1807 farm produces ????

Bucktrout

Found 2 items at an old farm. First one I believe is a HUGE flat button - back is a little strange so I am not sure. Second piece really has me puzzled. It's made of lead- has the patina to be very old, and it's holed to be worn like a medallion. Any ideas for both would be appreciated.
IMG_4479.jpg
IMG_4480.JPG
IMG_4481.jpg
IMG_4482.jpg

I believe the lead object is a fishing sinker. Not sure about the first item. I've never encountered a button with that type of backing. Cool finds.

I believe the lead object is a fishing sinker. Not sure about the first item. I've never encountered a button with that type of backing. Cool finds.

It's pretty flat for a sinker, but maybe your right. Thanks for the idea I had not thought of a fishing sinker.

I'm 95% certain the first piece is a leveling foot from some piece of equipment, appliance or maybe even a bed. Looks like the base of the raised part may be hexagonal to allow it to be turned with a wrench. If so, the inside of the hole should be threaded.

The second piece is a marker tag. 100% certain, without a doubt. It would have been nailed into a post, pole, tree or any number of things for various reasons and would have been stamped or carved with relevant info. Lead was used because it could withstand the elements and could be easily melted down and reused. My great-grandpa on my mom's side would nail them the gates separating his cows to keep track of when to move the bulls and calves. He'd nail them to planks in different sections of the smokehouse and go in everyday to scratch a tally mark on each tag to keep track of how many days each batch had been smoking. I remember as a kid asking him if he ever thought that he'd forgotten that he had already been in the smokehouse that day and accidentally scratched an extra mark. He told me that he did forget from time to time, but that he could always tell if he, or someone else, had already been in by looking at the tally mark because it would be shinier than the rest until the next day. I always thought that was the neatest thing. He also used the tags and tallies when salt curing fish. I've got a lot of fond memories of making and checking tags with him. My grandma, grandpa and great uncles on my dad's side used them as trail markers for their moonshine operation to locate the whiskey they stashed out in the woods to age. I've got a few fond memories of that, too.

I apologize if that was too much information. Lol

I'm 95% certain the first piece is a leveling foot from some piece of equipment, appliance or maybe even a bed. Looks like the base of the raised part may be hexagonal to allow it to be turned with a wrench. If so, the inside of the hole should be threaded.

The second piece is a marker tag. 100% certain, without a doubt..

No need to apologize those are great memories - especially the moon shine lol.
The conical of the first piece looks spun - as if put on a lathe and the hole is circular as well.
Marking tag makes sense too. Thanks

The second piece is a marker tag. 100% certain, without a doubt. It would have been nailed into a post, pole, tree or any number of things for various reasons and would have been stamped or carved with relevant info. Lead was used because it could withstand the elements and could be easily melted down and reused. My great-grandpa on my mom's side would nail them the gates separating his cows to keep track of when to move the bulls and calves. He'd nail them to planks in different sections of the smokehouse and go in everyday to scratch a tally mark on each tag to keep track of how many days each batch had been smoking. I remember as a kid asking him if he ever thought that he'd forgotten that he had already been in the smokehouse that day and accidentally scratched an extra mark. He told me that he did forget from time to time, but that he could always tell if he, or someone else, had already been in by looking at the tally mark because it would be shinier than the rest until the next day. I always thought that was the neatest thing. He also used the tags and tallies when salt curing fish. I've got a lot of fond memories of making and checking tags with him. My grandma, grandpa and great uncles on my dad's side used them as trail markers for their moonshine operation to locate the whiskey they stashed out in the woods to age. I've got a few fond memories of that, too.

Its always nice to see the history of a found item, thanks for sharing!

It looks like the first item has writing on it (on the pointy side), or am I seeing things? It almost looks like part of a pop-up sink drain.

It looks like the first item has writing on it (on the pointy side), or am I seeing things? It almost looks like part of a pop-up sink drain.

I’ve been trying- but I can’t see any writing. Sometimes I see what might be a letter but nothing really comes thru.

Back
Top Bottom