Fisher 11"DD Coil Modification

eSCANZ

Hi Team -

I stumbled across a post a while back on a forum (not sure if it was this one) regarding a gentleman who had modded his coil by cutting the fins out of the 11"DD Coil. - I can no longer find there posts or remember who it was, so was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to the thread/pictures as I am contemplating doing the same on one of my spare coils -

Thank you for your effort in time & I would be truly appreciative -

Cheers

Hi Team -

I stumbled across a post a while back on a forum (not sure if it was this one) regarding a gentleman who had modded his coil by cutting the fins out of the 11"DD Coil. - I can no longer find there posts or remember who it was, so was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to the thread/pictures as I am contemplating doing the same on one of my spare coils -

Thank you for your effort in time & I would be truly appreciative -

Cheers

It was mudpuppy.
He is kinda crazy so emulating him will open you up to ridicule and name calling.
We did that with him but he really doesn't care...part of that being crazy thing.
Modding his coil did seem to make it pretty aerodynamic though, but I think he just likes to destroy stuff.

Post #15 in this thread.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=234467

Oooops - no ummm I am not looking at coil mod :laughing:

Thanks Digger27 - I will thoroughly check it out first, then tell no-one - lol

Appreciate your help, oh and everything F2 & F70 ;)

Oooops - no ummm I am not looking at coil mod :laughing:

Thanks Digger27 - I will thoroughly check it out first, then tell no-one - lol

Appreciate your help, oh and everything F2 & F70 ;)

Actually, it was a pretty bold idea. He has a large coil that can now be easily swung in the water with less drag and through sand too. Everyone is always trying to mod, program or run their detector the way they like it. His mod doesn't affect functionality, and was better suited for how he likes to swing.

Yeah that was me alright...I love that coil, but I didnt like how it sucked up wet mowed grass, sand, snow, frost even...Made it weigh a ton! It was very hard to push through the water while wading as well...I had to do a "herringbone" push and pull type of swing instead of the conventional side to side...

I have suffered no ill effects so far...I left those center lower fins for a while, then sawed them off too....I also cut the coil cable, and ran it up inside the shaft, got rid of the camlocks...I like it....I cannot believe the punishment this rig has taken in the past 7yrs and still works fine!...It lives out in my car year round, hunts in all weather...just amazing how hard it gets worked with ZERO trouble in all this time...I'm on my 3rd set of headphones even...I bought an entire backup rig just in case someday this one takes a dump...I cant live without a F70..
Mud
ps...I'm not a gentleman..:laughing:

Attachments

• fins.jpg
    fins.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 250
  • cable4.jpg
    cable4.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 236
  • bag coil-1.jpg
    bag coil-1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 241
  • feb 22-16-1.jpg
    feb 22-16-1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 245
  • fitbit-1.jpg
    fitbit-1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
thanks mud-puppy - yeah that is exactly what I thought when I first saw your design - we have a bit of snow here at the moment and i am wanting to do some fresh water hunting this summer (only knee deep) -

I was wondering if I cut the fins close to the coil itself that perhaps I might find a hollow core or something I don't need - lol - even dremmel them down smooth to finish - would I run into any surprises I don't need MP>?

TIA ;)

thanks mud-puppy - yeah that is exactly what I thought when I first saw your design - we have a bit of snow here at the moment and i am wanting to do some fresh water hunting this summer (only knee deep) -

I was wondering if I cut the fins close to the coil itself that perhaps I might find a hollow core or something I don't need - lol - even dremmel them down smooth to finish - would I run into any surprises I don't need MP>?

TIA ;)

That was my concern as well...so I didnt cut them off as flush as I would have liked...I used some JB Weld on the coil ears since they were getting really worn out almost to the point of breaking off...

I hunted a lot of fresh water with this thing, both before and after the coil mod without any trouble...right up to just below the brain box even....

I had this rig out again today drysanding and totlotting a little...nearly everyday this rig gets a workout...save those little pieces in case you have to use some JBWeld to glue them onto the outside of the coil ears to beef that area up a little...like little gussets...

Mud
Mud

Attachments

• fins1.jpg
    fins1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 210
Thanks again mud puppy - as they say, there is a fine line between genius & insanity - either way these days you just got to do whatever it takes to stand out lol - :laughing: - (respect man) & thank you ;)

Back
Top Bottom