PA Parks

From what I have been told you should ask the ranger for permission before going in. If you want to ask a bunch of PA guys, and are on FB join my group, Pennsylvania Metal Detectors.

I have hunted a lot at a local State Park this past week. Made a killing too. No problems and no hassles. I believe the rules are not at any over night camp or cabin areas. Besides that you are good to go. I have talked to rangers and maintnence workers and everyone has been polite and just curious. No one actually knew their own policies an asked me if I did lmao.

From what I have been told you should ask the ranger for permission before going in. If you want to ask a bunch of PA guys, and are on FB join my group, Pennsylvania Metal Detectors.

If you do a search nothing shows at all for your group...

state parks

From my experience, they vary how they do things. Call the park you want to hunt. Some require permits and some just want you to check in at the office. They also vary as to where and when they'll let you hunt.

We do a late winter early spring get a way witht he kids to World's End State Park in Forksville. I'm new to MDing, but called the Park Office and they said in most trails and areas in the park it's OK. They said I would nend to check in with them when I arrive and let them know I will be using my MD.

I've hunted at 3 local state parks here in PA. I sent an email to all 3 requesting permission. Here were the responses:

First Park- Stop in at the park office and fill out a permission form. I stop in and no one knew anything about any form. They try to look it up and said they couldn't find any information on it. Told me to go have fun.

Second Park--Stop in the office to get a form to fill out. I stop in and once again they know nothing of any forms. They look it up and read me the rules off the state website. The guy was pretty nice about it. When he got to the part about checking in with the office about any finds, he chuckled and said that he didn't expect me to check in anything valuable. When he got to the part about not using shovels, spades and trowels to dig, he told me to fill my holes and use whatever I wanted to use. = D

Third Park--Told me there was a 10-16 week wait for permits. "Due to the high number of persons detecting, we have restricted a number of permits for use in any given year. The permits are good for 180 days and you will receive a form to fill out, when an opening occurs."

I have sent an email to a regional park office to see if that is even legal. = D

I've hunted at 3 local state parks here in PA. I sent an email to all 3 requesting permission. Here were the responses:

First Park- Stop in at the park office and fill out a permission form. I stop in and no one knew anything about any form. They try to look it up and said they couldn't find any information on it. Told me to go have fun.

Second Park--Stop in the office to get a form to fill out. I stop in and once again they know nothing of any forms. They look it up and read me the rules off the state website. The guy was pretty nice about it. When he got to the part about checking in with the office about any finds, he chuckled and said that he didn't expect me to check in anything valuable. When he got to the part about not using shovels, spades and trowels to dig, he told me to fill my holes and use whatever I wanted to use. = D

Third Park--Told me there was a 10-16 week wait for permits. "Due to the high number of persons detecting, we have restricted a number of permits for use in any given year. The permits are good for 180 days and you will receive a form to fill out, when an opening occurs."

I have sent an email to a regional park office to see if that is even legal. = D

How do you determine the individual email address to an exact park

How do you determine the individual email address to an exact park

You do not need permission. Has anyone even looked at the link I posted? Lol there is no forms to fill out at any state park and there is no permit needed. I have spent the last week at the state parks. I know lol

You do not need permission. Has anyone even looked at the link I posted? Lol there is no forms to fill out at any state park and there is no permit needed. I have spent the last week at the state parks. I know lol

"Who To Contact
Individuals who want to use a metal detector in a state park must receive prior approval from the specific park manager on-site at the park and report items which are found and will be removed from the park. Contact a Park"

You need permission. I know at Pinchot you must have the form/permit you fill out at the office with you. There are signs posted at pinchot indicating this!

Every state park I have gone to has asked me why I was even asking. Thats 4 parks so far. Everyone has said there is no permit needed. No one has even asked what I have found. After even an hour discussion with rangers they all said I was the first person to ever ask for permission. One ranger even advise I look along the border of one of the national historic areas where a furnace is now open to the public. Marsh Creek, French Creek, Blue Marsh Lake and Hibernian county parks don't care.

If you are so worried go ask for permission or whatever but I never will. No point when no one cares anyway. Asking is a waste of time in my opinion. Do whatever yourself like. While you are asking I'll be hinting with out an issue.

each state park is different, some require nothing, some require a permit.
blue marsh is not a state park, its run by the army corp.

Every state park I have gone to has asked me why I was even asking. Thats 4 parks so far. Everyone has said there is no permit needed. No one has even asked what I have found. After even an hour discussion with rangers they all said I was the first person to ever ask for permission. One ranger even advise I look along the border of one of the national historic areas where a furnace is now open to the public. Marsh Creek, French Creek, Blue Marsh Lake and Hibernian county parks don't care.

If you are so worried go ask for permission or whatever but I never will. No point when no one cares anyway. Asking is a waste of time in my opinion. Do whatever yourself like. While you are asking I'll be hinting with out an issue.

The state site indicates that individual parks vary on the topic of permission. The 3 I sent emails to are good examples. 2 of them don't use forms and the 3rd does. Also it states very clearly that permission must be granted. I'll post the info straight from the site, so nothing can be taken out of context.

Metal Detecting in State Parks

The reasonable use of metal detectors is permitted in quite a few state parks. However, metal detecting is not permitted where this activity would conflict with a facility in use, nor is it permitted within fenced areas of swimming pool complexes.

Metal detecting on beaches and in lake swimming areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore from the Tuesday after Labor Day until the Saturday prior to Memorial Day, unless posted otherwise. During the summer season, metal detecting in beach and swimming areas will be at the discretion of the Park Manager based on his knowledge of the use and type of facility. Metal detecting in other underwater areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore if it does not conflict with other activities or have potential for causing damage to the facility.

Many state park areas have the potential for the recovery of valuable historical objects. State park areas with this potential may have part or all of their area closed to metal detecting.
Fees

There is no fee charged for metal detecting in PA State Parks.
Hours Permitted to Metal Detect

Metal detecting is permitted only from sunrise to sunset.
Digging Tools

Shovels, spades, garden trowels, and other similar tools may not be used to dig into or turn over ground areas that are covered by turf, vegetation, shrubs, or trees. The only permissible digging tools are screwdrivers, ice picks, and other similar narrow pronged devices.
Finding Items

The finding of historical objects in any state park area should be handled by first contacting the park manager of the particular park. In addition, persons should consult the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission if they are seeking or find historical artifacts.

Individuals shall report items which are found and will be removed from the park.
Who To Contact

Individuals who want to use a metal detector in a state park must receive prior approval from the specific park manager on-site at the park and report items which are found and will be removed from the park. Contact a Park(link on site)

At least I think its clear that one should at least venture a trip to the park office if its your first time there. Then you can be privy to their rules and regulations adhering to that specific park. Also many parks will have a few areas that are off limits.

Thank you for all your answers even if seem to have started some kind of energetic debate lol

Always ask permission or make sure you are within the law. No debate.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom