Another.....DIY from coin_pirate, yep me, Rock (coin) tumbler

coin pirate

Forum Supporter
Another DIY Printer used Rock (coin) Tumbler, let me start by saying it's only 90% complete, still determining what I want to use for the barrel.

I had a canon printer laying around, less than a year old, ran out of ink, refilled it my self with bulk ink a few times, developed a bug in the printing menu, and wifey dearest went out a bought me an awesome new Brothers printer, so this one was the donor. Besides, nobody wanted to give me $10 for it, so it was scrap. everything used in this video for the construction is so far, completely recycled parts I had laying around, total cost so far...$0

Tore apart the printer, several motors inside I saved, but was after the one in the bottom, paper feed and it's idler bar, my idler bar is pretty flimsy plastic and may not hold up to any weight, so I'll probably end up using a dowel in it's place when all is done.

picture.php

that's what I'm after, in the bottom

picture.php

here it is removed, saved the motor bracket for re-use

picture.php

next, wired it up to a usb cable with a 110 usb charger port.
the usb when stripped has 4 wires, use the black and red, cut the other two and the ground flashing off. Tape up to protect connections.
Tested, and guess what, smooth as butter baby!!!!!

picture.php

picture.php

My usb cable is 8' long, it was my old printer usb cable, I had a long one so the printer didn't have to be right on top of me, but my baby bought me a wireless one now:D

picture.php

ok, had an old drawer face laying around (remodeling the kitchen presently) along with some cabinet brackets and used screws.

picture.php

Haven't mounted the idler yet, waiting to determine my barrel first, and may change it anyway to something a little stronger.

picture.php

But I'm almost done with my clad tumbler. I'll post a follow up when completed. Did this in a few hours while goofing off on the computer and drinking coffee this morning.

Do you have an Empty round coffee or creamer container?
Possibly some other large round container, or a lawn mower tire :laughing::laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::mad: funny guy....

couldn't find a suitable container currently around the house, have see if I need anything at the dollar store:lol:

need a thin piece of rubber to line whatever container to maximize the tumbling effect, otherwise might just be sliding around inside.
Want to find a light container about the size of a quart jar but plastic with a good seal lid. If I buy something from the dollar store, and use whatever I buy, it will still be a zero dollar item as the container would have been trash.:D

want to see if I can make this for almost nothing out of pocket

:laughing::laughing::laughing::mad: funny guy....

couldn't find a suitable container currently around the house, have see if I need anything at the dollar store:lol:

need a thin piece of rubber to line whatever container to maximize the tumbling effect, otherwise might just be sliding around inside.
Want to find a light container about the size of a quart jar but plastic with a good seal lid. If I buy something from the dollar store, and use whatever I buy, it will still be a zero dollar item as the container would have been trash.:D

want to see if I can make this for almost nothing out of pocket

I found that once the rubber inside the container gets wet, the stuff just slides around anyway. A piece of aluminum or stainless flat bar epoxied on the side of the barrel works great as a wiper.

I'm still waiting for one of you Poindexters to design a clad tumbler that works in the trunk of a car. That way, a guy can dump finds and tumble as he drives along and cash it in at the Coinstar on the way home! Dont you dare say just use some plastic coffee cans and pop off the wheel weights! :laughing:
Mud

I'm still waiting for one of you Poindexters to design a clad tumbler that works in the trunk of a car. That way, a guy can dump finds and tumble as he drives along and cash it in at the Coinstar on the way home! Dont you dare say just use some plastic coffee cans and pop off the wheel weights! :laughing:
Mud

your close, you make a permanent stud in the bottom of your container, using rubber washers so water tight, weld a lug nut to the stud, and voila, remove one lug nut and twist it on......:laughing:

Mud

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2598162&postcount=56

I had you taken care of a couple months ago Mud! For a small fee, I could do a fine installation for you on old Rosie...:D

Found a container, just finished up the peanut butter today and...BING, light came on, (voice inside my head) "hey dummy, don't you need a tumbler container?....Duh!"

Added rubber bands for better traction
picture.php

added a swiper(Thanks Oldsjunkie), securing with Gorilla glue

picture.php

picture.php

Still all scrap/recycle, items around the house...Total cost $0 still

When dry, and I figure what I'm going to use for media(I see plenty of topics on this) I'll post a video in operation(if I figure out how to do that)

p.s.

How fast does a tumbler need to go?

By the way, this is not my idea, I just emulated what oldsjunkie did to show anyone on the fence considering this DIY, just how easy it is.
Can be done in a couple hours or less if you gather your supplies ahead of time.

Olds used a computer power supply, I used a cell phone charger usb to 110v phone charger adapter, but I can also plug it into my computer usb port without any additional power supply needed, one less item you'll have to acquire.

EDIT

Tumbler speed was too slow as suspected, oldsjunkie to the rescue stated, power supply may be inadequate, as the printer uses 12v, and the phone charger approx 5v along with the usb port using approx 5v, he was right(just come over and build it for me already:laughing:)
Now, you can use a computer power supply as he suggested, or, if your familiar with computers enough, meaning desktop models, and you happen to have one like most us ole timers who refuse to use our phone or tablet, you can access one of the unused 12v supply leads inside your desktop computer, or, use a 12v adapter like the one I had laying around from an old air mattress pump I saved when I ditched the leaky air mattress.

Also as thought, my idler is too weak to support any weight, so now I'm on the hunt for a substitute.

EDIT

Tumbler speed was too slow as suspected, oldsjunkie to the rescue stated, power supply may be inadequate, as the printer uses 12v, and the phone charger approx 5v along with the usb port using approx 5v, he was right(just come over and build it for me already:laughing:)
Now, you can use a computer power supply as he suggested, or, if your familiar with computers enough, meaning desktop models, and you happen to have one like most us ole timers who refuse to use our phone or tablet, you can access one of the unused 12v supply leads inside your desktop computer, or, use a 12v adapter like the one I had laying around from an old air mattress pump I saved when I ditched the leaky air mattress.

Also as thought, my idler is too weak to support any weight, so now I'm on the hunt for a substitute.

Sounds like you're getting it whooped CP! Besides, that drive to WV would seriously cut into my clad stabbin' time...:scooter::laughing:

Sounds like you're getting it whooped CP! Besides, that drive to WV would seriously cut into my clad stabbin' time...:scooter::laughing:

It's been so hot or the ground is so hard, I haven't dug in going on 2 weeks, 97 degrees yesterday, I saw a guy pull a cigarette from a pack already lit:shock::p

If I don't get out, it'll be one un-used clad tumbler

Y'all are WAY over thinking this! Damn Engineers always re-inventing the wheel! By the time you DIY nerds get done dikking around with old printers, treadmills, gorilla glue and peanut butter jars, you could buy a used clothes dryer off of CL for $50, Disable the heaters if you want, keep it outside under a tarp even, plug it in, shovel in some gravel and coins, THEN you'd have one hell of a coin tumbler cheap!! :laughing: You can always sell the damn thing a year from now for what you paid for it!:laughing:

Heck, go the extra mile and get the washer/dryer combo rig, hook it up to an extension cord and a garden hose, and really knock the stink off of clad in a hurry! :laughing: Or hell, even a cheap garage sale cement mixer would do the trick as well...

Or...taking this thought process one step further, strategically and mercinarily thinking...Just go buy one of those plastic cheapo cement mixers from TSC on your CC...tumble all your years clad in one day, sit out there in the yard drinking beer and cleaning clad! Maybe grill some dogs even! Have the other guys from your club come over for a big Clad Wash event and charge them $10 each! Tell them to BYOB and dogs of course... Laugh and giggle with your Buds, listening to the coins tumble, toss a few back, compare finds!

Then, simply wash out the mixer and take it back to TSC the next day for a full refund!:laughing: We gotta start thinking big here me buckos, or we will always be without a pot or a window! Think about it! Whos gonna buy some stupid old chopped up printer and some peanut butter jars from your widow someday? NOBODY! But She will for sure sell that washer/dryer combo sitting out there in the yard under the tarp to somebody!!:laughing:
Mud

Back
Top Bottom