Bounty Hunter Tracker 4

stanandtrina

Hello and greetings from Texas. I just purchased my first metal detector. I purchased a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4. I would like feedback on the particular metal detector. I read several bad things about it but I also read a lot more good reviews.
Thank you, Stanandtrina

Hey STAN, I'm somewhat new here myself and I would consider myself a beginner that just purchased a Garrett Ace 400.

I just met up with two members in here and they started teaching me the basics. Today was my 1st hunt wit them and I only found 3 bottle caps, where they did far much better.

But what I found and can say is, it is not so much the quality or brand of detector you buy, although that helps your game, it's about learning how your detector reacts to metals and to be patient, and learn from you failures.

Also, it not all about the detector, it's where you hunt. Do some research and fine good spots. (Hopefully someone else can help here)

Stick with what you have, it will fine! Don't give up!

And once your hooked, you can upgrade.

As a beginner this is all I can offer. Don't worry, just get there and hunt and learn what you got.

Good my newbee friend, from CT.

I appreciate the feedback and advice. I have started reading both online and a book about metal detecting and I know there will be failures as well as good finds.
Take care my newbie friend and happy hunting.

New here as well. I can't give any feedback on that detector but what I can say is that you have to learn it. I've hunted about 4 times now and had some pretty good finds but I've dug way more trash than keepers. And that is part of learning your machine. Today I was 90% correct on calling pull tabs and bottle caps before I even dug. I still dug em to help clear the ground and possibly get a bigger coil out there one day and find some deeper stuff. But digging everything can get old and it has for me. So when I start getting frustrated I start ignoring iffy/jumpy signals and only dig solid hits and mostly in coin ranges. Which the old style pull tabs fall right there with the nickels on my machine so I still dig em. So in all just learn your machine and follow airheads advice on doing some homework and finding good hunting spots. Check out the metal detecting code of ethics and be sure to fill your holes!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a metal detector...it can and does find metal.
It isn't the one with the most whistles and bells out there but it is and has always been highly recommend to anyone that wants to get into the hobby cheap and still start with a capable unit.
Many started out using the same one here, learned the basics and had a good time doing it, too.
When they moved on and upgraded a lot kept it around and still go back to using it from time to time to this day because they learned it so well.

Use it, enjoy it, learn with it and you will find stuff.
If you like the hobby one day you will upgrade to one with more features but for now you are good.

Last edited:
I have a Tracker IV that I've used for five years, now. I love it and wouldn't get rid of it for anything. I may upgrade in the future, but will always keep it around.

Hello and greetings from Texas. I just purchased my first metal detector. I purchased a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4. I would like feedback on the particular metal detector. I read several bad things about it but I also read a lot more good reviews.
Thank you, Stanandtrina

Years ago when I first started I had a Micronta from Radioshack.
This was 1981 or so, and I was an army brat living in Germany.
Found tons of stuff from WW2.

Fast forward to 2013.
I bought a BH Tracker 4 for 100 bucks including shipping to me here in South Korea. :laughing:

I was fighting an uphill battle since at the time I didn't know about the saltwater/wet sand issues with single frequency detectors.
But that tracker 4 did it's job and found well over 1,500.00 worth of jewelry.
It finally died from dropping it a few too many times. :(
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=1728393#post1728393

It works well for the price on dry land but the depth isn't great.
It doesn't do too bad in the wet sand either if that's what you have at the moment!
Great starter machine then when you upgrade keep it for back up!

The Tracker IV is a good solid machine. It may not have all of the features or maximum depth but it will find the goods. A while back I introduced a friend to metal derecting and he wanted a machine but was not working at the time due to a work related injury. I bought a T4 for him as a Christmas gift using a coupon at Hobby Lobby . He has found some amazing stuff with it and although he later got a mid range Tesoro he still pulls out the T4 and finds good stuff. Learn your T4 and you will be amazed by what it will find.

I have that book " Metal Detecting", if really explains the all the basics for a beginner, I like it a lot.

Oh and always come home (In Here) :coffeetable: for questions and we love stories and finds.

This is good to know as I think that will be my starter md can't wait to get started...so I am done with the snow and cold come on spring momma is itching to find some junk and goodies...merry Christmas everyone

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard!

I have a Bounty Hunter Prospector which is basically the same other than a slightly smaller coil. I used it for about a year before buying a Tesoro Compadré (have two compadres and the Prospector).

I found $135 in clad coins, 2 silver coins, one gold ring and some wheat cents etc with my Bounty Hunter.

I don't think it's the deepest machine out there and that's why I bought a Compadre for $158. I don't worry about depth anymore, weather warranted or not.

Bounty Hunter served me well and my daughter (8) uses it sometimes if she's not using my Compadre.

Oh, one cool thing I kinda miss, the Bounty Hunter has two tones, which was pretty cool! Different tone for gold/tabs/nickel v. Silver. That is kinda nice.

Happy hunting!

Welcome and Merry Christmas from South Carolina !!!!! :present: :snowman3:

The Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is an excellent value for the low price you pay for it. Sure, models costing 5 times as much or more will have more features and ability, but that doesn't take away from the Tracker IV being a great model for the price it costs.

It's not perfect, but if you search the forum for past posts on the Tracker IV you'll see many positive comments from those who were pleased with how well it did for being a low cost model.

I still have a BH4 as a backup and the Wife still only uses hers, even though I've offered to upgrade.

Strong machine, underrated IMHO. Always hunt in tone mode. Dig all of those strong high tones and all of the strong mid to low tones and you can't go wrong. Anything 'scratchy' sounding is prob 75% trash. You'll understand the sounds with practice. It'll reach 5-6" where I'm at, no problems...good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom