observation from a novice!!!

wvdave107

Elite Member
I'm the novice, lol....Last few times I've been detecting I opted not to use my headphones, no particular reason, just didn't use them. Today I threw them back on my machine and went at it. What I thought I was hearing without the headphones is nothing compared to what I heard with them. I hunted in my usual trashy park with the stock coil on my ATP. I noticed that between the trashy signals I'd pick up a really high tone briefly as I was swinging. I could slow down just a little and distinctly pick up the good tone hidden in the trash. I'd dig it and sure enough it was a coin, a modern coin, but a coin none the less. Now my curiosity is peaked. I'm going to have to go back over some of the areas I've hunted without headphones to see what I have missed. I knew using them made some difference, but today was the first time I realized just how important they can be, especially in trashy areas. Seems I learn a little more every time I turn on my machine. look forward to learning more.....HH

Good observation! I never hunt with headphones on because I don't like the idea of not being aware of my surroundings, but I might give it a shot next time. :)

Good observation! I never hunt with headphones on because I don't like the idea of not being aware of my surroundings, but I might give it a shot next time. :)

It really made a difference. Before, in the same area, I would just pass over a target that was giving me trashy tones and VDI's. With the headphones I was able to narrow down and pick out the good tones very easily. Most of my plugs were around three inches in diameter. Made pinpointing the target much easier. I agree with you about being aware of your surroundings. I just turned the volume down bit. I still heard the people around me and the cars passing on the road. Give it a try. I know it seemed to make a difference for me.

...I agree with you about being aware of your surroundings. I just turned the volume down bit. I still heard the people around me and the cars passing on the road. Give it a try. I know it seemed to make a difference for me.

Like X-Terra, I really want to make sure I'm hearing what's going on around me. The compromise for me is wearing the headphones on one ear and off the other. With the Ace 400, having the headphones on isn't so much out of worry that I'll miss something - since it's a bell tone machine, there really aren't many signal nuances that I need to be wearing headphones to catch. For the Ace, it's a matter of not wanting to be an annoyance - the control box doesn't have a volume control for the speaker, and the factory set volume is incredibly loud! I seriously think a deaf person using the Ace would be fully aware when the coil was over a silver dime by the vibration transmitted through the handle and cuff from an open Ace 400 speaker!! I swear I can feel the bell tones in my chest with the open speaker :lol: So running without headphones would have the townsfolk running me out of most places like Frankenstein's monster - the only way for me not to annoy the neighbors is to control the volume through a volume pot on a set of headphones.

That said, maybe you're right, wvdave. I probably should try hunting some areas with both ear cups over my ears - perhaps I am missing more than I think? And with the in-line volume control on the headphones, maybe I can turn things down enough to maintain situational awareness, too.

Move one side off one ear, you can alternate back and forth. Keeps one ear open for situational awareness, and the other tuned-in to your MD.

Move one side off one ear, you can alternate back and forth. Keeps one ear open for situational awareness, and the other tuned-in to your MD.

That's quite a good idea! Thanks! I've also got my WM module for the CTX so I guess I could give that a try as well.

Headphones are a must. You miss lot's of information without them. I use smaller, wireless headphones. They sound great but don't completely cover your ears, letting in the sounds around you. Wireless is also the only way to go. I will never go back to wired.

Using cheap headphones also costs you targets. Good quality headphones give you better tones. I have tried not using headphones. I found that I only heard the loudest signals. Tried using a cheap pair of headphones and could hear a bit better but still could not hear those weaker tones that indicate deeper targets

I need all the help I can get and good headphones make a real difference.

I had a set of Detectorpro Rattlers that I still can't believe I let go. Single cup headphones are an invaluable addition to an arsenal. Besides, I like the battery life I get using headphones over not.

Brutal honesty here, but anyone who is serious about detecting and doesn't want to miss anything deep or around trash wears headphones. Every time.

HEADPHONE UPDATE!!! Went to my trashy park earlier today to see what I could do...Again, using my headphones I was able to detect the minute "good" tones among the trash. Admittedly, I did get some nice tones on some really old pull tabs...dug 5 of them. All in all I dug 15 pieces of clad, 2 quarters, 5 dimes and 8 Lincolns. When I say trashy park, I mean it is littered with pull tabs, bottle caps, foil and can slaw. Back in the 70's and 80's this was the place people would go to cruise, hang out and drink beer. Literarily, everywhere you swing a coil you get a hit. I cant believe there is so much trash buried there. It is a really nice place, tennis courts, golf course, soccer complex and swimming pool. I truly believe the headphones have made the difference between finding junk and finding clad. Even being a novice to the hobby, I HIGHLY recommend the use of decent headphones when possible. It has made my last couple of hunts much more enjoyable!!!

HEADPHONE UPDATE!!! Went to my trashy park earlier today to see what I could do...Again, using my headphones I was able to detect the minute "good" tones among the trash. Admittedly, I did get some nice tones on some really old pull tabs...dug 5 of them. All in all I dug 15 pieces of clad, 2 quarters, 5 dimes and 8 Lincolns. When I say trashy park, I mean it is littered with pull tabs, bottle caps, foil and can slaw. Back in the 70's and 80's this was the place people would go to cruise, hang out and drink beer. Literarily, everywhere you swing a coil you get a hit. I cant believe there is so much trash buried there. It is a really nice place, tennis courts, golf course, soccer complex and swimming pool. I truly believe the headphones have made the difference between finding junk and finding clad. Even being a novice to the hobby, I HIGHLY recommend the use of decent headphones when possible. It has made my last couple of hunts much more enjoyable!!!

Better to find this out sooner than later!:grin: A great set of headphones is actually capable of reproducing audio better than the sometimes "less than stellar" speakers which are used on some models. More accurate audio means more information to the ear....audio is KING!

Alright, last update...LOL HEADPHONES are a MUST!!! Hit my park again. With my headphones I've been able to find more clad in the past few day than I have in the past couple of months put together. I am a believer!!! I can hear so much more detail. May not make a difference with a site that is not filled with trash, but this location it is a must. Lessoned learned!!! Use headphones!!! It has opened up a new dimension for me. Maybe I'll snag some rings or jewelry, but for now seems I'm finding clad every time I swing my coil....HH Don't think too many people detect there.....

Helps the batteries last longer as well.:yes:

Yes that's another good reason to use headphones, battery lasts longer. Also you don't draw so much attention with all the beeping.

And headphones are a must in trash too. The more information the better.

Back
Top Bottom