Is silver REALLY a good investment for a SHTF scenario?

Beyonder123

So hear me out. I'm no professional when it comes to the subject, and while I do hoard silver in small amounts; I have never hoarded close to the amount that some people do.

There are two types of silver investors. The first being long term investors. People who buy silver (and gold) in order to reap the benefits later on. Then there are the SHTF investor's. People who believe that the fall of the government or a great recession will cause money to become worthless and gold and silver will be the only things of value. Today I want to focus on the later.

Let's give an example. Imagine a man hoards silver for many years. Than after he has accumulated a large amount, America goes to nuclear war. Living in America becomes a lot harder. And complete destruction of many states leaves a monetary deficit. The government isnt making enough money; and starts taking what it wants. People stop keeping trust in the value of the dollar and the economy collapses.

Of course this example is a little exaggerated but no matter how you think the government will collapse it all leads back to the same question: what is considered valuable? People who believe in the SHTF scenario will say that it's gold and silver. But is that really the case? I did a bit of research and I couldn't find any evidence of gold and silver being the main form of money in any civilization that collapsed. I think that it would be good s and services that would be most valuable in a post apocalyptic world.

However I could be very wrong, and of course silver is not a bad investment. It's a lot better than putting your money in a bank and letting it gain interest. And in any recession you would be better off than anyone else. But try to change my mind. I would happily listen to the other side of the story.

In a post apocalyptic world , silver and gold wont be worth anything. In that situation food , ammunition , alcohol , cigarettes , etc will become the new economy. Those things will become very hard to get but desired by many , if you had a stockpile of them you would be a very wealthy person.

:lol:
In a post apocalyptic world , silver and gold wont be worth anything. In that situation food , ammunition , alcohol , cigarettes , etc will become the new economy. Those things will become very hard to get but desired by many , if you had a stockpile of them you would be a very wealthy person.

I cant seem keep a load of alcohol or tobacco sitting around here though....a few coins sure, I cant drink or smoke up silver coins!:laughing: No ammo here, I'm anti firearms of any sort..Wrist Rocket and marbles kinda guy...

And don’t ever plan on going to sleep if you have hoards of stuff. People will take by force what they have to and at that point someone becomes a target of the have nots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol:

I cant seem keep a load of alcohol or tobacco sitting around here though....a few coins sure, I cant drink or smoke up silver coins!:laughing: No ammo here, I'm anti firearms of any sort..Wrist Rocket and marbles kinda guy...

Me to. No guns and ammo here. None. Nope. Zero.

We have a room in the basement stocked with a few snacks and 50 cans of beans in case of a nucalure explosion. Should hold us for at least a couple weeks so we should be set. Ya cant eat gold! :lol:

We have a room in the basement stocked with a few snacks and 50 cans of beans in case of a nucalure explosion. Should hold us for at least a couple weeks so we should be set. Ya cant eat gold! :lol:

nucalure [emoji23]

Silver IS NOT a good investment, ask the guys that paid over $40 an ounce. At best it is a gamble that could pay off. A good investment will earn money without having to sell the principle. The only financial experts who recommend silver and gold, sell silver and gold. I am not an expert, but I have sat in their offices. PMs do hold value, an ounce of gold buys about the same amount of most commodities today as it did a 1000 years ago, but the only way to make money is to sell it, and then your left with nothing. RICH people live off of the payments from investments. Gold and silver does not pay dividends.

Some of the value of silver and gold is from their use in electronics, in a true SHTF situation that would be gone. some of the value is jewelry and that would be gone as well. I just don't see any use for PMs during a zombie apocalypse. After things start to get back to normal and trade resumes there could be some value, but in the short term food, water, and fuel would be worth their weight in gold.

iu

In a true post apocalyptic scenario as you described, nothing would have value at all...even food wouldn't, as what would someone trade you for it? Nothing would have the value of food when there was no way to replenish it.

In a more realistic scenario though, precious metals would still retain their intrinsic value, far more than paper money would, as the paper money would be worthless. Look at Venezuela....their paper money is worthless...precious metals are being traded for food.

While I don't do it myself, the best thing to do would be to stockpile food, precious metals, as well as guns and ammo. As has been the case throughout history, the "have nots" will always try to take from the "haves" (heck, we even see that in a booming economy...greed is strong in humans...if someone has more than someone else, the first someone wants what the second someone has, and will do everything in their power to get it.
That's why communism won't ever work on a scale larger than perhaps 3 people)

So while I generally don't subscribe to the "post apocalyptic" "zombie apocalypse " or really "TSHTF" scenarios.....i pause and watch the news of the inner cities pre "TSHTF" and im thinking ok maybe i can see it afterall. IMOif your not armed, someone will take what you have from you and you won't have to worry about saving anything.

Too many people thinking they can just have what's your now, let alone when the SHTF.

Diversify your investments

Attachments

• vmkPcqo.jpg
    vmkPcqo.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 262
The Bummer with SHTF scenarios, theres NO END to what you Need! Once a guy starts down that path, it can be all consuming...The good thing is a lot of people learned some Old Timey skills since this topic became a popular concern since 2008 or so...

...Skills carried in your head are vastly superior to any kind of gear carried on your back...

So a fellow applies Occams Razor thought processes due to all the various scenarios....If everything goes to hell in a handbasket, multiple scenarios gamed out, what exactly does a guy NEED? Mine are a cigarette lighter, a machete, and my Detector...Everything else is procurable along the way....

We detectorists can and do find all sorts of important stuff!..lighters, knives, silver/gold coins, clothes, shoes, guns, whatnot...we know how to scavenge and avoid people, we practice daily...

The Bummer with SHTF scenarios, theres NO END to what you Need! Once a guy starts down that path, it can be all consuming...The good thing is a lot of people learned some Old Timey skills since this topic became a popular concern since 2008 or so...

...Skills carried in your head are vastly superior to any kind of gear carried on your back...

So a fellow applies Occams Razor thought processes due to all the various scenarios....If everything goes to hell in a handbasket, multiple scenarios gamed out, what exactly does a guy NEED? Mine are a cigarette lighter, a machete, and my Detector...Everything else is procurable along the way....

We detectorists can and do find all sorts of important stuff!..lighters, knives, silver/gold coins, clothes, shoes, guns, whatnot...we know how to scavenge and avoid people, we practice daily...

You'd also need a screwdriver to pop coins out :) Or would you use the machete for that?

You'd also need a screwdriver to pop coins out :) Or would you use the machete for that?

I'd use the machete to cut a hole in the side of somebodies abandoned home!...Right through the vinyl siding and OSB and drywall like a fart through a mitten! 30 seconds tops! Walk out into the garage, and get myself a screwdriver, a blue tarp, clothes, take the AA's out of the smoke alarms and garage door sensors for to fuel my detector, ...See? I've put a tremendous amount of thought into this!:laughing:.Plus Zombies...

All I NEED is a pot for boiling water, lighter, decent size knife, detector, rechargeable batteries and solar charger. I have all the knowledge and skills to survive with pretty much only a knife(at least till winter hits). If given the choice of extras I would go for heavy wool blanket, a backpack, axe, and lastly a gun.

A guy could trade a Bic lighter pretty much bigly...depending on the weather and circumstances, a guy could get big trade for a Bic Lighter in TSHTF apocalypse! ...so thats something to think about...go buy a coupla dozen for under $20...

Hell, buy a case of 144 gross and eventually rule the World! "What manner of man are ye to summon up fire without flint or tinder?" A wizard? :laughing:

The richest man who ever lived...Mansa Musa, 14th century king from Mali....gold coins out the wazoo, but HE didnt have a Bic Lighter! For ultimate survival, A guy needs to be able to make fire on this inhospitable Planet!..

In the right circumstances, A freezing guy will give you everything he has, all their gold and silver, guns and ammo, if you can make them a fire...in this SHTF light, a old smoking homeless bum with a Bic Lighter would own Warren Buffett or Bill Gates or that Zuckerberg kid........

Back
Top Bottom