Old railroad lines?

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Been looking at listings of "ghost towns" near me. Many of these towns were established with a post office, a store or two and a pharmacy around the 1850's time era (100 people). Then once railroad lines were laid, the few stores in the town moved to get beside the tracks. So the "established" town died other than a few markers that were left, like a cemetery or bridge. Sometime 20-50 years later, most of these towns were absorbed into a larger city.

Going to start doing some dated research to see if I can locate where some old structures stood, but have any of you had luck around railroad lines? Makes sense that the stores would move so they could be easily accessable to more people.

Last edited:
Timely topic!

Just last week I located a train stop on a historical map from the 1930s. The map shows a train station where currently lies an overgrown lot that is private. I was able to search along the rail line but had no luck, mostly current trash and the area was small. I did not attempt to contact the owner of the private property as it's overgrown and not detectable.

Your idea is fantastic and worthy of effort. It just didn't work for me, this time.

HOS

I'm sure the foot traffic areas would be worthwhile. For many riding the train wasn't an everyday event and those who did ride were dresses in their Sunday best. I could only imagine the ladies had their fancy jewelry and the men their "Sunday-Going-To-Meetn'" watches, and brought enough money for a multiple day trip.

I would think the best area would be after they left the depot and boarded the coaches and wagons. A small area but probably the hot one. I would think the former tacks themselves would not only be pretty uneventful, but disappointing as you dig up deep RR spikes.....and let me tell you sometimes they sound good!

Keep in mind that "RR station" is not necessarily what we think of today, when we think of RR station. Back then it could merely have been a siding for a water tower or supply depot . Ie.: in the course of building the RR's, they'd have a siding or "stop" (aka "station") every 5 or 10 miles. So that they'd have a new respository for supplies to get ready to go the next 5 or 10 miles. But it wasn't a "station" in the sense we think of today (with passengers getting on and off).

And even if it survived to become an actual platform, bear in mind that it could have been strictly commercial in purpose (grain and freight). So again, not in the sense of "station" that we think of today.

And even "post office" is not what we think of today (as a place where patrons come and go) . Back then a "post office" could be granted to nothing else but someone's front porch where they agreed to take mail for themselves and a handful on neighbor's spread out over several square miles. Or a mail "drop" where it was dumped off at a platform where someone had agreed to pick it up to disperse to neighbors spread out.

And even the word "town" or "village" is also deceiving, the way it often got used in the 1850s/60s: A collection of neighbors spread over a few square miles (even though way far apart from each other) could be called a "town". NOT the image of the way we think of town as a collection of cross-laid streets, etc...

So unless you found something alluding to an actual clustered set of buildings which included a store (as you say), hotel, saloon, etc.... then .... may not be worthwhile. But if you can isolate a cluster of buildings serving several commercial/retail purposes, then sure: hit it :)

Keep in mind that "RR station" is not necessarily what we think of today, when we think of RR station. Back then it could merely have been a siding for a water tower or supply depot . Ie.: in the course of building the RR's, they'd have a siding or "stop" (aka "station") every 5 or 10 miles. So that they'd have a new respository for supplies to get ready to go the next 5 or 10 miles. But it wasn't a "station" in the sense we think of today (with passengers getting on and off).

And even if it survived to become an actual platform, bear in mind that it could have been strictly commercial in purpose (grain and freight). So again, not in the sense of "station" that we think of today.

And even "post office" is not what we think of today (as a place where patrons come and go) . Back then a "post office" could be granted to nothing else but someone's front porch where they agreed to take mail for themselves and a handful on neighbor's spread out over several square miles. Or a mail "drop" where it was dumped off at a platform where someone had agreed to pick it up to disperse to neighbors spread out.

And even the word "town" or "village" is also deceiving, the way it often got used in the 1850s/60s: A collection of neighbors spread over a few square miles (even though way far apart from each other) could be called a "town". NOT the image of the way we think of town as a collection of cross-laid streets, etc...

So unless you found something alluding to an actual clustered set of buildings which included a store (as you say), hotel, saloon, etc.... then .... may not be worthwhile. But if you can isolate a cluster of buildings serving several commercial/retail purposes, then sure: hit it :)

That is kinda what it sounded like with the stores relocating closer to toward the tracks. If I can find any old maps showing structures, I think that would be the place to hit. Many had water towers to cool the trains so that would be a definite stop and like you mentioned, if there was an old platform there it could be worthwhile. Something like a depot where people were moving on and off a platform with old retail very nearby.

Basically what I'm thiinking is if there was a cluster of old structures just off the tracks (within 50 yards) then there could be something there. Since many of these small towns established and then moved several years later toward the new laid tracks, the stores either moved closer for easier delivery of goods or customer commerce by being more accessible.

I'm sure the foot traffic areas would be worthwhile. For many riding the train wasn't an everyday event and those who did ride were dresses in their Sunday best. I could only imagine the ladies had their fancy jewelry and the men their "Sunday-Going-To-Meetn'" watches, and brought enough money for a multiple day trip.

I would think the best area would be after they left the depot and boarded the coaches and wagons. A small area but probably the hot one. I would think the former tacks themselves would not only be pretty uneventful, but disappointing as you dig up deep RR spikes.....and let me tell you sometimes they sound good!

I wouldn't be hunting anywhere direct on the tracks, maybe start 20 yards away and toward the old store structures or a common place like you mentioned for coaches and such. Sounds as though some of there areas had horse ties and a water tower for the train as well as a few (2-3) different stores.

I'm also interested in this. I have numerous old railroad beds near me. I have hunted a few of them, but just don't really have a strategy for it. Focusing on where buildings were makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom