old half dime

randy

Forum Supporter
This is sort of unbelievable. Had some time this afternoon and went to scout some areas that looked good on the aerials, but they were off-limits without permission.

Decided to try to snag some bling on the way home along the soccer field of a modern park, but the field was in use. Volleyball courts were rock hard, so I just went to an out of the way corner to pass the time since it was such a nice day.

First target was +53 @ 4 inches which is almost always a zincoln on the V3 -- I often don't dig 'em but they can also be silver earrings so I said what the heck. Couldn't believe it was an 1800 half dime. :sweet: :sweet: :sweet: This park was developed not more than 20 or 30 years ago. Scratched it 'cause I thought there was no chance that it would be a worthwhile target :mad: I'm much more careful at old sites. Oh well, very costly mistake. Added a pic with the dirt on it case someone wants do believe I didn't dig it, 'cause I certainly don't. :lol:

Attachments

• 060710.jpg
    060710.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,673
  • 060710a.jpg
    060710a.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,554
:yikes: :shock: Sweet!!
She's a real beauty!! In great shape too!
To bad about the ding :doah: Oh well I'd take one with a ding in it :aok:
Congrats :D

It looks like it is in good shape besides the scratch i bet you were kicking yourself for doing that . But i do the same thing sometimes if i think im diging junk.

Please don't hate me for saying this but is there any chance you have found a modern reproduction??? Something about the coin reminds me of those knock-offs I see on Ebay. Again, I am not a hater, just posing the question...

If that's real you've got something seriously amazing. Good idea about checking about it's authenticity though. The detail seems way too fine. Also if you haven't found anything else near that age or even 100 years newer it may suggest a fake. Looks real though and I'd be thrilled. VERY NICE job!!!!

It looks real to me, but I am certainly no expert. If its fake, I'm still counting it as a silver, and not feeling bad about the scratch :lol:

I seriously doubt it's a fake. Just a gut feeling. If I was going to plant a fake it would not be in such an obscure location.

And if I was going to manufacture a fake it would be of a larger coin and probably gold.

I've dug a Mercury dime out of a modern sand box that was not 20 years old. Coin must have come with the sand. The only gold coin I ever found was on Dog Beach and it had to have come in from Miami where the sand was trucked in from. This was a 10 dollar gold piece of 1853 and I found it in about 6 inches of new sand. Dog Beach is not a natural beach. No beach in Key West is. My point is, that half dime may have come in with top soil from some other location.

Back
Top Bottom