45-70 headstamp

wally76

Can any bullet experts give me some info on this round. My uncle told me its a 45-70, but ive googled the headstamp and havent had any luck. Is it old? The stamp is R 5 84 F

Attachments

• IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4537.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,632
  • IMG_4538.JPG
    IMG_4538.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,736
It could also be .43Spanish, or one of the similar 11mm rounds. Actual measurements are the only way to tell for sure, unless you find specific reference to the headstamp.

I havent had any luck with a referance to the headstamp.

Attachments

• IMG_4539.JPG
    IMG_4539.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,348
  • IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,313
I don't know about the caliber but your headstamp is a very early Frankford Arsenal headstamp. The numbers are the dates of manufacture. 5 84 will be May 1884.

Here is a link to another one that is similar.

http://www.acwbullets.com/Y835.htm

Nice find!
Doug

Last edited:
I don't know about the caliber but your headstamp is a very early Frankfrod Arsenal headstamp. The numbers are the dates of manufacture. 5 84 will be May 1884.

Here is a link to another one that is similar.

http://www.acwbullets.com/Y835.htm

Nice find!
Doug

Big thanks turtlefoot. I should have put a question mark after 45-70 because it was my uncles guess that thats what it was. So i guess it is old, thanks again.

Here is a great pic of an original box that explains the headstamp. It tells you what each letter and number stand for.

Doug

picture.php

What is the exact length of a case? If it's 53mm then it is likely a 45-70, but there are couple other possibilities. Also the rim diameter would be useful..sorry but I don't consider tape measure accurate in these cases ;)

Voriax

45-70 rounds

I was given about 40 or more of these same rounds, I was searching and found this forum. The R & F are the same but the dates are different. They do measure 53mm long. And are the exact measurements of my modern 45-70's. But mine are corroded and the primer has been used but the lead is still in the bullet. I thought that was kind of strange. Everyone is like that. Kind of like a misfire where the primer is struck but doesn't go off.
Does anybody know anything about these?
I was glad to find this forum with this topic.

Looks about like 45-70, got a box of live rounds some place. There was also a 45-90, not sure about the difference. My dad had the rifle, and it kicked like a mule. The rife got stolen, but I saved a box. Think I'm missing one though. Have to dig through some boxes, but will post some pictures in a day or two.

I was given about 40 or more of these same rounds, I was searching and found this forum. The R & F are the same but the dates are different. They do measure 53mm long. And are the exact measurements of my modern 45-70's. But mine are corroded and the primer has been used but the lead is still in the bullet. I thought that was kind of strange. Everyone is like that. Kind of like a misfire where the primer is struck but doesn't go off.

That's a strange one! I would love to see some pics of the ones that you have. The .45-70 is one of my favorite "historic" rifle rounds. Welcome to the forum by the way. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Doug

A light strike can rupture the anvil inside the primer w/o detonating, and the round becomes useless at that point. The original 1873 Trapdoor Springfields were notorious for it. The Allen conversion took care of the problem.

A light strike can rupture the anvil inside the primer w/o detonating, and the round becomes useless at that point. The original 1873 Trapdoor Springfields were notorious for it. The Allen conversion took care of the problem.

Thanks for the info Longhair. I have that info in my files now. I appreciate it.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom