Ground Conditions vs. Ground Balance

Canewrap

I had read on one of the other forums about someone getting better depth in iffy ground by running their gb slightly negative. So, having some moderately bad ground around the back of our house I decided to try and ground balance My Tesoro Tejon slightly negative, just to see if I could pick up the flat button I buried last year at 8", for a test (button slightly smaller than a dime and made of tin). Well, I was shocked because not only could I pick it up as a good target, but when I flipped over disc 2, set slightly above foil, I was still getting a good signal. The Tejon is not supposed to be able to handle iffy ground and here it was doing better than most of the machines I've tried in my backyard. Makes me wonder if setting ground balance isn't quite the straight forward thing I've always been led to believe it is. Any comments or experience on playing with ground balance based on ground conditions?

Vaquero user chiming in

Thats a great idea, I've never experimented with GB for getting more depth.
I guess I'm still getting used to the basics of GB on my Vaq.
It seems like it would be a trade off between depth and being able to focus through the chatter.
Many times when my GB is off and the chatter and false signals are getting too irritating, it seems that its a little too neg.
So much depends on the specific situation I guess.

You should read Monte's excellent threads on the other forum. His power balancing technique really works. Basically, he states that on Tesoro's there is a positive offset on the silent search mode after ground balancing to neutral in All Metal. So when you switch to silent search it will be on the positive side. The problem is you don't know how positive the setting is. Power balancing eliminates the problem of being too positive in the silent search discriminate mode. It is now set for a neutral GB but switching to AM and checking the GB will give a very negative GB response. Took me a while to figure out what Monte was talking about but after doing lots of experimenting with my modded Cibola I get it now. Hope my reply makes sense. I'm not good at explaining things in words. Digger27 has some links posted on this forum for Monte's power balancing technique which explains how to do it.

Last edited:
Just another reason that I love my XT-705. Ground balance "offset" is one of it's handier user configurable features. And when encorporated with it's auto tracking feature, it yeilds amaising results.

Ah, but just how do you know just how much of an offset to dailin? I had a 705 and nothing I did could get it to see a target as deep as the 70 I have. I use my X-terra 70 for coinshooting, where 8" is about the max you really need (in my experience, others will have different experiences I'm sure) and where TID to about 7" is very useful among the trash . The TID on any machine I've had only got about 6"-7" with any real accuracy. I got the Tejon to hunt old homesites and fields, where 10"-11" is occasionally needed and where digging almost everything is the norm.

And again, there are several variables, not the least of which would be the frequency of the coil being used.
Ex-Terra TID Bins By Frequency.jpg

You should read Monte's excellent threads on the other forum. His power balancing technique really works. Basically, he states that on Tesoro's there is a positive offset on the silent search mode after ground balancing to neutral in All Metal. So when you switch to silent search it will be on the positive side. The problem is you don't know how positive the setting is. Power balancing eliminates the problem of being too positive in the silent search discriminate mode. It is now set for a neutral GB but switching to AM and checking the GB will give a very negative GB response. Took me a while to figure out what Monte was talking about but after doing lots of experimenting with my modded Cibola I get it now. Hope my reply makes sense. I'm not good at explaining things in words. Digger27 has some links posted on this forum for Monte's power balancing technique which explains how to do it.

Yes I do...and as you now know, these techniques really do work!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61531

i tweek the ground balance all the time on the AT pro when hunting the wet sand

Back
Top Bottom