Compardre or AT Pro vs. CTX at tot lots?

palmettoguy

I've decided to start hunting tot lots and was wondering if a Compadre or AT Pro would be better to use than my CTX w/ 5x10 coil.
I'm after gold. Small gold, big gold, thin gold, fat gold :laughing:

The Compadre can find targets closer to big metal than any other detector/coil/setting that I have ever tried...and believe me I have tried.
Does it easily too, if you listen for that double beep or triple beep if the target is shallow.
I am talking not just near but right next to or even leaning on big metal and that would be any Compadre with any size coil.

My tot lots are all unusually clean, someone scours these things regularly but at every one I have hunted I have no problem finding targets near most of the metal legs.
Whatever these other guys are using it sure ain't a Compadre...thank goodness.

It can find silver in any size, weight, shape or form like it was a religion.
That is why there is a cult built up around this thing and we even have a church.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=87892

This is the smallest, thinnest silver ring I have ever found.
It was in an old super trashy park and was closely surrounded by larger pieces of trash on 3 sides.
My 7" coil had to be over all 4 targets at the same time and I heard them all in low disc.
When I maxed out the disc the others went away but this thing still rang in loud and clear like it was a silver dollar.

PicsArt_1441543209962.jpg

Then there is that gold thing, and it finds chains of any size better than any detector I have ever owned.
I don't just use mine in tot lots, either.
Far from it and not just because it can find the goods anywhere but mostly because it is such a blast to use.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=86773

Here is that double beep thing with a borrowed 8"coil unit.
I stopped at a certain point but trust me I could have leaned this dime right on the pole and it would have still double beeped.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1441543017721.jpg
    PicsArt_1441543017721.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 328
The Compadre is worlds better at handling EMI than digital units. Getting non-stop crackles and chirps from a unit that is affected by nearby power lines, can really tire you out in a hunt.

It almost doesn't make sense for a unit that is a fraction of these other units. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and put you one in your lineup. You won't be sorry.

Sheesh if you want a cheap detector for gold you could get a ace150 or teknetiks something eurotek cheapo thing.:lol:

Depends on the tot lots to some extent. I used the Compadre with both the 8" & 5.7" coils and it hits the gold OK, but lacks the depth of the AT Pro. I have some tot lots with an easy 10" of wood chips. The Compadre would not hit them the AT Pro hit them easily. Personally I wouldn't use a CTX in a tot lot.

Last edited:
Even the smallest gold hits very well on the ATP with the small coil.. My smallest is .2g... The ATP is also very good with EMI, if it occurs, you can do a frequency shift and usually get rid of it...

Powerlines have never been an issue, they are my favorite places to hunt under....

The only EMI that I've had trouble with are WiFi areas...

<*)))>{

Even the smallest gold hits very well on the ATP with the small coil.. My smallest is .2g... The ATP is also very good with EMI, if it occurs, you can do a frequency shift and usually get rid of it...

Powerlines have never been an issue, they are my favorite places to hunt under....

The only EMI that I've had trouble with are WiFi areas...

<*)))>{

Same here, my ATP is rarely bothered by EMI and I hunt under high wires all the time in parks etc. Love the 5x8 coil for totlots, never felt like it lacked performance on a tot lot lol

I havent taken my 5x8 off the ATPro this year! Seems to hit deep as the stock coil and is very good on small gold. I found a very tiny ear ring this week in a tot lot about a foot from a metal pipe. Thats what I like about the 5x8 it lets you get close to the metal tot toys and still pick stuff up.

Thank you gentlemen!!! And thank you digger27 for your excellent reply! I'm now sold on the Compadre!
While the AT Pro looked like a viable option, I don't like the fact that I would need an additional coil (5x8) for tot lot use.

Thank you gentlemen!!! And thank you digger27 for your excellent reply! I'm now sold on the Compadre!
While the AT Pro looked like a viable option, I don't like the fact that I would need an additional coil (5x8) for tot lot use.

You dont NEED the 5x8 unless you want it. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom