• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ring Values

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Question for all you water hunters. Besides scrap value and possible value to others that might want to wear something you find, do you look for value in makers marks?

Curious because I am scrapping some of my gold rings. I was looking at the K marks and saw BELAIS 18K in one.

I googled it for fun and came across this page:

http://www.maejeanvintage.com/blog/2014/10/31/belais

My ring is exactly like the one pictured halfway down the page.

In reading that page, they talked about a ring marked OB. Well that is Ostby and Barton. Ostby went down with the Titanic in 1912. I have one of their rings also.

I have sold hundreds of rings. This is the first time I have looked at the makers marks. All 4 of the dainty 18K white gold rings I found last summer have makers marks. Only one is inscribed with a wedding date and it is 1931.

I could only imagine that if they're well known maker's marks they would be worth more than the scrap value either on Ebay, auction, or some other form of sales outlet.

Nothing of historical value (in the water) around here. High grade rings are "nice" to find but smeltors dont care. 9g of 14k is worth 9g of 14k to them/me irregardless of the makers mark.

I have sold hundreds of rings. This is the first time I have looked at the makers marks. All 4 of the dainty 18K white gold rings I found last summer have makers marks. Only one is inscribed with a wedding date and it is 1931.

Showoff! :laughing: Till this point, the only makers mark I've cared about is T&Co. :yes: But yeah, you are right.

Showoff! :laughing: Till this point, the only makers mark I've cared about is T&Co. :yes: But yeah, you are right.

LOL Only T&C rings I have snagged are silver. One of my friends got a platinum T&C.

Actually I do have an advantage because I find a lot of vintage rings. I have 7 vintage class rings on Fee-Bay that I found last summer. 1926 - 1949.

I am going to TRY and sell the vintage 18K rings on fee-bay and see if I get a nibble.

Some say artcarved and Frederik Goldman can bring a bit more than melt. But usually when I try to sell stuff they want to pay below melt. I wait a couple weeks when the gold goes up and usually get more than I was asking anyways for melt.:lol:

I dont know dude..FWIW, I sold a tungsten for $60 last Summer...I dont think people nowadays have any idea about PMs or Pedigree or Hallmarks...

I'm sitting on an 18k Jabel 12.3 grammer right now..vintage and forged!..just too nice to melt, but nobody gives a damn to pay a bit up for its pedigree? Here on out, the fast cash money is in good looking Tungstens/Stainless/Carbides...easy $40 bucks each all day long...

Never seen anyone post this before:

Search ebay for gold ring mounts. Found a nice white gold ring with 6 prongs minus the stones and got 4X melt for it. buff em up if necessary or take to a jeweler for quick (cheap) repair if needed...easy peazy $$$$$

Now don't flooding ebay with all yours. LOL

I dont know dude..FWIW, I sold a tungsten for $60 last Summer...I dont think people nowadays have any idea about PMs or Pedigree or Hallmarks...

I'm sitting on an 18k Jabel 12.3 grammer right now..vintage and forged!..just too nice to melt, but nobody gives a damn to pay a bit up for its pedigree? Here on out, the fast cash money is in good looking Tungstens/Stainless/Carbides...easy $40 bucks each all day long...

You can buy Tungsten rings for $8 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_asi...keywords=tungsten+ring&ie=UTF8&qid=1486740117) lol, you must've found that one sucker that had no clue.

I use my tungsten rings as fishing weights :fishin:

Scuba I've sold a few rings and I always research any Makers mark. Most Of what I find goes to the safe deposit box. Anything questionable keep. It didn't cost you anything but effort unless you scrap a $1,000 collectable ring for $30.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about how to dispose of all my gold rings .
:lol: Good info on makers marks ! HH

I keep/wear the best rings I find because 9 times out of 10 you don't get carp for selling them. Heck if jewelry was valuable jewelry stores would be tripping over themselves to give you 1/2 of retail. But they don't even want it.
They have their own boxes full of diamonds to get rid of. :laughing:

rs4.jpg

I keep/wear the best rings I find because 9 times out of 10 you don't get carp for selling them.. :laughing:

I'll ship you 10 of these fine carp for your ring!

Attachments

• LongIsland-Carp.jpg
    LongIsland-Carp.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 130
My girlfriend has 402 facebook friends, mostly women. So I have had very good results selling rings by having her post pictures of my finds on her facebook page. One nice ring gets a snowball effect with each "like or comment" that, more often than not, has resulted in a profitable sale. :cool:
DL

Back
Top Bottom