Possible Silver or Platinum Rock

aftershock

Hey all, this is my first post here although I've been reading here a lot recently. I just got pretty serious into the art of metal detecting.

I got a strong reading on my metal detector that I thought was iron so I turned the discrimination up to around an 8 and still got a good reading. The rock was about 6-7 inches under. I used the hydrogen peroxide test for bubbles to eliminate aluminum and it weighs around 2.8 ounces on a digital scale. Also, where my shovel struck the rock it was a bright silver color, but as it sat in the hydrogen peroxide test it turned a greyish color. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

r07chw.jpg

I tried to scar it with a knife and it was fairly easy as someone recommended to try. Which it's probably lead then. What's so funny njal? :?:

I tried to scar it with a knife and it was fairly easy as someone recommended to try. Which it's probably lead then. What's so funny njal? :?:

Oh don't mind me.

Where ya from?

I don't know to much about Platinum so I really can't help you.

Hey aftershock, welcome to the forum. sounds like its probably lead.
I'm also trying to figure out the other two post:hmmm:
Most of the forum members are very helpfull and friendly.
glad your here. HH

I'm close to Lake Murray, SC. I found it off an old Cherokee Indian trail/road bed. Thought it was interesting none-the-less. I did find a pretty big copper cow bell. I live on an old farmstead built sometime in the 1800's as far back as I can trace it. Sadly, none of the Civil War seems to have happened here other than one of the home owners was registered at 18 years of age. When I first dug it out, i thought it may have even been a Native American type object because of the sharp edge.. but after being able to scar it so easily.. I guess not. All projections point to it being lead sadly.

Hey aftershock, welcome to the forum. sounds like its probably lead.
I'm also trying to figure out the other two post:hmmm:
Most of the forum members are very helpfull and friendly.
glad your here. HH

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be posting here a lot more often.

I'm close to Lake Murray, SC. I found it off an old Cherokee Indian trail/road bed. Thought it was interesting none-the-less. I did find a pretty big copper cow bell. I live on an old farmstead built sometime in the 1800's as far back as I can trace it. Sadly, none of the Civil War seems to have happened here other than one of the home owners was registered at 18 years of age. When I first dug it out, i thought it may have even been a Native American type object because of the sharp edge.. but after being able to scar it so easily.. I guess not. All projections point to it being lead sadly.

Aftershock you could view that as good thing that the Civil War bypassed
your property. Just means that none of those youngins from the CSA and U.S.A lost there lives on your land..

Happy Hunting

Aftershock you could view that as good thing that the Civil War bypassed
your property. Just means that none of those youngins from the CSA and U.S.A lost there lives on your land..

Happy Hunting

Cool. (: & true.

Just tell everyone it's Plutonium for the Delorean sitting in your garage.
Welcome to the forum :waytogo:

Hey guys... to the guys running their mouth acting like hard a$$es... trying to throw their little sarcastic jokes in my thread.... just because grandma or grandpa bought you a minelab for christmas.. doesn't mean you're a pro at metal detecting. I just started.. I posted a picture asking for HELP identifying what it could possibly be.. considering YES I AM NEW.... look in the top right hand corner of this site.. see that ad? This site just lost anymore money from me clicking it and buying from Kelly Co. etc. I post a lot of multiple weather forums.. and other "metal detecting" sites.. and by far haven't come across so many dumb a$$ yankee idiots as here. So have fun, and ps.. if you have to put "friendly" in front of your metal detecting forum logo, there's obviously a problem.

Calm down tater, turn the other cheek ;)

Hello from the upstate :wave:

hey i'm kevin, new here as well. would a jeweler be able to help ID this metal? looks like a find to me

:lol::lol: Iron sharpens Iron, so stick around and maybe rub off a few burrs.
Most of the people here are super nice and helpful, then there are some that like to mess with the greenhorns, because we all seem to make similar mistakes, and ask similar questions etc. but it turns out that the old tools bark is worse than their bite, than of course their is a small percentage that are always grumpy, but I wouldn't know if this forum has anyone like that:roll:, welcome from WV and OH.

And that piece looks a little like my first pictures, mine ended up being
"Genuine West Virginia silver nugget" (melted beer cans) and I found an ancient arrow head very close to it, looked like a few generations used the same place for campfires.

Back
Top Bottom