I crushed my dream.

Dan B.

Elite Member
I have always wanted to find Civil War items but living in northwest Ohio what are the chances.

I just recently got permission for a harvested wheat field. The farmer was very helpful he told me that he was going to do a light tilling and plant a cover crop. I was more than welcome to use it all the way till next spring.

Of course like a little child not able to wait until he has it completely tilled I decided to try detecting within the tire marks of the tractor in the areas in which he had the bales stacked. I found a toe tap some flat buttons and one Indian head penny. Here is where the nightmare begins.

I came across a signal and when I dug it up not being able to identify it I gave it a good rub on my blue jeans. And then I could not believe my eyes I Saw an Eagle cuff button. In my excitement trying to get my camera I lost my balance having my hand hit the ground hard realized I had crushed my Eagle button:dash2: I instantly packed up my items feeling sick to my stomach went home to cry.

Attachments

• IMG_20180709_105201.jpg
    IMG_20180709_105201.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 404
Damn. Sorry to hear that.
That's like pulling CW brass only to see shiny brass streak where you hit it with your digger.

Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Max.

I can dig it.

So sorry, bud that had to suck big time. I'm nearly sick reading it.

On the bright side, it sounds like an awesome find and an awesome spot, i think you have more great targets to find there!

So sorry, bud that had to suck big time. I'm nearly sick reading it.

On the bright side, it sounds like an awesome find and an awesome spot, i think you have more great targets to find there!

Yes you are right about the bright side. As soon as he gets the stubble trimmed all the way down I believe there is more good targets to come. There will be more area to search and there was also two or three more buildings on the back side of the property at one time.

Usually where there is one button, there's more..

I've found a civil war artillery button not too far from you too, near Waterville Ohio..

So don't loose hope just yet...

<°)))>{

Aw man that stinks! We've all nicked or ruined a good find a time or two. Don't beat yourself up too much. Judging by the finds you've made so far in that field, I bet there's some more awesome finds waiting for you there. Including more buttons! Good luck!

Usually where there is one button, there's more..

I've found a civil war artillery button not too far from you too, near Waterville Ohio..

So don't loose hope just yet...

<°)))>{

Thanks I will keep my fingers crossed. Yes Waterville is close to me.

Aw man that stinks! We've all nicked or ruined a good find a time or two. Don't beat yourself up too much. Judging by the finds you've made so far in that field, I bet there's some more awesome finds waiting for you there. Including more buttons! Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm really sorry to hear about that button, Dan. :( :(

It's always disappointing to damage a find - I know my heart sinks even if I just kiss a coin with my digger. But we've all done it to some degree - in fact, I'm sure we've all flat out smoked a coin/relic or two, also. Truth be told, I broke my favorite eating utensil find - an old baby's fork that was a little bent. After getting it home and cleaning it up, I got the brilliant idea that maybe just a little pressure in the right spot could get some of the bend out...well, I promptly broke it in half. :shock: :no: So, maybe it's small consolation, but at least yours was an accident - my case was foolish, intentional action!

Whenever I damage an item, I get past it by telling myself that if I hadn't dug it, the item would have just disintegrated into the earth over time anyway. Take heart in the knowledge that you've got many more great finds to come!

Back
Top Bottom