Discrimination is the key to any detector. You will want threshold, discrimination, and all metal mode for starters. While there is a learning curve, I completely agree with the AT Pro. You may also want a 5x8 coil.

Now there is some new detectors out there for a few hundred dollars more. I would say read as much as you can.

There is some really great choices out there.

all of us was in the same boat at one time as trying to decide which detector to start with when first getting into this hobby for me it took me a few months to decide but what did help me to eventually decide I was lucky enough to find a store in the area which I lived at the time which was in Ohio the guy that ran the store was gracious enough to come to my home and show me the differences in detectors after I had looked at them in his store I ended up starting out with the Mine Lab X Terra 705 the reason I went with the 705 was simply because I did not want to have to up grade in a few months after the purchase of the X Terra 705 my wife and I decided to get a detector for her and we ended up purchasing a AT PRO for her the X Terra 705 I still have and use to this day the AT PRO I have never been that impressed with and I am not saying by no means the AT PRO is a bad detector just me and it never did mesh the X TERRA 705 on the other hand in my opinion is one of the most under rated detectors on the market I have never felt the need to upgrade to something better I have been using the 705 now since 2008 or 2009 if I were to upgrade at this point I would have to wait for the new mine lab the Equinox to hit the market but rite now I am perfectly happy with the X Terra 705

Exactly! I fourth the AT Pro!

Watch a lot of youtube vids of the rigs you have an interest in...try to listen and figure out which one makes the most sense to YOUR ears...'pleasant sounding' and all that...you gotta like the tones or else its a tough go...

I would also recommend the AtPro for your area...I used to live in Neosho a long time ago and remember some nice little creeks and mill ponds and swimming holes I would like to go wade around in..lots of arrowheads in the plowed fields, lots of old mining towns around there when lead was mined, so of course good odds for old silver coins as well....a real nice part of the World to go exploring with a detector of any sort, but the AtPro should meet all the requirements and do right well in that area......

I'll plus one on the AT Pro.. I bought a AT pro for my wife (I have an CTX) and unfortunately she has no interest in the hobby. I've used it a couple times and they are very nice detectors. I'd post it for sale here, but although I've been a member on the forum since 2007, mostly read so don't have enough posts to post a classified. You'll be happy with a ATPro detector though I'm confident.
Good luck and have fun!

AT Pro. Easy to use and effective. It's a better machine than the F44 from my experience. Don't undercut yourself to save a few bucks. If you do then quickly decide to upgrade you'll be losing money in the long run.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a couple of more questions. I know of several old home places around that will be grown up with grass. Is this going to cause an issue for any detectors recommended? Are any better in these conditions? Also spotted the new whites mx7 is in my price range. Would this be one to throw in the mix or is it a no go.

decision

call DENNIS at METALDETECTORS.COM for a great deal on the detector of your choice I too would recommend the AT-PRO SERIES

call DENNIS at METALDETECTORS.COM for a great deal on the detector of your choice I too would recommend the AT-PRO SERIES

Thanks for the recommendation. Called Dennis and got a great deal on the at pro.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Nice friendly forum I'm going to like it here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom