Outhunted Again Bigly!

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
Red Sky in the morning, sailors take warning! Yesterday the Wife told me she was going sailing...Garage Sailing!:laughing: She hoisted sail and left port at dawn, setting a course for the rich section of town.

She spent $3 for the 14k! You can see the prices she paid for a pant load of silver...!:mad:....less than $10 total! She was really rubbing it in! A haul like this for any one of us would have been pretty monumental..especially me!.:mad:

Regarding the turkey mount...She said, "You remember when you were a turkey hunter, and how much money and time you wasted on THAT sport with no results?" "This reminded me of that...so I shot it down with a dollar!". Shivver me friggin Timbers! I dont even know why I try!:laughing: I like her lines and the cut of her jib though...
Mud

Attachments

• jun 17-16.jpg
    jun 17-16.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 308
  • jun 17-16-1.jpg
    jun 17-16-1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 301
  • jun 17-16-2.jpg
    jun 17-16-2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
I was gonna bid on some gold partials in an auction. My friend who runs the auction took them down thinking nobody would bid. I''d probably have gotten $600 in gold for 5 bucks:roll:

I have a bud,,he uses turkey fans off of turkeys,,and it really lures them in-- when hunting in more open terrain.

Hides him also,,until it is too late for the old gobblers.

She's a keeper my friend! LOL
Shawn

Yeah Red!...38 yrs and counting! You remember, back 30yrs ago a guy couldnt hardly find a turkey, unless it was a frozen Butterball at the grocery store? Well I fell in with some guys that were all about turkey hunting...Peer group Pressure kind of deal....I got all the calls and gear and up 2hrs before the sun to set up and call them in out of the roost trees...

I managed to shoot a few even! One was so small it didnt have a beard and still had eggshells stuck on its head! I caught all sorts of hell for that! :laughing: Once, I was out with my trusty 357 Ruger Security Six, called in a flock, they flew on in and were all running at me like a bunch of velociraptors! I drew a bead on the lead gobbler, pulled the trigger in self defense, and killed a tiny cornish game hen about 3 birds back!:laughing:

Thats when I quit that 'Sport' of Turkey hunting, and pistols too...I really suck at hunting and shooting, always have, but I sure can trap! I am extremely good at that...so I stick to my strengths now...which is trapping things...

30yrs later, I got all sorts of monstrous turkeys right in the backyard now!...They are all over the place! 11" beards with 4" spurs! A bit of 30lb spiderwire and some fishooks, a can of corn, that seems to be the easy way to catch turkeys! I even bought one of them propane fryers from Sams Club and some peanut oil just to keep them knocked down a little..:laughing: Like I said, I cant shoot worth a damn, but I can trap...and hey, when it comes to turkeys or gold hunting, who cares how you did it? Its all about the results!!:laughing:
Mud

Yeah Red!...38 yrs and counting! You remember, back 30yrs ago a guy couldnt hardly find a turkey, unless it was a frozen Butterball at the grocery store? Well I fell in with some guys that were all about turkey hunting...Peer group Pressure kind of deal....I got all the calls and gear and up 2hrs before the sun to set up and call them in out of the roost trees...

I managed to shoot a few even! One was so small it didnt have a beard and still had eggshells stuck on its head! I caught all sorts of hell for that! :laughing: Once, I was out with my trusty 357 Ruger Security Six, called in a flock, they flew on in and were all running at me! I pulled down on the lead gobbler, pulled the trigger, and killed a tiny cornish game hen about 3 birds back!:laughing: Thats when I quit that 'Sport' of Turkey hunting, and pistols too...I really suck at hunting and shooting, always have, but I sure can trap!

30yrs later, I got all sorts of monstrous turkeys right in the backyard now!...They are all over the place! 11" beards with 4" spurs! A bit of 30lb spiderwire and some fishooks, a can of corn, that seems to be the easy way to catch turkeys! I even bought one of them propane fryers from Sams Club and some peanut oil just to keep them knocked down a little..:laughing: Like I said, I cant shoot worth a damn, but I can trap...and hey, when it comes to turkeys or gold hunting, who cares how you did it? Its all about the results!!:laughing:
Mud
Mud, I made a lot of gas money in high school running a trap line. Of, course fur prices were substantially higher then. Hell, a nice big coon would brong $40. That was a pretty good payday for a 14 yr old kid that wanted to be outside all the time anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Mud, I made a lot of gas money in high school running a trap line. Of, course fur prices were substantially higher then. Hell, a nice big coon would brong $40. That was a pretty good payday for a 14 yr old kid that wanted to be outside all the time anyway.

No kidding right Red? I made big money in the late 70s at about that 14yr age....Now a days its tough to get $10 for a nice prime raccoon! Skinned,fleshed and dried! I did some damage control trapping in my time even...beaver, coyotes etc...just love it...Trapped in 7 different States...dedicated and out hard each year..still have dreams about it even...I've not made a set since I got into detecting though, besides mice of course...so thats 7yrs of no trapping, just detecting...

This detecting Sport has filled that hole in my heart for being out and looking for tracks and travel patterns and making money...I can skin, flesh and stretch all NA furbearing quadrupeds...maybe it will come in handy again someday....

The Wife did say once, probably the nicest complement I ever got from her..."Well, you sure can trap! As poor as we are, with all the trouble, I guess I wont have to ever worry about starving to death!":laughing:
Mud

Yep, I haven't done it for years either. Filled that hole with bow hunting for awhile, had bird dogs. I absolutely love quail hunting. Then the Missouri quail population tanked in the 90's. Still deer hunt occasionally. With a scoped Roger Super Blackhawk . I'm a pretty fair shot with it too. I've been an avid birdwatcher most of my life (ex referred to me as a bird nerd). I liked the moniker so I kept it and got rid of her. Lol this detecting thing was mostly to get me some exercise and keep me from getting bored while my sons were playing in the local parks, but as a history buff I just love digging up stuff to see what it is.

I have a bud,,he uses turkey fans off of turkeys,,and it really lures them in-- when hunting in more open terrain.

Hides him also,,until it is too late for the old gobblers.

Yep, works wonders. One of our guides at the hunting lodge was using a fan when a Jake ran in and roughed him up a little. Hilarious.

My question is how many of those critters that you trapped die you invite to the dinner table. Had an Uncle who trapped and he ate a variety of critters.

Back
Top Bottom