Metal Detecting in AZ

Smokenbutch

Hi I'm new to MDing and just moved to Phoenix is it ok to MD in AZ? Can someone tell me how to find out where it is legal to MD and if it's legal do I need a permit
Thanks
Larry

Yes it's "ok to MD" in Arizona. As for the rest of your question: Can you be a little more specific on what areas you want to hunt? Then we can answer better.

I'm moving to Bullhead City in December. From what I've gathered, it goes by city statutes generally as in other states. However, once you get out into the rural and desert regions, you have to be mindful of BLM properties, Reservations and prospecting claims. If you get caught on one of those properties without permits or permission from the owner, you could end up getting a fine/confiscation up to getting shot on sight. The advice given to me was to join a prospector's club where they already have the land and you're free to do whatever you wish (prospect, MD, meteorite hunting).

loxlie, you're aware that BLM does not prohibit md'ing, right ?

And as for "getting shot on private land", or indian reservations, or claims etc... Well sure, that's an issue for private property. By all means, get permission. But I took the OP to be asking about public lands.

Hi Tom I would like to MD in and around the Phoenix area. Can someone explain what BLM properties are?

Hi Tom I would like to MD in and around the Phoenix area. Can someone explain what BLM properties are?

Google Bureau of Land Management. That is one form of federal land. There's several other types too. Like NFS is also not disallowed. Army corps of engineers is not disallowed. In fact, there's express allowances on each of those . Heck, that's even better than silent-on-the-subject (which I would also take to be not-disallowed anyhow).

Oh sure, there might be other types things about so long as it's only new stuff (<50 yrs. old) that you're finding. Ok, fine then, you're only finding new stuff :roll:

Still though: Use common sense and don't be a nuisance parading around obvious historic sensitive monuments in front of bored archie. There should be foundations, stage stops, emigrant water holes, etc..... for you to find and explore though, in the country sides around you.

Yes, I am aware of that. I was referring to places on BLM that MDing is NOT allowed, such as Historical sites and being aware of them.

Yes, I am aware of that. I was referring to places on BLM that MDing is NOT allowed, such as Historical sites and being aware of them.

There is a trinomial system that identifies archaeological sites:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithsonian_trinomial

A lot of them are indian in nature (no refined metals) so you wouldn't be interested in those sites anyhow. But for the post european contact sites (ghost towns, battle sites, a handful of stage stops, historic homes of note, etc...) they are all pretty obvious. I mean, you really don't even need a list. They are self-evident. If you're on BLM land looking at a ghost town spot like Bodie, for instance, or there's a museum on site, blah blah blah, well, common sense dictates.

But if you're out in the middle of nowhere, to where some lone foundation of exists, or a water hole that emigrant campers used (that's not set up as a preserved monument blah blah), then , what are you worrying about ? I think you are over-thinking and over-worrying this.

There is a lot of Arizona State Trust land around Phoenix and elsewhere and metal detecting is STRICTLY forbidden on it.....

That's a form of public land in AZ that I've never heard of before. I just googled it, and came up with nothing with those exact words in their title. Perhaps you mean this entity ? :

https://land.az.gov/

If so, I'm searching through it and find no "strict prohibition" that you speak of. Got a link ? Or were you referring to various ancillary things they have on there about cultural heritage ?

Prospecting and mineral extraction are strictly limited by a permit system.

Removing cultural artifacts is likewise forbidden. The exact definition of what the 1930's Winchester 30-30 case you just found would no doubt be a fascinating discussion between you and the officer who has just decided to seize your metal detector and vehicle.

Not a meeting I want to have.

I cannot find a blanket ban on carrying or using a metal detector, but recovering and removing an object probably constitutes a violation of your permit (without which you are trespassing) since the permit Allows only "non-consumptive recreational activities"

"Your recreation permit allows you to enjoy non-consumptive recreational activities including: hiking, horseback riding, bicycling, picnics, photography, bird watching, sightseeing, camping (limited to 14 days per year), and limited off highway vehicle use (restricted to designated roads and trails), for non-commercial and non-competitive purposes.

https://land.az.gov/faq/recreational-permit-faq

...Removing cultural artifacts is likewise forbidden. ....

Lytle, glad you acknowledge that md'ing isn't specifically forbidden at BLM. As for "cultural artifacts" ("seizure of detector and vehicle"), here's a challenge for you: Go into ANY public location's administrative offices. Pick a place that's routinely detected (beaches with no problems, city parks you know that have no issues, etc....). Ask the attendant on duty the following question:

"Hi. Can I please remove government owned cultural artifacts from XXX park/beach, for my own personal gain to sell on ebay?
" Then sit back and listen to their answer.

And curious if you can cite an example of anyone ever, in AZ on BLM land, that's had their "detector and vehicle confiscated for detecting and (gasp) having found a 51+ yr. old coin".

Please don't take this as a "throw-caution to the wind and md during archie conventions at obvious historic sensitive monuments" type notion. But if someone's out in the middle of the desert, then ..... seriously now dude .....

Tom,

I said nothing about Federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land.

My posts were regarding State of Arizona State Trust land administered by the Arizona Land Department.

Tom,

I said nothing about Federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land....

Sorry, the subjects got muddled. BLM had been alluded to, and the AZ state trust land. And yes, reading back through the thread, I see your specific statement had been directed at the AZ state owned type, not the BLM type.

Ok then, my question in #13 remains for you then.

I see you posted a link. And the best I can come up with, is your link in #15. And there is nothing there that specifically says "no md'ing". Perhaps you're referring to this quote from there ? :

"A Trust Land Recreation Permit does not permit target shooting, paintball, airsoft, recreational flying (i.e. ultralite aircraft), vehicular 'rock hopping', sand railing, fireworks, or congregating in groups larger than 19 people . Visiting prehistoric and historic cultural or archaeological sites, Collecting or removing natural products (rocks, stone, soil, fossils, mineral specimens, cacti, saguaro or cholla skeletons, plants (live or dead), or firewood for home use, are all prohibited. Nor does it permit any activity that would otherwise be illegal or conflict with local laws or ordinances. A Recreation Permit does not authorize use of non-state lands such as military, federal, Tribal, or private lands."

If so, then addressed in the next post:

Lytle78, if the quote from your link above, is what you are referring to, then notice that it doesn't disallow the collecting/taking of an artifact (like a coin, button, etc...) It has a long list of natural things (firewood, cactus, rocks, etc....), but I don't see cultural or historic objects listed in that prohibition. Notice it's only the VISITING of "historic cultural or archaeological sites" that's forbidden. Ok then, if stay off sites that are listed in the trinomial system of designed historic sites, then presto, haven't you complied ? Not all land within the entire state's land is a "historic cultural site", lest you couldn't even step on the land to begin with ! (given a technical reading).

But let's cut to the chase: Let's assume that it WAS more comprehensive, and actually forbade the taking of historic artifacts, border to border (and not just at designated archaeological sites): I don't deny that such boiler plate verbage could indeed be morphed to dis-allow you or I from picking up the 1959 memorial. Here's what would need to happen:

a) You find a purist archie on the AZ state payroll.

b) you show him this citation.

c) you ask him "how is historic" and "artifact" defined?

d) he would tell you "50 yrs. old or older"

e) You then say: What if I looked down and saw a 1959 memorial, can I pick it up ?

f) He would say "no". And then he would go back to his offices in the state capitol of Phoenx, and you'd never run into such a person again. (unless you were parading yourself around obvious sensitive monument during an archie convention).

Back
Top Bottom