Permission Failed to Lunch/Launch & Park Employee

HiOldSilver

Ladies and gets

Last week I met a very nice elder gentleman and after a pleasant conversation I asked if he lived anywhere near my area. The gentleman said he farms several hundred acres about 20 mins from my house. As I am familiar with his area quite well, I hunt several farms near him, we naturally spoke about acquaintances we have in common. This man's 30 years my senior, approximately, but the farmers allowing me hunting space are his age, and he knows them quite well.

The conversation gravitated toward older properties and I sprung the question. This gentleman said he has no issue but will give right of refusal to his bride. I agreed and asked if she likes apple pie. The man smiled and replied, "yes". I said I'd be stopping by in the near future with a pie and will be ready for some conversation with him and his bride. I parted the conversation with a smile on my face because I just friended a gentleman and possible new friend.

This morning, off from work, I had several hours to play. Straight to the local bake shop for an apple pie :) Twenty minutes later I was ready to launch a friendship, new MD site, and possibly get one slice of apple pie. I pull into the farm's driveway, and guess what? Nobody home! Feeling deflated, not for long (I had pie) I drove off to my local park to salvage my "planned" morning. I thought I might have a sit-down and possibly swing at the farm.

I arrive at my local park feeling good, it's a beautiful day here! The farm will wait. I kick-start the v3i and I'm off to an area that's filled with millions of signals and has been pounded for decades. I have found two Mercs and a Rosie here so it's not all too bad. I'm hunting for 45 minutes or so and here comes a Gator, 6 wheeler, with a mid aged park employee. Mind you, this is my local park where I've hunted in the nude without a peep from the masses. Just kidding about the nude, that would scare most! He pulls-up to me and we greet. He asks if I located anything good and I asked if he had a waste basket. Lol. We laughed that off together. I emptied my trash pouch and shared my clad digs. A brief conversation about MDing and my finds. I shared the silver finds and pointed where they were from. "God bless you,sir" I said to him as we ended our chat. Yes, that's right, a park employee who could care less that I was MDing the park. Two years ago two other employees stopped by me and had a good chat. They ended the conversation with telling me I can MD as long as I fill my holes. I responded with informing them I have hunted here for quite some time and they have yet to see evidence I was ever here. They responded with a,"you're good!" We laughed together. Granted I feel it's my right to use the public facility, it's all in the way you approach things. Attitudes get attitudes. There's no need for that bunk. Happy Hunting!

HOS

Last edited:
Good story Hos.

I can think of one city, where the "no one cares" attitude prevails amongst any park worker who might happen to be passing you by. So long as you're not being a total nuisance. Yet one day, a newbie went to the city hall, must've talked to some top dog pencil pusher, and got "no". Not sure how he phrased his permission question, or whose desk he landed at for his "pressing question". But you can imagine the surprise of the rest of us, since ........ just as in your story .... it had never been an issue before with anyone else :?:

Good one HOS! Yeah, you must come come across as a 'good guy' I think...those first few seconds of being evaluated by a stranger dictates what will follow and how to proceed...You are a natural at this, some people get all defensive right off the bat and ready to assert their rights as if its a legal matter when its actually a personal relationship kind of thing...theres a place for being assertive, but starting off friendly seems to be better..

Our Brother Beephead is astoundingly good at gaining permissions, as well as asserting his rights if need be, bold as brass...he always brings a gift...its opened up some great areas for him..Nice job there!
Mud

Nice story. I think the "attitudes get attitudes" part sums it up pretty nicely. Hope the new permission works out for you.

Nice story. I think the "attitudes get attitudes" part sums it up pretty nicely. ....

Correct. 99% of all this "allowed" versus "disallowed" is probably mostly NEVER about actual rules that truly and specifically disallow md'ing. Instead, it's mostly about how you look, act, their mood, etc.... Hence far from being "cut and dried", it's mostly whimsical.

Yet the minute someone gets a "no" (because perhaps they lack "coolness factor" or were sticking out like a sore thumb attracting attention), they treat it as law. In their mind's eyes, "such & such park(s) is against the law to md in". (hey, hard to argue with a duly appointed officials princely say-so, right?). When in actual reality, it's often just flukes. Or "safe answers". Or someone in a bad mood. Or the person asking permission went about it wrong, etc..... Not actual "law".

Rreahard, thank you, I am so looking forward to the farm. And the owner is truly a nice man. It's the thrill of the hunt that motivates me, i will offer any family heirlooms back to his family.

Mud, very kind of you to say, thank you. I'm just an average man that treats others with respect and how I'd like to be treated. Yes, you will catch more bees with honey. It's all in how we interact with others, and yes, there's a time to stand your ground too but one must know exactly when.

Tom, we are of the same mindset regarding "asking for permission" and closing our own doors on ourselves. I'm leaving it at that. i said enough on the other thread and hope it didn't put me in an unfavorable light. I was simply trying to instill confidence in others for our harmless and ethical hobby

Back
Top Bottom