Anyone else have bird feeders?

agbkyle

Forum Supporter
What kind of bird is this? :)

Attachments

• squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 173
It's a Dumbrodentus Fleabagii. It's natural enemy is the car, because when they are crossing the street and are almost clear, when a car approaches they will double back into the car's path. We are infested with them.

I saw a device on America's Funniest Home Videos which I think was a modified clay pigeon thrower, which would throw the rodent back out into the yard if it tried to take the bait. I'm not mean (or ambitious) enough to build one, though. Our feeder is spring loaded, and only accessible from the top by dumb rodents, and if they do, their weight causes the feeder to close. I'm trying to attract and feed Cardinals and similar birds, not freeloading furballs that destroy my garden.

-- Tom

The eastern busytailed freeloading treerat. The best method for keeping them away from bird feeders is the common .22 caliber rimfire. Hollow point, of course. They can be made into a killer potpie, btw..........:lol: Kinda like killin' two birds with one stone...................

Fountain Bird

achaios, I saw that same squirrel launching video. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. Didn't hurt the animal, just sent him flying.

I've got bird feeders, hummingbird feeders, and this fountain in my backyard with a yellow bird that comes by about 2-3 times per day for a bath. I can get within 3 feet of him before he spooks.

OT

Attachments

• key west 172.jpg
    key west 172.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 164
It's a Dumbrodentus Fleabagii. It's natural enemy is the car, because when they are crossing the street and are almost clear, when a car approaches they will double back into the car's path. We are infested with them.

I saw a device on America's Funniest Home Videos which I think was a modified clay pigeon thrower, which would throw the rodent back out into the yard if it tried to take the bait. I'm not mean (or ambitious) enough to build one, though. Our feeder is spring loaded, and only accessible from the top by dumb rodents, and if they do, their weight causes the feeder to close. I'm trying to attract and feed Cardinals and similar birds, not freeloading furballs that destroy my garden.

-- Tom

:lol::)
Yep, I believe this is the one....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

I like to call them nothing more then "fancy tail rats".......

We had similar problems with these varmints, jumping into our feeders and either eating all the good stuff, or actually kick out everything to the ground to take what they wanted. To solve this pirate invasion by added a shield over the top of our feeders. For it to work, your feeder has to be hanging and far enough away from other branches or limbs so they can't leap onto your feeder.

http://www.birds-n-garden.com/bird_feeder_accessories_squirrel_baffles.html

Just google: bird feeder shields....and tons of ideas will come up....

That video still kills me. I have to think it's the same stupid squirrel who keeps coming back. Either that or he tells his squirrel pals to avoid the plastic bucket but they don't listen.

Thanks for the link.

OT

3 feeders for the goldfinches,1 reg seedfeeder,1 suet feeder,1 hummingbird feeder.We have had more trouble with chipmunks until this spring when a pair of redtail hawks made a nest in a tall pine tree .Now few chipmunks and there most of the time there running for cover.The hawks do dive bomb the chickens when there walking around the yard,I can hear the flegling hawks now,we see what they do.

Attachments

• bunting 005.JPG
    bunting 005.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 161
RI, what kind of blue bird is that? Is it the bird known as a "Blue Bird"? If it is, I always thought blue birds were a midwest creature. Like west of the mountains, Ohio Valley area.

Nice photo. Birds are OK.

OT

It's a male Indigo Bunting.We've had a pair at the feeder daily since early spring.We get Bluebirds too they have a brown chest.We have birdhouse's set up on low fence posts but they never nest some other birds alway beat them to the boxes.

The "fountain bird" appears to be a Quaker Parrot, which is now wild in Florida. It's not a native, it was introduced. It has another name, but I can't recall what it is.

-- Tom

The "fountain bird" appears to be a Quaker Parrot, which is now wild in Florida. It's not a native, it was introduced. It has another name, but I can't recall what it is.

-- Tom

I must confess I don't know my birds very well. I did not know what my "canary" was. I do not see this kind of bird all over the place. I believe my fountain bird is the only one like it I've seen. It's been around all summer.

The Indigo Bunting is very pretty. Blue is my favorite color and that bird really catches your eye because there is not much blue color in the animal world.

We get seasonal flights of all kinds of northern birds through here in fall. They are already starting to show up. Some go all the way to South America from Canada. Sometimes when you are out at sea, the tired birds will land on your boat for a rest. Once I had several dozen finch-like buggers of tan and red flitting all over the rigging of my sailboat 200 miles at sea. Not a speck of land or other boat in sight.

OT

I have a bird feeder for the first picture its made by Marlin its a lever action style feeder. In the fall my favorite bird feeder is a winchester 12g auto seems most birds and squirrels around here have a lead deficiency

Actually, now that I look at it again, the fountain bird might be an escaped or feral cockatiel. It still could be a Quaker Parrot, aka Monk Parakeet. It's a pretty bird in either case.

-- Tom

Achaios, thanks for mentioning the squirrel launcher, I spent quite some time on youtube laughing..........
I don't have a birdfeeder, but a a series of small ponds in my backyard and several birdhouses I've built. The pond is just outside my kitchen window, and I enjoy watching all the Insects, birds, a chipmunk, a squirrel, etc. that are drawn in by the water, especially in the hot weather. Even a tiny pond can provide a lot of entertainment and relaxation. Mine's only around 50-60 gallons.

99% of the birds I'm seeing are sparrows so far this year. When I do see a pretty one, most of the time I am at a loss to identify it. Saw one american goldfinch this year, bright yellow........

The frog is about 2 inches long, he just turned up and moved in this year, first one I've had in the pond in about 5 years.

Attachments

• endofsummer2008fallfair 029.jpg
    endofsummer2008fallfair 029.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 102
  • endofsummer2008fallfair 060.jpg
    endofsummer2008fallfair 060.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 97
  • froginpond 003.jpg
    froginpond 003.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 7-31-09pics 044.jpg
    7-31-09pics 044.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 114
Your bottom picture shows one of the better robin's nests I've seen. There are a lot of them in our area, and sometimes build nests in really dumb places, often falling prey to the cats our neighbors foist off on the rest of the neighborhood (cats are fine, but they live longer if you keep them indoors). Last year, we had one build a nest in a small Rose-Of-Sharon bush, about 3 1/2' off the ground. Only one chick, and I think he fell out too early, and a cat got him. He was under our porch for a bit, but the nest was too shoddily constructed to even think about trying to put him back in.

-- Tom

digdug, is that a security camera in the fake bird house that the robin has taken to? I think I see a lens you sly dog.

OT

Back
Top Bottom