When is the tide "cutting"?

generic

So an old seasoned detectorist that is basically my mentor said to look for when the sea is "cutting", meaning it's moving the sand out especially if it's causing a drop off on the shore line or in the surf etc..

He is retired so he drives around and looks at the beach, if it's not "cutting" he goes back home. "Too much sand" he'd say.

But what's the "science" behind that, and is there a way to know when that's going to happen - what conditions cause that kind of erosion (other than something like a storm)

The science is actually pretty simple. Heavy crashing waves will pull sand off of beaches. Light gentle wave action pushes sand ON beaches.

If you've ever panned for gold, you know that the gentle swirling action of a small amount of water can push sand in the direction of the swirl. Think of that as pushing sand ONTO the beach.

But what happens if the water wave is so large that the pull BACK into the ocean is the driving force? Sand removal, of course! Large crashing waves due to a strong tide, or especially in a strong storm can remove large amounts of sand.

The amount of sand movement can be absolutely incredible. As in FEET of sand moving onto and off of beaches.

The term "sanded in" means that lots of sand has moved onto the beaches (typically, as a result of lots of gentle wave action). You can typically tell a beach that is sanded in, because the sand is soft underfoot at the wet sand mark. That's an obvious give-away. The sand hasn't settled yet, and it still being pushed up.

Cuts are a result of waves or ocean tides (sometimes strong rip tides or simple physics can do it) that pull sand off of the beach in large strips. Some cuts are small, as a result of tidal action that creates a channel or trough on the beach, other "cuts" are nearly beachwide, where the sand has been stripped off in massive quantities resulting in almost a Ledge of sand followed by missing sand (like a small cliff!). The science behind it makes cuts unpredictable in smaller versions, but more predictable behind storms. It's why visual inspection is sometimes necessary. There's so many chaotic forces in the ocean, being able to "predict" a cut is very hard, other than at large events. It's why the old-timer goes, looks, and then makes a call.

These "Cuts" have removed a lot of the top sand, and leave the heavier objects behind. These can be honey holes, and in a matter of yards, a good cut can produce lots of heavy objects, including sinkers and gold... which is what folks are looking for. :)

Also, some storms can PUSH sand up onto the beaches. Not all wave movement is the same. Sometimes, though, those rolling sands that are pushed up will drag stuff with them that is hecka old.

Which all comes down to this... If you're at a beach and NOT swinging a coil, you're not going to find anything, guaranteed. If you're at a sanded in beach, can you still find stuff? Sure! It's fewer and farther between, and what you do find is likely to be littered with lots of light trash. But you can find fresh drops, or drops that simply haven't moved in the sand much (it does take some vibration/water to make that happen).

But... if you're at a beach, and you find a good cut, you can find quite a bit of awesome stuff in a short area, in a short time. That's what the guy is looking for...

Every time I've been to Israel and detected the beaches, it's been in sanded in conditions. The first time, I still pulled a 67-69AD coin, and a 22K gold bangle. The coin was in 4" of wet sand, the gold bangle near the back wall in dry sand as a fresh drop. The second time I pulled NO heavy objects, but managed $160 in change out of the dry sand. In the wet, I found coins back to the 1960's and 50's... Clearly rolled in at some point. Stuff can be found... no doubt. Remember, too, that sand moves with stuff in it... just not typically the really dense stuff, which drops out quickly.

Cheers,

Skippy

Great stuff, thanks!

I'm very new to it, but my scoop should be arriving soon and I'm looking forward to getting in the water!

I remember as a kid seeing those cliffs on the beach taller than I was (which wasn't much, but still! They were huge!) Now I can't wait for that to happen again!

Great stuff, thanks!

I'm very new to it, but my scoop should be arriving soon and I'm looking forward to getting in the water!

I remember as a kid seeing those cliffs on the beach taller than I was (which wasn't much, but still! They were huge!) Now I can't wait for that to happen again!

Yup! Go get um! You'll love sand hunting. It's my favorite. I like dirt, don't get me wrong, but sand hunting is just way KEWLER.

Probably because I get to carry a big pooper scooper.

I borrowed the old fellas metal scoop once and went out at low tide, but there was "too much sand" for him! I found some change and costume jewellery nothing too exciting.

I left a few signals because I am not great at pinpointing and I felt like I was digging in 5 feet of water forever and the sand was just filling back in the hole every time I took a scoop out.

So I left my first Rolex there :(

When I get my own scoop I'll just keep digging!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I borrowed the old fellas metal scoop once and went out at low tide, but there was "too much sand" for him! I found some change and costume jewellery nothing too exciting.

I left a few signals because I am not great at pinpointing and I felt like I was digging in 5 feet of water forever and the sand was just filling back in the hole every time I took a scoop out.

So I left my first Rolex there :(

When I get my own scoop I'll just keep digging!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a beach hunter and pretty new at this too, still learning about the ebb and flow of the sands, so this has been a helpful thread.

I totally hate having to give up on signals! You're digging the water-hole to China (or america, in my case) you know something's in there but darned if it's gonna get in your scoop.

I just tell myself it was a can buried deep, or a big pipe, or a hub cap, or something along those lines. You know...so I can sleep at night. :lol:

I'm a beach hunter and pretty new at this too, still learning about the ebb and flow of the sands, so this has been a helpful thread.

I totally hate having to give up on signals! You're digging the water-hole to China (or america, in my case) you know something's in there but darned if it's gonna get in your scoop.

I just tell myself it was a can buried deep, or a big pipe, or a hub cap, or something along those lines. You know...so I can sleep at night. :lol:

We all do that... We all do.

Nobody in their right mind skips the 1799 Draped Bust Silver dollar at 13 inches...

Learn your beach. What direction does the swell normally come from? Find a tide chart, and watch for swells coming from the opposite direction. Check the direction of the wind. Most of all, if you can, look at the beach daily.

Here's some vids for starters...

R5

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom