Metal detecting is not allowed at Seattle parks

Can't smoke in the same parks, can't swim more than 50ft from shore, can't wear green on Thursday, or Tuesday. Your not allowed to think about who is controlling you. By reading this, you've signed over all your rights, and have been reported...

<°)))>{

Highball, did you click on the citation they give to the law ? Notice it doesn't specifically say "no metal detecting". In fact, the policy letter itself admits:

"We also don’t allow metal detecting and digging in Seattle parks.Although the Park Code doesn’t specifically cite metal detecting, SMC 18.12.070 prohibits anyone from removing (or destroying, mutilating, or defacing) lawn, sand, soil, sod, or pretty much anything found in a park."

(emphasis mine)

Ok, that relies on the "digging" and "mutilating" and "removing" verbiage to disallow md'ing. Then in that case, it's not only Seattle that can say this. EVERY CITY IN THE USA can therefore be "off-limits" . Because all cities have such boiler plate verbiage.

And I question this line:

"We know there are leave-no-trace metal detectors, but many people are not "

I wonder if they can really cite any such incident ? Of someone who left holes ? Because quite often they just say "no because of holes" ONLY because that's the knee-jerk reaction image that the average person has, when tasked with thinking about "a man with a metal detector". So for example: they pass by the park one day and see a detector (or someone comes waltzing in to ask "can I metal detect?"). And what the first thing that might come to their mind ? Holes, of course. EVEN IF THEY NEVER SAW A HOLE.

And the md'r walks away muttering under their breath: "Durned those guys that must've left holes." I'm not so sure there was necessarily cases of holes (that would've led to formalized rules anyhow).

Anyhow, this is just a policy statement (enforceable none-the-less). But so long as you left no trace (mutilate vs mutilatED), then you wouldn't *technically* be afoul of that. Yes the "remove" verbiage is harder to get around (you "remove" coins after all, eh ?). But so too is that going to be a bug at any city across the USA. Yet md'ing is common-place where such verbiage exists.

Can't smoke in the same parks, can't swim more than 50ft from shore, can't wear green on Thursday, or Tuesday. Your not allowed to think about who is controlling you. By reading this, you've signed over all your rights, and have been reported...

<°)))>{

What the heck are you going on about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

<°)))>{

And don't forget to pay your taxes

I see nothing wrong with any of that. Maybe the swimming thing, actually, but that's about it.

The Seattle Parks rule has been written that way for as long as I've been hunting. I think this is currently the buzz around the local clubs because some communications person writes posts for the web site, and apparently chooses different subjects - this time she's after us.

As far as I'm concerned, how and where I hunt does not break the written rule, so until they actually write "no metal detecting" into the rules, nothing changes for me. I don't damage, deface destroy or remove any of the items listed. I dig in the woods, not in lawn. I fill my holes, and don't cause any damage.

Just my input.

Not at all. But if I'm playing in the park with my kids, I don't like the idea of people smoking up around them or the play area or having to deal with cigarette butts littering said play area. As for the swimming thing, I don't really care about it. I don't boat, so I don't know how visible the average swimmer is or not. And when it comes to the film festival, what does that have to do with the aforementioned city rules and regulations? It's completely irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all. But if I'm playing in the park with my kids, I don't like the idea of people smoking up around them or the play area or having to deal with cigarette butts littering said play area.

I agree with this, but I don't entirely agree with Seattle banning smoking in ALL parks (however, I do understand they want to reduce litter). They should at least leave some parks for people to smoke in, and in these parks, ban smoking within 35ft of a playground.

What the heck are you going on about?

The piling on of government regulations.

You can metal detect in Springfield, Mo's downtown park but you can't lie down on the grass. Give em an inch and they will take a mile.

Sec. 82-36. - Lying on grass.
No person shall lie upon the grass in Park Central Square at any time except during city-authorized events conducted upon the Square.

It says you can't REMOVE sand. Not move it. So if you can't move it, you can't walk in it or build a sand castle or anything. Walking in sand disturbs it period,

LOL more stupid laws to challenge.

I agree with banning Metal Detecting! In fact, I go to the local City Council meetings and lobby aggressively for them! ...I wish it would catch on and go Nationwide!

Some of the BEST hunting is in those banned Parks! I dont know what it is, but its like you own the place!:laughing:

It's triggered again. Is there an FMDF safe space available? I went with it because we weren't informed as to what pronoun it goes by and I don't want to upset anyone unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The Seattle Parks rule has been written that way for as long as I've been hunting. I think this is currently the buzz around the local clubs because some communications person writes posts for the web site, and apparently chooses different subjects - this time she's after us.

As far as I'm concerned, how and where I hunt does not break the written rule, so until they actually write "no metal detecting" into the rules, nothing changes for me. I don't damage, deface destroy or remove any of the items listed. I dig in the woods, not in lawn. I fill my holes, and don't cause any damage.

Just my input.

Excellent input SueK. Bravo. Yes, ALL "parks rules" (in every city) have similar broad boiler plate wording. I mean, duh, have you ever seen a park that "allows" vandalism ? "allows" mutilation ? And you're right: If you leave no trace, then presto, you haven't vandalizED anything. :roll:

Is that to say that every single passerby or blog writer agrees with those semantics? Of course not. Hence avoid that one singular lookie lou griper. As you're not likely to get them to be converted to "love & adore you".

And if you're right that this link the OP gives is nothing more than blog type commentary, then I would not hold that on par with law. Since, as agreed, the law itself did/does not specifically say "no md'ing". Yes it's true that someone in authority can "interpret" ancillary verbiage to apply (and "scram" you). But to me that simply means to avoid that one person.

In a city the size of Seattle, if it's just this one person saying this, then to me, I would not stop. And wouldn't fight them. No "seeking clarifications" from higher up, lest you just open cans of worms that no one cared about (till your "pressing question" arrived). Instead, just pick lower traffic times, and I bet no one else really cared less.

The piling on of government regulations.

You can metal detect in Springfield, Mo's downtown park but you can't lie down on the grass. Give em an inch and they will take a mile.

Sec. 82-36. - Lying on grass.
No person shall lie upon the grass in Park Central Square at any time except during city-authorized events conducted upon the Square.

How much you want to make a bet that if someone went to Park Central Square, and (gasp) lied on the grass, that no one would care less ? Let's be frank here: Such wording was to keep people (homeless) from camping out, sleeping, etc... If you had a picnic, and reclined down , do you *really* think someone's going to care ? Or come rushing up and ticket you ? Of course not.

So too do I not understand why some md'rs fret themselves silly with wording that was never initially meant to snare md'rs. Could it ? SURE . Especially if you went asking enough desk-bound bored pencil pushers. Might someone gripe ? SURE. So pick lower traffic times. Heck, it's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene. I am resigned to the fact that I'm in an odd-ball eye-sore hobby. And am not going to please every last lookie-lou on the planet.

Back
Top Bottom