Getting ridiculous in Illinois

fledge

Starting to get frustrated with northern Il. I spent the morning calling and talking with individual towns and counties checking on MD ordinances. Every county forestpreserve Lake, Kane, Dupage, Will, Cook, Mchenry etc do not allow metal detecting. We live in the suburbs the reason its called a preserve is it is the only older non fill areas around. Out of 23 cities the majority had no ordinances but 5 said you can metal detect but no digging or removing items. So I stopped calling cause that answer peaved me off. Don't bs around it like that, just ban metal detecting or would it look too much like banning a simple hobby.:mad:

Go west, young man.

Winnebago County allows it in the forest preserves, but you need to drop $10 for a photo permit. Individual towns have their own rules but I can tell you that you can MD the Rockford parks, again, after a permit is purchased.

Sucks a little, but I know I can MD in plenty of places here.

There are new people getting into this hobby every day. If I could give them some advice, it would be to first check for any local ordinances online. If there aren't any, and the parks aren't specifically marked with "No metal detecting" signs, go for it! Outta sight, outta mind.

There are new people getting into this hobby every day. If I could give them some advice, it would be to first check for any local ordinances online. If there aren't any, and the parks aren't specifically marked with "No metal detecting" signs, go for it! Outta sight, outta mind.

Most of the park districts that told me no couldn't tell me the ordinance number. I will still hit one town that said no cause I have been detecting there the last 4 years with no issue. I have even talked with the cops when they ask find anything good?

Thanks all I just sent an email to all the forest preserves. Here is a copy may not do anything but worth a shot:

I do know that it is not allowed to dig or remove any items from the preserves while metal detecting, but my question is has anyone ever suggested the regulation of metal detecting. In Winnebago county you can hunt the forest preserves with the purchase of a 1 year permit. It is just like having a fishing license and comes with rules an responsibilities. If these are broken you lose the right to detect. Most of us are very responsible nature loving people who take pride in a hobby that gets us outside. In my opinion this way you would be able to weed out the ones who are going to cause problems with the plant life that you are trying to protect they break the rules they lose there right to detect. I ask that this just be considered as an option, because I would love to be able to detect the area that I live in. I have included the pdf of the Winnebago county regulations.

That's a good letter. I forgot to mention that here in Winnebago County the forest preserves and the parks run by the City of Rockford each require a permit. The park permit is $7 for residents and $10 for non-residents. Winnebago County forest preserves are $10 for all. They are taking a harder line these past couple years. They even regulate geocaching basically the same way. The counties you have a problem with might like the possibility of another revenue stream, even if it's not very big.

Good luck with your efforts. I would be happy to email the same people as well. Strength in numbers.

I live in Moline/Quad Cities (due west across the state from Chicago). I've hunted in a few local parks, though most of my hunting has been done on private property. I've said "hello" to police officers on two occasions when hunting city parks- no issue with that. Perhaps it becomes an issue when it's a historic area or state park.

Cool If you want to send an email also you can find the email addresses on there websites. That's what I did. Also not a problem with state parks since you need a permit to hunt them I was talking about city parks some have no dig ordinances to protect the grass and plants.

Sometime it's worse when you open a door to the word no. What I mean is sometimes you can over ask permission. I would look for other areas to detect instead of parks like schools, private residence(with permission of course) or look for foreclosed homes or rental units or abandoned homes and hunt the sidewalk strip(between the sidewalk and street). These are city right of ways and you can usually get by hunting them with great success. If you ask any official if detecting is legal make sure if they say no they give you a copy of the ordinance that says that, do not take their word for it make them prove it to you. Sometimes if they do not know they will just say no, it is easier for them that way. Good luck and HH.

Just look east into Indiana. Do you know how many people, everyday, tell me......."You need to go do that on the beach!". They don't realize that a good 90% of huntable beaches in Indiana (Lake Michigan sorry) is Federal Property. It's called the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Anymore I don't tell 'em about, I just say "Really! I never thought of going to the beach!". I have a select few beaches to hunt but these ARE NOT the ones that everyone speaks of.

And what kills me is that these "locals" have no clue that the beaches are part of a federal park system....and park rangers on 4x4's.

Rob I did dunes state park last year on the day after labor day. It opens up till spring on the beach only. I did not find squat. The really sad part is that you can only go in the water if there is a life gaurd on duty. But after labor day there are no life guards on duty. Catch 22.

I agree, sometimes it seems like the best approach is to hunt and apologize later if necessary.

I can agree with that I did however get two replies both Dupage and Kane are going to pass on my email to the Director of parks hopefully something will come of this.:iwish:

I can agree with that I did however get two replies both Dupage and Kane are going to pass on my email to the Director of parks hopefully something will come of this.:iwish:

Unfortunately all I can see happening, is that if this occurs enough they will eventually take the time to specifically outlaw it. If there aren't any laws or ordinances on the webpage, or signs against it at the park, school, etc, then just go. The more officials talk about it, the more likely some uneducated fool rallies to ban it.

Unfortunately all I can see happening, is that if this occurs enough they will eventually take the time to specifically outlaw it. If there aren't any laws or ordinances on the webpage, or signs against it at the park, school, etc, then just go. The more officials talk about it, the more likely some uneducated fool rallies to ban it.

There are ordinances banning it on there websites. No signs though I really want to go back to where this all started pulled a 1919 buffalo with my Compadre at 5". I know there is more there!!

There are ordinances banning it on there websites. No signs though I really want to go back to where this all started pulled a 1919 buffalo with my Compadre at 5". I know there is more there!!

Oh ok...well then I'd advise against hunting it if there are actual ordinances. As much as I hate to follow such a stupid rule, being known as a bunch of lawbreakers would be worse for the hobby.

I completely agree which is why I haven't gone back. I am goin to ask for permission because right next door is a ski park which is obviously closed during the summer and there property line is right next to the spot we found.

Back
Top Bottom