F70 hits the beach

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
My family and I took a short vacation to the beach at Oak Island, NC this past weekend. I had been looking forward to this and especially trying out my F70 on wet salt sand. Although I didn't have a lot of time to detect, I did find out that the F70 works pretty good on wet sand. The beach near where we stayed was practically empty and probably doesn't get a lot of traffic even in the peak months. My finds were meager, but being my first time detecting on a beach it was still fun. The F70 ran well on wet sand. Ground balance went to 0 on wet sand and stayed in the mid 90's where the sand was really dry. Also ran very quietly in disc and all metal mode. I was surprised by the lack of trash...either it's very deep or there's not much trash at the beach I was on. Deepest find was a bottle cap at around 7-8 inches (hard to tell exactly how deep when digging in sand...I didn't have a scoop).

Even with the sensitivity set at 60 or 70 the F70 ran smooth and quiet as long as the coil didn't touch the sand. I even tried it right up at the water line and it still stayed very composed. Maybe one of these days I'll get a dedicated beach detector, but until then I can still have fun using what I have:D

Attachments

• IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 421
great detector

you managed to disc out bobbie pins and fish hooks. That right there saves a lot of needless digging.:laughing:

Just kidding, Not to many land machines can stay stable around salt.

Nice! I was wondering the same thing with my f70. I plan on heading to Panama City soon, hopefully bottle caps will disappear before I go.:laughing:

Nice to know this thing will balance down to salt...just as the manual says it will.

Other tips for hunting in saltwater that seem to work from tinfoil...
Frequency 7 seems to be important.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,617795,618873#msg-618873

There are some others out there too using multi tones that have been very successful in beach areas using the F70 and F75.
Using any of these forget the screens...it is ALL about the tones using these methods.

Nice to know this thing will balance down to salt...just as the manual says it will.

Other tips for hunting in saltwater that seem to work from tinfoil...
Frequency 7 seems to be important.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,617795,618873#msg-618873

There are some others out there too using multi tones that have been very successful in beach areas using the F70 and F75.
Using any of these forget the screens...it is ALL about the tones using these methods.

Yes, the id #s were off for the most part or varied quite a bit. The two quarters rang up around 80 if I recall correctly, but they were in the dry sand. In my dirt around where I live in Western NC, quarters usually ring up at 83 or 84 when that shallow. I did bury a zinc penny in the wet sand about 5" deep and it rang up in the low 20's. I also dug up some small, flat pieces of iron or steel and they rang up in the 80's, but had lots of variation in the numbers. I was pretty much digging up any good sounding signal.

One other note: I kept switching between AT (all metal) and disc mode and sometimes I would pick up something in AT (even with sense set low at 30) that wouldn't make a sound in disc with sense at 50 and disc at 0...however no numbers would show up on the screen in AT when that happened. I tried digging a few of those and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming it was very small piece of corroded iron because on a couple of other signals like that I did find a very small piece of iron. BTW, my whites TRX pinpointer was worthless when digging in the wet sand. When digging down in the wet sand and water would start filling in the bottom of the hole, the pinpointer would go off anywhere it touched the water. It worked ok on top of the sand where the water didn't pool up.

Which beach were you on on Oak Island ? I worked there for about 6 months in 2015 , and the beaches did seem to be pretty clean there, not very much trash, or targets. The west end of the beach was dredged up back then, so if you were on that end, it just hasn't been restocked from the tourist yet ,:lol:. I'm hoping to get back there this year for a visit myself.

Which beach were you on on Oak Island ? I worked there for about 6 months in 2015 , and the beaches did seem to be pretty clean there, not very much trash, or targets. The west end of the beach was dredged up back then, so if you were on that end, it just hasn't been restocked from the tourist yet ,:lol:. I'm hoping to get back there this year for a visit myself.

Yep, we were on the West end of the island. We did go to the East end where the lighthouse is on the last afternoon and I found the two quarters and one dime there in about an hour or less. There's a LOT of beach to cover at Oak Island!

Back
Top Bottom