Hey, you awesome leathersmiths...

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Thinking to make a belt loop holder for an accessory. I ordered some leather scraps off Fleabay, but what do you use underneath the leather to make it rigid?

I've had some leather things fall apart after years and it looks like some have a thin tough almost like toilet paper roll backing? Like very stiff cardboard, but thinner.

Also if you could, any advice on hand sewing needles that go through leather and that backing easier? And what type "threading" might hold up best? I don't have a machine, so I'll be "roughing it".

Planning to stitch the leather outsides together inside out, then flip it right side in and slide the tough backing inside. Does this sound anything like the right way to do it? I have sewn things before, but not familiar working anything with this tough of a texture. Any tips are appreciated! Thanks!

BUZZ WILSON might be the guy to talk to about that.

I know he's very good, seen a lot of his excellent work here. There are a few others that fab stuff out of leather too, so any input would be appreciated! The more the merrier!

On a side note, I think the leather scraps I bought are like the outer fake leather pieces, not like the thick cowhide ones most of you guys probably work with. I'm assuming I'll need to use glue to bind it together, with the stitching on the outside. So new to trying something like this, but I think with your tips I can get it to look good and function well.

Belt keepers are like $4 this what you're talking about?

img_2814__76331.1430938690.168.168.jpg

Dude, no need to berate yourself...that is bad ass! Almost exactly what I want to make, but with the rounded hook type pieces. NICE WORK on that!

Thanks! Instead of sheet metal for a stiffner, you can use some type of sturdy plastic as well...

<°)))>{

Thanks! Instead of sheet metal for a stiffner, you can use some type of sturdy plastic as well...

<°)))>{

The sheet metal backing like you used might actually work better. It doesn't need to be super strong, but sometimes plastic actually starts to age and get brittle. I think sheet metal would be thinner too. Those T nuts are exactly what I need, I had no idea what they were called. Can you get those at any ol hardware store?

Thanks for the great ideas guys!

Nowadays I use an Awl and regular old Spiderwire fishing line for thread...back in the days of Tandy Leather, there was all sorts of needles and waxed thread around...I still got some here...

I get all my rawhide material off the road....dead deer along the road are plentiful...just jump out and quickly peel off a slab of their back leather for projects...takes less than a minute if you are quick with a blade, nobody gives a damn....take it home and do the process work....easy as pie.... for roadkilled porcupines, just pull over and give them a slap with a towel for all the quills you need to do designs and whatnot...
Mud

Nowadays I use an Awl and regular old Spiderwire fishing line for thread...back in the days of Tandy Leather, there was all sorts of needles and waxed thread around...I still got some here...

I get all my rawhide material off the road....dead deer along the road are plentiful...just jump out and quickly peel off a slab of their back leather for projects...takes less than a minute if you are quick with a blade, nobody gives a damn....take it home and do the process work....easy as pie.... for roadkilled porcupines, just pull over and give them a slap with a towel for all the quills you need to do designs and whatnot...
Mud

Lol! Deer are kinda obscure around here in Dallas, and even if I could find one...I don't think the criminal investigators or game wardens would think too highly of me for stripping some skin off. They might just think I'm a new serial killer case or something. Neighbor, "Well, he seemed totally normal but we did hear rumors of him torturing animals when he was younger." :laughing:

I do understand what you are saying though, Mud. Just not much opportunity to find that really quick around the area. I do have some 80lb braided spiderwire though, that's a great idea! I bet a small awl would help also! I knew there were tools that the pro leathersmiths used, but had no idea what they were or what to call them. Thanks Mud!!!

You guys are almost making me feel like I might be able to pull this little do-dob off! Thanks for all the thoughts!

RECYCLE!!

For the metal backing, a flattened drink can

For your needles, Straightened fish hooks from beach digging

For "Thread", reclaimed fish line & leader, again from beach finds

Forge your own hook from reclaimed lead sinkers

Leather from Road Kill

There you go!!

RECYCLE!!

For the metal backing, a flattened drink can

For your needles, Straightened fish hooks from beach digging

For "Thread", reclaimed fish line & leader, again from beach finds

Forge your own hook from reclaimed lead sinkers

Leather from Road Kill

There you go!!

I haven't jumped on that craze yet. If I buy something and it's made from recycled content, that's fine but I'm not going to go all out and try to save the planet. With me attempting this, I'm sure it'll look crappy enough. With crappy tools and supplies, it could only get worse! :laughing:

Mud

Dang Mud... you crack me up. I should follow your logic though. There is enough road kill around here to keep a Nike sweatshop going for years.

Dang Mud... you crack me up. I should follow your logic though. There is enough road kill around here to keep a Nike sweatshop going for years.

I actually have friends that have processed them (deer), if it was recently hit. One of my buddies totalled his little Corolla, but made some stupendous venison jerky that he shared!

I have no problems with getting a fresh kill if I see it happen. Done it a few times in the past. Heck was talking to a cop one time a new when he got a call of a car/deer accident and followe him to the scene. I do avoid the bloated ones and the naturally dehydrated jerky I see along side of the road though.

Thinking to make a belt loop holder for an accessory. I ordered some leather scraps off Fleabay, but what do you use underneath the leather to make it rigid?

I've had some leather things fall apart after years and it looks like some have a thin tough almost like toilet paper roll backing? Like very stiff cardboard, but thinner.

Also if you could, any advice on hand sewing needles that go through leather and that backing easier? And what type "threading" might hold up best? I don't have a machine, so I'll be "roughing it".

Planning to stitch the leather outsides together inside out, then flip it right side in and slide the tough backing inside. Does this sound anything like the right way to do it? I have sewn things before, but not familiar working anything with this tough of a texture. Any tips are appreciated! Thanks!

Being here in Dallas, just pop over to one of the Tandy stores and get everything you need for that project...

Back
Top Bottom