National treasure found today!!!

Chefjuan

Elite Member
Ok, yes I had my detector but no, I didn't find it with it....

My son and I were on an adventure to explore the woods in search of a lost camp that I have been curious about. We had walked about 200' up an old road getting ready to head into the woods when I see this head pop up about 50' in front of us....The head of a bald eagle!!!!! Holy !!!

At first I thought it was down on the ground eating some carrion which they are known to do but as we got closer for a better photo it didn't move, closer, closer and I realized that it wasn't going anywhere!

We got on the phone and got in touch with a local bird rehabilitator and 30 minutes later it was under her wing and hopefully on its way to a full recovery. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Once in a lifetime experience for sure and I'll say my most eye popping mind blowing find to date!

b6cd4c12822f993b7073a9579da55183.jpg
3ba44dc9dcb32eddc315154a2f4a4b53.jpg

It is certainly an impressive sight. I hope it makes a speedy recovery is back fishing again soon.

I have never seen on in north central mass until this weekend. I take my dog walking in the morning at a park that runs along a river. Something big took off from the river. I figured it was my friend Clarence (Clarence is a Great Blue Heron that hunts this stretch of river). As it turns out, it was not in fact Clarence, but instead a Bald Eagle. Hawks I see around here all the time. An eagle? This was a first.

Now, I need to be careful. My dog is half cardigan corgi, half not cardigan corgi. While he is a giant among corgis, an enterprising bald eagle could swoop down, kill him, and eat him on the spot. At 30lb he is too big to be carried away, but not so big an eagle wouldn't at least think about it.

Poor thing. Wonder how it's wing got damaged? I'm assuming it was the wing

Actually the wings were fine, apparently it was suffering from heavy metal poisoning or toxicity. Here along the Hudson River the fish population is getting higher and higher levels of mercury and lead in their systems and the eagles which eat fish build up levels in their system which poisons them!! So tragic! Apparently they can help them through it though before it kills them so we have our fingers crossed that it will make a full recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the wings were fine, apparently it was suffering from heavy metal poisoning or toxicity. Here along the Hudson River the fish population is getting higher and higher levels of mercury and lead in their systems and the eagles which eat fish build up levels in their system which poisons them!! So tragic! Apparently they can help them through it though before it kills them so we have our fingers crossed that it will make a full recovery.

:shock:

Geez! Would not have guessed that!

As I recall, they use a process called chelation (SP?) I hd a marine biologist friend who used to do this with ducks in Louisiana. sort of a dialysis for wildlife.

Of course now you have to find some type of eagle Coin for your son to commemorate this event.
:cool::cool12::coolpics::whoohoo:

Yep. They can also be poisoned by lead from hunters' bullets in lost game. That's happened a few times, up here. Nice story! Extra style points for getting it to help. Raptor rehab folks are awesome.

It is certainly an impressive sight. I hope it makes a speedy recovery is back fishing again soon.

I have never seen on in north central mass until this weekend. I take my dog walking in the morning at a park that runs along a river. Something big took off from the river. I figured it was my friend Clarence (Clarence is a Great Blue Heron that hunts this stretch of river). As it turns out, it was not in fact Clarence, but instead a Bald Eagle. Hawks I see around here all the time. An eagle? This was a first.

Now, I need to be careful. My dog is half cardigan corgi, half not cardigan corgi. While he is a giant among corgis, an enterprising bald eagle could swoop down, kill him, and eat him on the spot. At 30lb he is too big to be carried away, but not so big an eagle wouldn't at least think about it.

:laughing: I've seen many eagles in central MA. Quaboag pond in the Brookfields has been known to house a couple, we usually throw our dead shiners to them while we are ice fishing. Also as you know the Quabbin reservoir is a great place to see them, along with many other rare creatures. About a month ago I saw a bobcat around midnight, about 100' from my driveway. It walked across the road in front of my high beams all nonchalant like. Makes me second guess hunting at night.
Great post thanks for sharing!

He's lucky you happened to take a walk out there today . He may not have made it if you hadn't . Congrats , and thank you for helping to save a piece of our national treasures today . May that $ 20 double eagle you are entitled to be a 1933 .:D

He's lucky you happened to take a walk out there today . He may not have made it if you hadn't . Congrats , and thank you for helping to save a piece of our national treasures today . May that $ 20 double eagle you are entitled to be a 1933 .:D

Oh man that would be swweeeeet! Lol but who is carrying those around in their pockets... Dunno but I'll find it! Actually I'm hoping for a flying eagle cent, that would make me happy!

Oh man that would be swweeeeet! Lol but who is carrying those around in their pockets... Dunno but I'll find it! Actually I'm hoping for a flying eagle cent, that would make me happy!

Well , good luck just the same , you and your son deserve it .

Back
Top Bottom