Eyeball Find: Trimes, Nickels

SageGrouse

Elite Member
Well, I can't post images, but I FOUND some old OLD coins I remembered as a small child!

My grandmother had a tiny "coin collection" of coins she had saved from *her* childhood or from her own grandma. Well, I had forgotten about them completely but, in the process of getting ready to move, I found the old "strongbox" that Mama used to use for family records. As I moved it, I heard it rattle, so I opened it up and there was a small group of coins! Wowser!!

I am now the proud owner of

1 fair condition 1882? "shield nickel", not sure of the last number, though.
1 1903 "V" Nickel Very worn condition.
1 1908 "V" Nickel Also very worn
1 1866 "Trime" Fairly good condition
1 1872 "Trime" Slightly better "fair" condition
1 1956 5 Ore coin "GUSTAF VI ADOLF" on one side

And a real surprise! One I almost tossed aside as worthless!
1 1871 Oakland Brooklyn & Fruitvale R.R. Co. streetcar token!!
On one side it says "Oakland Brooklyn & Fruitvale R.R.Co. in a very elaborate Victorian stylized script, and on the other is a stamped image of a horse-drawn streetcar or trolley. Across the top it reads ONE FARE
and under the car it reads 1871 It's slightly smaller than a dine, perhaps the same size as the "Trimes"

I'm going to go do some research on the thing to see where it's from and what it's worth! Image below is NOT of my coin, because my printer is disconnected. :) My coin is in *slightly* better condition.

YAYYYYYYY!!!

SageGrouse

Attachments

• OaklandTOKEN.jpg
    OaklandTOKEN.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 243
I did! And (looks quickly at strongbox) they were about 6 inches deep! I had to dig quite a bit, but they came out very clean! I didn't even dig them with my digger (fingernails). So a lucky find indeed!

Regrettably the "Trimes" are the 3 cent nickels, not the silver. Ah well. But they are WAY cool! I think that Mama either found them in change (not impossible back in the 1920's) or got them from Granny, who got them when they were in circulation!

The token REALLY intrigues me! My great GREAT grandfather WAS a conductor on the San Francisco streetcars! The token is from *Oakland* so it is not at ALL impossible that he passed them down the line to my *fathewr's* side of the family! If so they could have been handled by him! TOTALLY cool and the *only* heirloom I have from *that* side of the family at all (except for my step-granddad's pocket watch)! That is the only remnant. Maybe the trimes and V nickels are from him as well. I will never know, now.

Sage(The San Francisco Treat)Grouse

Back
Top Bottom