Tribe hiding in the wheat

Foragist

Forum Supporter
I had an accumulation of extra crusty pennies put aside from this season. I thought they were all wheats, but maybe a couple memorials. I decided to just give them a few hrs in the tumbler, and see how it went. After rinsing, I got to inspecting. There were around 20 pennies total. No memorials, but three were actually Indianheads! 1882, '87, and '89. My oldest coins of this year, plus my only Indianheads, and I didn't even know it.
OK, I know your not supposed to clean any coins of value like this, but I thought a few wheats were no biggie. After inspection, though, I see several look damaged from cleaning. Glad there were no high value key dates. The IHP's didn't get too damaged from cleaning. The 1889 was stamped a little off center. Here's what they look like now:

Attachments

• DSCN4078.jpg
    DSCN4078.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN4079.jpg
    DSCN4079.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN4080.jpg
    DSCN4080.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN4082.jpg
    DSCN4082.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 227
Perfect post title! Sweet bonus to find those Indians hiding out - and a cool surprise for them to turn out to be your oldest finds for the year! Now excuse me while I go take a look through my clad dime jar - maybe I missed a silver Rosie :grin:

When the weather goes below freezing like this, it's about all you can do is clean the stuff you found during the year. Hoping for 40 degrees Saturday:yes:

Back
Top Bottom