AT Pro- looking for some advice

candyfactory

Hi all,

I've had an AT Pro since April and have been practicing in my backyard to get a better understanding of it. I live in a neighbourhood with 100 year old homes, so I figured there has to be something neat in the ground.However as of yet I've only turned up two pennies from the 1980s and I'm sure there is more than that.

I run on Pro Custom with a 32 disc, nothing notched. I get beeps in the 30's- early 40s but everytime I dig it, it's a nail (my yard must have been a hardware store years ago based on the # of nails I've pulled ;) ). Sometimes I get beeps that show up as 08 or 10.

My question is, for old pennies, dimes, nickels and quarters what is the range they typically beep at??

I dig 40s up to 53 (53 is nickel) I notch out 60to75 or so. I notch in pennies all the way up to 99 cause those can be any age coin.
Happy Hunting!

I dig 40s up to 53 (53 is nickel) I notch out 60to75 or so. I notch in pennies all the way up to 99 cause those can be any age coin.
Happy Hunting!

Could you clarify this? You notch out 60-75 but leave in 80-99? Why do you notch out 60-75?

Also, if I notch out a specific range (say 60-75), that means that anything detected in that range will not give an audio or visual sound, correct?

the occasional time that i notch anything, it's iron and up to about 30 maybe 35.
i've had small silver (5 cent) show up at 65-69, large cents in the very low to upper 70's, most lead rings up in the 60's. brass, bronze, copper.... high 60's to low to mid 70's.
i'm not saying i dig everything, but if it's a repeatable tone, i dig it. nails don't seem to fool the AT too bad, but larger pieces of iron can be all over the scale.

ironically after I posted this, I went out and was a little more choosy on my digs. notched out 60-75 and kept getting a weak 83.

found my new oldest coin, a 1945 penny!

Hunt pro zero, no disc....unless ur in an ironminefield, then crank the iron disc to 13...still gettin iron....go up to 23....then 27....I usually hunt w iron disc at 23-33....dig everything 34& up....everything... It'll get u gold... ...unless you only care bout coins...then 49-53 nickels (#depends on depth, soil, moisture, other factors like price of tea in China..) then 65-93~+(1/2 maybe) ...also dependant upon those external variables... ...I used to just cherry pick the sweet highs, now I've been geared to digging the magnificent mids.....digger27's threads are good as gold, and have helped me find 2 gold bands the past few days....well, week now...

...make a test garden, not just of coins...but of jewelry, coins, nails and coins (to understand masking), put a nail an inch under q coin....an inch on top a coin....an inch to the side level w coin....make every scenario you may encounter... It helps IMMENSELY.... Watch the Garrett at pro videos.... I watched them again, learned 3 new things while watching their atpro international vids...Idk if they added the xtra info on the 'merica version vids, but, regardless...those vids, and that manual...in conjunction w EVERY thread that comes up when searching "at pro" should be your bible...it is mine....and for what its worth, for being a boobie-noobie, I've made some decent finds... I didn't find 3 rings and a bag of silver coins and an amethyst cross on my first day....or 300+ gold targets in 3 hours....but, I've found enough clad/gold(just 2rings since Feb...both this week)/couple silver rosies/other misc curiosities to keep me hooked... ...hope this helped, you've come to the right place in your quest for knowledge... ..my only other suggestion...find a local club, so long as its a pretty laid back group... I did, and am really glad I did.... People that have been doing this awhile are a wealth of information....and not all of them share all of it, some don't use the interwebs... My club is new, third meeting is tmrw, and they are all great ppl, quick to teach a truly curious mind that is in the hobby for what it is....a good pastime...and not to get rich quick... Cuz, if that's your goal...you may be greatly disappointed quickly

Best of luck to you in your new addiction

Happy hunting ....and don't be shy if more questions come to light

-beav3r

Sorry, ment to edit the first one not quote myself...derrrrrrrp
Edit:super long winded, sorry...fixed typos

-beav3r

If in doubt turn 90deg and swing, if you're getting a good solid tone and minimal bouncing depth in both directions it should be a good target..

If in doubt turn 90deg and swing, if you're getting a good solid tone and minimal bouncing depth in both directions it should be a good target..

Yep that works great, once in a great while you'll only get a coin in one direction but thats about 1 out of 98, the rest of the time its iron or trash...:yes:

Back
Top Bottom