Permission

coin killer

Quick question for you all when asking permission how do you go about it do you offer the land owner anything to guarantee a yes ??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nope.

I introduce myself, shake their hand and explain I am a hobbyist and do not sell anything I find. I carefully explain what I'm asking permission to do and promise I will not damage their lawn nor property and I give them a business card with all my contact information on it in the event there are any issues. I invite them to watch me to ensure I'm not harming their yard. I even offer them the use of a 250 if they want to try it themselves.

Look them in the eye, speak slowly and carefully and you'll be alright. Rehearse what you are going to say and that it makes sense.

Awesome that is good advice I have lots of old houses in my town that I would love to detect :-) and good thing I have extra metal detectors to win win lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've offered to bring an extra detector, too. Usually if it comes up in the course of conversation ("Ya know, I've always wanted to try that!") I'll offer to show them how to use it. They're not always interested in it, but it helps break the ice. After I've gotten permission, I've also brought cookies, home made apple butter, etc. to keep the permission, helped with minor chores/picked up litter, etc. If there's a property I'd to detect on, I usually try to wait till I see someone outside working, but that's just me. That's how I prefer to be approached, so that's the way I do it for others. Good luck! Curt

I NEVER offer anything unless the permission brings it up. I don't want to throw up red flags to the permission that there is "treasure" on their property. lol.
That being said , my particular addiction to this hobby is the "Thrill of the Hunt". I am not opposed to giving the permission my finds, as long as I can take pictures.

I NEVER offer anything unless the permission brings it up. I don't want to throw up red flags to the permission that there is "treasure" on their property. lol.
That being said , my particular addiction to this hobby is the "Thrill of the Hunt". I am not opposed to giving the permission my finds, as long as I can take pictures.

I agree. I like the find and research. If permission meant that they kept what I found, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It can all be saved in the camera.

Back
Top Bottom