• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Civil war bullet ID please.

Caintuk

I found these at a construction site, where I have found many bullets before. I am amazed at the variation of bullets that I have found. Just when I think there could be no more variations, then this one pops up. I added the pic with all the bullets I found yesterday to give an idea about the size. I don't have a caliper yet,but it is too big to be a pistol round. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2017-08-29 10.42.07.jpg
    2017-08-29 10.42.07.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 2017-08-29 10.40.26.jpg
    2017-08-29 10.40.26.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 2017-08-29 10.41.37.jpg
    2017-08-29 10.41.37.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 183
Bullet

The bullet appears to be a .55 caliber Suhl; a great little CS bullet.

It's hard to tell by the photo, so maybe if you can add a pic of the base. I just need to make sure its not a cut-off .54 caliber 3-ringer.

Great little spot you hit there!

I will send another pic. I don't believe it is a cut off 3 ringer. Caliber size slightly smaller than the three ringer next to it. Had my friend take it home to use caliper to measure it. If it is a suhl, that means I have pulled 3 ringers, triangle based Minie, gardiners, .69 round ball, buck and ball, .36 caliber round ball pistol and conical pistol. Knapsack rivets, and the remnants of what appeared to be a sabre scabbard belt buckle. All found on a small patch of less than 5 acres of unimproved ground. There used to be a large estate there, belonging to the Cassius Clay family. Used as headquarters for Braxton Bragg for the south and Bull Nelson for the union. Battle raged right on the grounds. Now it will soon all be under blacktop. I tried to get permission long before the idea of a shopping mall was conceived, but to no avail. Now that I have permission, I am racing the excavators, and losing ground every day.

best of luck.. there should be plenty great finds waiting the for you.. HH

Back
Top Bottom