Public Property Permission?

When you're standing there talking to the law dogs, go ahead and tell them, but TOM said it's legal......

The inherent premise of this, is that a person is A) doing something wrong or against the law, and B) you'll have law people there getting ready to bust you.

If both those premises are true, then yes: Everything I'm saying is poor advice. But I question the 2 premises. Ie.: Since when ? Why are those 2 things a "given" ? I detect all the time at a variety of parks I come to, and don't have these seemingly "imminent to get accosted episodes".

Last edited:
So yeah, in the future, I will advise all Noobs to go down to City Hall and ask for permission to hunt a public park...Just makes it easier on everyone! :laughing:
Mud

LOL! Don't do it, don't give in to paranoiad hysteria!

Local park + no sign = MD

In reality, I don't care what people do, I know what I will do. I will exercise my God-given rights as a free man. World's going a bit crazy with politically correct this and that. This seeking of permission to jog down the sidewalk or climbing a tree in my own yard will be the downfall of America.

Funny thing is, we try to MD anywhere except public places. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I have time to work a permission propery. Looking forward to it.

HOS

So yeah, in the future, I will advise all Noobs to go down to City Hall and ask for permission to hunt a public park...Just makes it easier on everyone! :laughing:
Mud

LOL! Don't do it, don't give in to paranoiad hysteria!

Local park + no sign = MD

In reality, I don't care what people do, I know what I will do. I will exercise my God-given rights as a free man. World's going a bit crazy with politically correct this and that. This seeking of permission to jog down the sidewalk or climbing a tree in my own yard will be the downfall of America.

Funny thing is, we try to MD anywhere except public places. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I have time to work a permission propery. Looking forward to it.

HOS

OhioChris or I never said anything about asking for permission. I've reread a his thread and thought I explained myself and OhioChris tried several times.

In a nutshell, 2 sentences;

1: just because it's public doesn't mean it's ok.

2: checking before you go may be wise(this can be done online)

Yes many of the public municipal parks are ok. But saying only 1% of public land is off limits, has apparently never swung in WI or messed with WI DNR.

The inherent premise of this, is that a person is A) doing something wrong or against the law, and B) you'll have law people there getting ready to bust you.

If both those premises are true, then yes: Everything I'm saying is poor advice. But I question the 2 premises. Ie.: Since when ? Why are those 2 things a "given" ? I detect all the time at a variety of parks I come to, and don't have these seemingly "imminent to get accosted episodes".

So you are over here Tom, So have you or haven't you used an Atpro?

So you are over here Tom, So have you or haven't you used an Atpro?

I have not. Are you referring to the notion that they can tell aluminum apart from gold ? If so, is a pre-requisite for someone's ability to challenge that = whether or not they've tried it for themselves ? Otherwise, they have no reason or room to doubt/challenge ?

If so, are you willing to try my alchemy challenge that I have a machine that turns iron into gold ? It can not be doubted or challenged by any skeptic "unless they've bought one for themselves and tried it", right ?

I've detected for 40 yrs. , and there's no machine that can tell aluminum apart from alloyed gold, on a size-per-size basis. Ring enhancement programs ? SURE (which is actually all you're really doing). But telling aluminum apart from gold ? no.

Strange thing...This morning, the Big Lake was too rough, so I went and hit a little public park I've hunted very much bigly over the years...Pulled a lot of stinky clad and whatnot, close to the house, nice little peaceful place....

Two young park workers approached and said: "Sir, Detecting isnt allowed here" I said, "Since When?" So they told me about a young couple that they caught out digging up the BB fields sprinkler heads this Summer, said they had a big shovel and even the owners manual of the detector they were reading along the way! Tore the hell out of the place! "Bleeping Noobs!" I roared!...I showed them my screwdriver and started in on my big brass schpiel..."I've been hunting this place for years!" etc...

