Dragging your scoop

TheCoilist

Elite Member
So, ok everyone talks about dragging their scoop. I haven't seen anyone drag a scoop. Do you guys just tie the scoop off of your belt and literally drag it behind you on the beach? How does that work?

Sorry for such a naive question, trying to find a good method to use outside of lugging this thing around in one hand. I didn't want a belt hanger to hang it from as this thing would pull my pants right down! LOL the TREX is a beast

I drag the tip of my scoop on the bottom so I can see where I have been in the water. Works if it isn't too wavy.

I have a little aluminum easter basket on a stick for the dry sand, it doesn't get used much.

Depends. If it's dark i just drag it behind me to leave myself a clear line when gridding.
In the daylight, it's on my shoulder.

I use an eye bolt in the handle of my scoop with a clip on 4 ft tether coming from my equipment belt. I do drag my scoop with the tether except is rough water or strong currents. There will be lots of other methods that are comfortable for others.

If there are a lot of targets, I drag the scoop with my hand and clip the tether to my belt.

I drag on dry/wet sand most of the time on an empty beach. With the stealth I just hold the handle in my left hand and trail the stealth behind. It leaves a large grated look on the beach - kind of messy but good for making a good trail back the other way.

2 things to consider:
1. The scoop might fill with sand depending on how you decide to drag it.
2. Putting the scoop on your shoulder will feel lighter over time and cause less fatigue.

Dragging your scoops will wear them out faster... sand and gravel is abrasive... :yes:

I drilled a hole through the end of the handle of my scoop tied off a line in a loop through it. I bought a carabiner clip and put the big retainer hook on my belt and loop the line on the back hook. I drag the scoop and have a free hand. Even in the water in breaking waves I've never had the loop come off. I always drag my scoops

Attachments

• carabiner.JPG
    carabiner.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 422
I carry

The scoop in front of my right shoulder,and by the grab handle,this is why I keep the handle low on the handle,Earl

Attachments

• 20111012_1.JPG
    20111012_1.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 388
My hunting partner drags her scoop behind her and leaves a trail so she can she where she has hunted on the beach sand..She grids really well and finds many goodies..I sometimes do the same if I am griding the sand also..It does make ie easy to see where you have been...this is also the small mesh scoop with the long handle...had mine about 4 years and can not wear that thing out....Buster.....:yes:

Thanks guys! The beaches I hunt at may require a belt clip since we are usually busy. In the winter the beaches are empty and dragging might be a good way to grid.

I am looking at the Stavr 2.22 soon since it is lighter. But the TREX being the beast that it is quite a brute in the crowds. I don't want to kill anyone with it. LOL

Where did you get that Carbiner/belt clip?

Most out here drag scoops. Otherwise you will keep detecting the same area over and over again. If you do city blocks it isn't necessary. Small areas its pretty much a necessity. I even got a way to tell if they are my dragmarks or someone elses. Last hunt 4 guys all went over the same area. I went 10 feet lower and hit the gold bracelet.:roll:

My hunting partner drags her scoop behind her and leaves a trail so she can she where she has hunted on the beach sand..She grids really well and finds many goodies..I sometimes do the same if I am griding the sand also..It does make ie easy to see where you have been...this is also the small mesh scoop with the long handle...had mine about 4 years and can not wear that thing out....Buster.....:yes:

BUSTER!!!

Good to see ya here!

I always carry mine on my shoulder, whether dry sand or water hunting...

734794_10152412315915635_808718214_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom