Help!! with Bandido II uMax...

sandnut

I bought a Bandido II uMax a few days ago and went out with it today. Before I went out I thought this is going to be so nice it should work just as my Silver uMax, boy was I wrong. I turned the Bandido II on and ground balanced it and turned it on disc at about 3.5 ,which I thought would be about what I set my silver on. The first sweep I got a signal I dug it and found out it was a very very small piece of metal. I was thinking what the heck is going on here. I then put the Bandido II on all metal and was getting this strange sound like a elongated boing kind of sound every time I went over those small pieces of metal that were all over the beach everywhere. SO I found out fast the Bandido II is not like my Silver at all. What I did end up doing is checking every signal that I got in all metal with disc. I can tell it is going to take me time to learn this machine. Anybody have some advice that I can use to seed up the learning process for me?? No I am not getting rid of it I was digging bread ties at around 6". It should find small gold chains the same way, that is after I figure it out some more... Thanks everyone for the help.......

If its working correctly that is a great detector. You do have to get used to it though and learn what its telling you. It takes a while and some patience but you can get really good at deciphering all the sounds it makes. Make sure you ground balance it properly and recheck it now and then.

It is meant to be hunted with in disc mode. All metal is for pinpointing and special circumstances where you want to hear everything.

When you ground balance are you getting a small hum of the same volume/pitch when you pump the coil up and down over clean ground?

This is how to GB a Tesoro http://youtu.be/L10NQcT7YDo But don't start off in 10 sensitivity, just go about 5-7. Remember that if you change sensitivity while hunting, you need to re-GB or you will get falsing or bad depth.

Dang! I miss the fun I had with my old Bandido II uMax.

I used to hunt alongside a friend who had an E-trac, and could match him in finds every time! Don't give up on that Tesoro!

It is meant to be hunted with in disc mode. All metal is for pinpointing and special circumstances where you want to hear everything.

When you ground balance are you getting a small hum of the same volume/pitch when you pump the coil up and down over clean ground?

This is how to GB a Tesoro http://youtu.be/L10NQcT7YDo But don't start off in 10 sensitivity, just go about 5-7. Remember that if you change sensitivity while hunting, you need to re-GB or you will get falsing or bad depth.

Thank you Milhaus I never would have known about the gb having to be re-tuned when the sensitivity is turned up or down. That was one of my problems then. Thank you again.:clapping:

Dang! I miss the fun I had with my old Bandido II uMax.

I used to hunt alongside a friend who had an E-trac, and could match him in finds every time! Don't give up on that Tesoro!

I wont give up Curbdog. Just a matter of time to learn what it telling me and how to use it also . Thanks

You bet, this it why a lot of people install a rubber washer under the knobs to avoid accidentally turning them during use. My Bandido II was a joy to use, I would go over the same ground I hunted with my E-Trac and pull wheats. I still feel like a jerk for selling it. Good luck!

According to one of the Top guys with Tesoro it is one of the best Tesoro detectors built. Matter of fact it is the detector the outlaw is born from. It is a finicky unit for sure but is a great machine ,I like you got very frustrated at first using it but after a time it started to talk to me and I was doing very well with it . Then came along my AT Pro and I started using it . now the other day I grabbed the BII and took it for a walk and after I got the ground balance set just a tad + I was off and running , came home with well over 12 dollars in clad and a nice silver ring with a Jade stone in it . I owned two of them and ended up selling one and kept the other . Guess I will hold onto it for awhile at least til I see the new Tesoro unit coming out . :detector:

Stick with it

I'd stick with it... My Bii uMaX is easily my favorite! Especially once you get used to it... I ended up putting my Clean sweep coil on this machine and have not looked back since... it rocks!!!! Once you are used to it etc... I sometimes will hunt with it in All Metal Auto mode... and it pretty much leaves nothing behind... heck, even in Min Disc... it amazes me, seriously, one fun and powerful machine... it has found me a number of gold and silver items, its my favorite so far.

My normal way to hunt with it is, MIN DISC... so, DISC knob all the way to the left... practice the swing speed.... makes a difference. Also, on mine... the quieter/smaller hits... are usually quarters at around 5 or inches.... quarters hit "softer" than pennies and dimes. So, dig those small hits. I get he hit, and walk it backwards to pinpoint off the tip (with CSC coil). Its fast and easy... and allows you to quickly get a feel for object size... you will see... it will, like other Tesoros, talk to you.... give it some time.

With normal coil, pinpoints easy in the center... don't really have to use the ALL METAL, but can to add to the fun, its really accurate. Especially if you use the AM Norm.... but I mostly will use AM Auto...

Again, a great little machine, don't think I'll ever get rid of mine. And, again, if you can, add that cleansweep.... its awesome!

Good luck!

Ron

I bought a Bandido II uMax a few days ago and went out with it today. Before I went out I thought this is going to be so nice it should work just as my Silver uMax, boy was I wrong. I turned the Bandido II on and ground balanced it and turned it on disc at about 3.5 ,which I thought would be about what I set my silver on. The first sweep I got a signal I dug it and found out it was a very very small piece of metal. I was thinking what the heck is going on here. I then put the Bandido II on all metal and was getting this strange sound like a elongated boing kind of sound every time I went over those small pieces of metal that were all over the beach everywhere. SO I found out fast the Bandido II is not like my Silver at all. What I did end up doing is checking every signal that I got in all metal with disc. I can tell it is going to take me time to learn this machine. Anybody have some advice that I can use to seed up the learning process for me?? No I am not getting rid of it I was digging bread ties at around 6". It should find small gold chains the same way, that is after I figure it out some more... Thanks everyone for the help.......

I've dealt with this using Tesoro's here on the beach. You just can't hunt that close to the water. If those bits of metal are wet, they sound off. If dry the detector doesn't have any trouble with them. It isn't a ground balance issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom