New field pays off

drewwski

My propointer came in the mail today so I had to get out and give it a test run. The area I was hunting is a new field myself and a friend hunted this weekend. We had hunted kind of haphazardly this past weekend, so I decided today I would be a little more meticulous and start completely covering some areas.

On about my fourth signal that I hit, only reading from two sides and about 6 inches down. Normally I would be iffy about digging it, it was reading near the 5 cent range(I think). Glad I dug, and the new Pro Pinpointer came in handy. This is the smallest coin I have ever found, silver and I have no clue right now what it is. The dude on the front has a huge nose though. This spot is great, found a 1750's coin here this weekend, buttons, and some bronze relics. I am going to post it in the Help ID my finds also.

As you can see, next to the penny the coin is tiny but has quite a bit of detail on it.

Attachments

• OldSilver 017.jpg
    OldSilver 017.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,192
  • OldSilver 015.jpg
    OldSilver 015.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,169
  • OldSilver 007.jpg
    OldSilver 007.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,266
  • OldSilver 011.jpg
    OldSilver 011.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,172
  • OldSilver 018.jpg
    OldSilver 018.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,164
The cross at the middle reminds me of the silver coins
they find in the UK !
Awesome find .....!

More info

From what I gather, this coin was from the first coinage, three in total. It is rare due to the fact that most of them had been "cut, to make change" and returned to the mints to be melted for the later coinages. There were 16 different mints, and the coins from the first coinage all look a bit different depending on the mint.

I know there are some British searches on here that could correct me and add more info. This coin goes from between 3-5 hundred dollars from what I have found.

Back
Top Bottom