Bought a Fisher CZ21 Today

shinythings

Went to KellyCo today and they were very helpful... We left with a Garrett AT Pro for the wife and the Fisher CZ21 for me... (I want to take it diving and such in the islands)

I have one question, the CZ arm rest didn't come with a strap on it... is that normal? Also the instructions say I can adjust the arm rest by removing the screw and moving it to the next hole but there's no next hole!!! Anyone else have that problem?

Took my detector to the beach yesterday... First time out with it and all didn't go as planned... I couldn't get it to ground balance... I watched videos online while on the beach and prior to going to try via auto tune and manual... When I pumped, I got no noise out of the headphones... I can't figure out why... I tried with sensitivity up and down, disc at 0 etc... There was no ground balancing happening at all.... Any ideas? I did find a piece of wire with it, so I know it was sort of working.

Strange thing I had my wife's at pro right next to be and it ground balanced like a charm and I was able to find and dig a few things.

I'm new to all of this and I'm starting to think the cz21 was a bit out f my league after spending the few hours with it yesterday. I've read this manual front and back and watched numerous videos... The AT Pro worked great for me... so I'm thinking of sticking with it...

Thoughts?

OK no responses here but Was told by some locals that ground balancing at our beaches won't work so to turn the ground balance to 10 and leave it.

I have one other question... When you press the pinpoint, is there a way to tell for sure tha tyou are in pinpoint mode? How do i know if I am in pinpoint or out? If I hit the button, does it stop pinpointing after a period of time?

Took my detector to the beach yesterday... First time out with it and all didn't go as planned... I couldn't get it to ground balance... I watched videos online while on the beach and prior to going to try via auto tune and manual... When I pumped, I got no noise out of the headphones... I can't figure out why... I tried with sensitivity up and down, disc at 0 etc... There was no ground balancing happening at all.... Any ideas? I did find a piece of wire with it, so I know it was sort of working.

Strange thing I had my wife's at pro right next to be and it ground balanced like a charm and I was able to find and dig a few things.

I'm new to all of this and I'm starting to think the cz21 was a bit out f my league after spending the few hours with it yesterday. I've read this manual front and back and watched numerous videos... The AT Pro worked great for me... so I'm thinking of sticking with it...

Thoughts?

I have never used either detector but the one thing that stands true on all of them is practice practice practice and get used to your machine and learn it. Ive read good reviews on it so Id say give her a second chance with more love and time. That's my 2 cents and we don't even have pennies up here in Canada anymore lol.

Edit: Maybe watch some videos on tuning.

I have never used either detector but the one thing that stands true on all of them is practice practice practice and get used to your machine and learn it. Ive read good reviews on it so Id say give her a second chance with more love and time. That's my 2 cents and we don't even have pennies up here in Canada anymore lol.

Edit: Maybe watch some videos on tuning.

Hahaha... thanks yes I've decided to give it much more love... I've watched that video and several others... I need to get used to it... I was playing with my wife's Garrett AT Pro and the visual feedback you get is fantastic, so its hard to go from all that information to almost nothing... I have a lot to learn.

I've been using the CZ21 for a few years.

On beaches that have very low mineralization, you won't be able to ground balance. So leaving it at 10 or 1 is good advice. My beaches are very hot so I can always ground balance.

One thing to note, is that with some detectors, with a ground balance of 10 or 1, one may be slightly deeper. So I would bury a nickel at 9 inches or so, then test to see if 10 or 1 ground balance hits it harder. Which ever setting hits harder is the setting you want to leave it at. I've never tested to see if any ground balance setting is deeper on the CZ21.

The stock shaft on the CZ21 is kind of crappy. I would recommend getting an anderson straight shaft what allows you to mount the box under your elbow. It balances much better that way. Having the box above your hand will wear your arm out quick.

I leave the CZ21 in 0 (no disc) and never use the pinpoint button. With the fast recovery speed it's an easy machine to pinpoint with without using the pinpoint feature.

I've been using the CZ21 for a few years.

On beaches that have very low mineralization, you won't be able to ground balance. So leaving it at 10 or 1 is good advice. My beaches are very hot so I can always ground balance.

One thing to note, is that with some detectors, with a ground balance of 10 or 1, one may be slightly deeper. So I would bury a nickel at 9 inches or so, then test to see if 10 or 1 ground balance hits it harder. Which ever setting hits harder is the setting you want to leave it at. I've never tested to see if any ground balance setting is deeper on the CZ21.

The stock shaft on the CZ21 is kind of crappy. I would recommend getting an anderson straight shaft what allows you to mount the box under your elbow. It balances much better that way. Having the box above your hand will wear your arm out quick.

I leave the CZ21 in 0 (no disc) and never use the pinpoint button. With the fast recovery speed it's an easy machine to pinpoint with without using the pinpoint feature.

I was looking at the anderson's last night
http://andersondetectorshafts.com/products/carbon-fiber-detector-shafts/fisher/

I was trying to figure out which one I would need... 36 inch or 39... How does the shaft allow me to mount underneath... can you post a picture of yours for me? Do I need other parts?

I've never used a CZ21 but the pinpoint should work like all of the other machines. The pinpoint mode only operates for as long as the button is pressed. Release the button and you are back to normal operation.

I've never used a CZ21 but the pinpoint should work like all of the other machines. The pinpoint mode only operates for as long as the button is pressed. Release the button and you are back to normal operation.

Thanks Music nut... that isn't the case for this machine, you press the button and its in pinpoint and then you have to press it again to get out of pinpoint. Learning a lot...

It's funny all the videos and stuff I've watched are great.... but once you get out there.... things seem to change... lol!!!

Congrats on the new pair of detectors. CZ is a great machine and +1 to Crumbles response regarding the GB. Also, if you want FASTER responses, you should probably post the CZ related questions in the beach and water hunting section of the forum. http://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14 In that section, there are lots and lots of folks with that detector and can help you.

Also, I'd encourage you to bring a few test targets to learn the machines tones. A chunky 10k, a thin 14k or 18k, a silver dime, a pull tab, a crumpled up piece of foil, a bobby/hair pin, and (2) pennies - one new zincoln and one old mostly copper.

You can then learn how some targets have similar tones as well as how to disc out unwanted iron (hair pins).

Best of Luck!

Congrats on the new pair of detectors. CZ is a great machine and +1 to Crumbles response regarding the GB. Also, if you want FASTER responses, you should probably post the CZ related questions in the beach and water hunting section of the forum. http://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14 In that section, there are lots and lots of folks with that detector and can help you.

Also, I'd encourage you to bring a few test targets to learn the machines tones. A chunky 10k, a thin 14k or 18k, a silver dime, a pull tab, a crumpled up piece of foil, a bobby/hair pin, and (2) pennies - one new zincoln and one old mostly copper.

You can then learn how some targets have similar tones as well as how to disc out unwanted iron (hair pins).

Best of Luck!

Thanks everyone for the responses... I think the longer shaft with the box on the bottom behind the elbow is a must... I'm going to KellyCO this weekend and I'm going to play with it more to hear the sounds...

There's always the long going debate...CZ21 or Excalibur 2... I've done all the reading and its split... Two strong camps on either side... I'm a short guy so which is ever easier to carry and lighter gets a lot of props from me.... But i think mounting either of them behind the cuff is going to make a big difference....

Which ever I wind up landing on, I plan on doing exactly as what is said above which is to "listen" to what items sound like on the machines so I can get more familiar.

oh and by the way, I looked for a way to move this post but didn't find one, so I left it here as I didn't want to create a duplicate.

Back
Top Bottom