WW2 Temporary Housing Hunt

pballwiz

Right after WW2 there was a housing shortage in many areas due to the number of soldiers returning state-side. Temporary housing went up in many area across the US to help address this issue.
My Dad (in his 80's) told me about such a place he remembers from back when he was a kid.
The place consisted of close to 100 structures. These were mostly 1-2 family units. It was constructed around 1946 and stood for 10 years or so.
Today there is no sign of where the structures stood.

With the help of my dad's memory and old aerial photos, I was able to locate where this community once stood.

Upon arrival what I saw was field and some woods.
Upon entering the wooded area I noticed what looked to be the remnants of an asphalt driveway or street. Way to thick and overgrown there to easily swing a coil.
Based on the old aerial maps I chose an area in the filed that was adjacent to one of the streets that is no longer there.
The weather was less than perfect but I did manage to detect for nearly an hour and was able to recover some coinage from the WW2 era.
No silver but some wheats from the 40's along with a 1940 George VI Penny told me that I had defiantly found the place.
I imagine that the George VI Penny was carried back by a soldier as a souvenir.
I love when research pays off!
Even though this place was only in existence for 10 years or so, I'm fairly confident that more goodies await my coil and shovel.

Attachments

• Photo Collage_20181112_125143325.jpg
    Photo Collage_20181112_125143325.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Good for you, nothing like when a plan comes together, now you just got ro figure out where they all played and hung out and your on it!

Nice play-by-play. And the British coin is a testament to how the soldiers brought back souvenirs :)

At the Ft. Ord base near me, there was lots of those post-war housing units that went in. Not only for the returning soldiers, as you say, but also for the Korean war, cold war, vietnam war, etc... All the married soldiers got a house. While the single men got barracks .

Yours would be better (assuming you can hack the high vegetation !), because yours is strictly older coins . But ours were used even into the 1990s. So they were riddled with clad . Ugghh. The silver and wheaties weren't too old, but it was sport just to bulk up.

Love that your research paid at least for the site. I'm sure Tom that the finds will come if you are persistent in working the area. Congrats! Trapper

Great research and nice finds.

I detect an old farm that is also quite overgrown. A lot is dying back for winter but still need to just bust into that stuff and swing the coil.

Best luck on more goodies.

Those big penny’s are so cool! I have yet to find one...

Hah!
At first I thought I had some rare old copper coin. The thing was encrusted with funk. I could make out part of a seated lady but didn't remember ever seeing a US copper or bronze coin with a seated figure. Wasn't until i got home that realized what i had found.
My 000 steel wool trick didn't do much besides remove some patina from George's head. Desperation got me to drop it in some olive oil.
After a few days crud had softened up enough for a toothpick to do its trick.
It's a pretty big coin those guys over in the UK must get tired of digging them like we tire of wheats.
This big Penny is the 3rfd foreign big cent I've found.
I have dug a large Canadian cent as well as an Australian one .
I'm assuming the Australian one was carried back by a soldier as a sovineer as it was from the the early 40's.

Hah!
At first I thought I had some rare old copper coin. The thing was encrusted with funk. I could make out part of a seated lady but didn't remember ever seeing a US copper or bronze coin with a seated figure. Wasn't until i got home that realized what i had found.
My 000 steel wool trick didn't do much besides remove some patina from George's head. Desperation got me to drop it in some olive oil.
After a few days crud had softened up enough for a toothpick to do its trick.
It's a pretty big coin those guys over in the UK must get tired of digging them like we tire of wheats.
This big Penny is the 3rfd foreign big cent I've found.
I have dug a large Canadian cent as well as an Australian one .
I'm assuming the Australian one was carried back by a soldier as a sovineer as it was from the the early 40's.

Ha! That’s funny because that’s what ran through my head when I was reading your story! I would think it was an old British King George LC or old us LC. Still a cool find. I would like to find a Canadian LC as well.

Nice job,congrats. I know some don't think much of them, But for me... Any time I come home with a wheatie its been a great hunt.

Back
Top Bottom