What to dig?

Josh

I recently got an ACE250 and have spent a little bit of time detecting. However, I'm still having a hard time deciding what to dig when I'm in a real trashy area. For example, I've found a school built in the late 50's in a bad part of town that doesn't appear to have been hunted at all. So, I get hits everywhere, but yet have to come to any fair conclusion as to what to dig and what not to dig. Any advice would be great. Do you guys generally only dig hits that are strong and solid? I've been staying away from hits that jump around to more than 2 ranges.

You could lower your sens and raise your coil a bit more off the ground and set your detector to reject anything from a zink penny on down. Work a ten foot area like that then lower your coil and raise your sens and work the area over again.

After thats done you can adjust your Detector again to accept nickel (pulltab) and work that ten foot area all over again. ;)

Hhehe or you could set it to accept coinage only and do the drunk sailor. Works pretty good for some pocket change.

edit>
Forgot to add>> the little sniper coil for the ace works great in trashy areas.

I base what I dig upon my mood, the conditions at the moment, and how much time I have. If I have plenty of time, it's dry and somewhat warm, and I'm feeling good, I dig most everything. If I have to be home in 30 minutes, it's raining, and I'm feeling lousy, I dig up only what I am fairly certain is not junk. Of course, I have yet to hunt anywhere that I didn't think I would at some point return to.

I also base it on the prevalence of good hits. If I'm getting strong tones all over, I'm more inclined to skip the iffy ones. But if any sort of hit is few and far between, I'm more inclined to dig the maybes.

But that's just me!

The area I'm detecting is on their football field. I still don't have a probe, so when I dig its hard to not make a real mess of their field eventhough it really is beatup. My first day there I found a silver ring, my first silver yet. Yes, its all about 4-5 inches deep. I've dug a lot of the older pull tabs and some coins. They are old, but not old enough for wheat pennies or silver. I'm hoping I might find some because it is a fairly old school.

On another note, any recommendations on finding local metal detecting shops. I really need a probe. I googled my area code and didn't find anything.

Josh said:
The area I'm detecting is on their football field. I still don't have a probe, so when I dig its hard to not make a real mess of their field eventhough it really is beatup. My first day there I found a silver ring, my first silver yet. Yes, its all about 4-5 inches deep. I've dug a lot of the older pull tabs and some coins. They are old, but not old enough for wheat pennies or silver. I'm hoping I might find some because it is a fairly old school.

On another note, any recommendations on finding local metal detecting shops. I really need a probe. I googled my area code and didn't find anything.
I just ordered mine from TonyinCT, he is on the boards.

Back
Top Bottom