I figured I could get through this conversation to the positive, and once I got them laughing with my antics, I knew I had it made......I can hunt this place anytime I want and promised to keep an eye out for anybody fooling around stupidly...This is the second time THIS year, the same scenario has happened to me at a different public park...Both times I talked my way into being able to hunt...all on account of pushing, talking bold, and of course just carrying that little screwdriver helps as a visual...

So Its no biggy if somebody in 'authority' tells you to stop...you can talk your way on through it generally...I usually go with forceful Humor...asking first is never a good idea, just deal with it if it comes along on a face to face basis....
Mud

I have not. Are you referring to the notion that they can tell aluminum apart from gold ? If so, is a pre-requisite for someone's ability to challenge that = whether or not they've tried it for themselves ? Otherwise, they have no reason or room to doubt/challenge ?

If so, are you willing to try my alchemy challenge that I have a machine that turns iron into gold ? It can not be doubted or challenged by any skeptic "unless they've bought one for themselves and tried it", right ?

I've detected for 40 yrs. , and there's no machine that can tell aluminum apart from alloyed gold, on a size-per-size basis. Ring enhancement programs ? SURE (which is actually all you're really doing). But telling aluminum apart from gold ? no.

I agree.

Strange thing...This morning, the Big Lake was too rough, so I went and hit a little public park I've hunted very much bigly over the years...Pulled a lot of stinky clad and whatnot, close to the house, nice little peaceful place....

Two young park workers approached and said: "Sir, Detecting isnt allowed here" I said, "Since When?" So they told me about a young couple that they caught out digging up the BB fields sprinkler heads this Summer, said they had a big shovel and even the owners manual of the detector they were reading along the way! Tore the hell out of the place! "Bleeping Noobs!" I roared!...I showed them my screwdriver and started in on my big brass schpiel..."I've been hunting this place for years!" etc...

I figured I could get through this conversation to the positive, and once I got them laughing with my antics, I knew I had it made......I can hunt this place anytime I want and promised to keep an eye out for anybody fooling around stupidly...This is the second time THIS year, the same scenario has happened to me at a different public park...Both times I talked my way into being able to hunt...all on account of pushing, talking bold, and of course just carrying that little screwdriver helps as a visual...

So Its no biggy if somebody in 'authority' tells you to stop...you can talk your way on through it generally...I usually go with forceful Humor...asking first is never a good idea, just deal with it if it comes along on a face to face basis....
Mud

Mud, you handled it perfectly!

Had a run-in with MY local park employee today, also. I'll start a new thread and share the story.

..... if somebody in 'authority' tells you to stop...you can talk your way on through it generally...

Mud, you handled it perfectly!...

Yes Mud, good story, and you handled it well. I would also add that your story is quite revealing on other implicit fronts too:

a) I'm willing to bet that whatever it was that this park worker was telling you, was not actual law/rule now (invented because others were "leaving holes"). But rather a "policy" that is just based on verbiage like "alter" and "deface". That is only just now actually being construed to include md'ing, on account of the dingbats that left holes. But I bet it no where truly actually said the words "Md'ing = prohibited".

b) Do you realize how often a booting or scram like that gets accepted by a skittish md'r as being a hard & fast "rule" ? Afterall, how can you argue with a duly appointed city employee, or cop, etc... ? Hence a lot of people just shake in their boots, and resign themselves to this "new law at such & such city".

c) I too have had "scrams" like that. But after casual conversation, they lighten up. Or .... despite the singular scram, have traveled through that same city a year later, and take my chances and go again. Never to hear "boo" from anyone ever again. In other words "flukes" by some authority having a bad hair day, but nothing else

d) Humorously, the skittish md'r who just assumes it's "gospel law" posts on a forum that "such & such city's parks are off-limits". That gets picked up and linked to another forum. And from there is picked up and linked to yet another forum. And pretty soon, it's on compendium lists that md'rs have compiled, and just accepted as true (hey, afterall, you can't argue with a compendium compiled list that has links to links to links afterall, now can you?)

Back
Top Bottom