Has anyone brought their detector in carry on?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
I've seen on the interwebs both sides of it. That no, you can't bring it because the rods are "clubs", and yes, break it down and it's no problem.

What has your experience been, and at what airports?

I have broken down my Excalibur and sent the shaft in a PVC pipe. I carried the coil, battery and controls on my carry-on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen on the interwebs both sides of it. That no, you can't bring it because the rods are "clubs", and yes, break it down and it's no problem.

I broke my AT Pro down into my carry on from SEA to SGU and back this past February, and it made it no problem. All my other gear fit in as well, except my digmaster and my gravedigger shovel, obviously.

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

true...the digger would have to be checked...although I'll likely just buy a new "cheap" one at Menard's or some such if I travel next. Next travel plan is to drive to Michigan next week. I'll get to detect an undetected (for the past 40 years at least, as that's how long it's been in the family) beach on Lake Michigan. The property used to be a religious retreat, and my brother in law's father lost a ring in the yard (he thinks) so I'll try to find that as well.

I'm driving, so no worries about checking it, but soon I'll be going to PA for work, so might want to take my detector with me.

I have done both ways, but since all my current airline travel is to beachy places, I always store it in a checked bag along with my travel scoop.

Sadly, there is no "always" answer to carrying-on. It falls completely to the individual TSA screener who looks at your stuff. I've had nail clippers confiscated because "they could be used as a weapon". There is no common sense to airport security and what is perfectly fine yesterday may be verbotten today and again fine tomorrow.

I contacted TSA to see what I could take. I made a 5 inch PVC tube to carry two Excalibur shafts and my scoop handle. All together my friend and I had 4 shafts and two handles for our stealth scoops. We carried the scoops in a dive bag. The coil control and battery pack we carried in our carry-on bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been able to break down my detector to fit in a backpack and took it on the airplane at DFW and LAX. No issues. The rods, digger, and pinpointer, and coils went in the checked bag. Also any finds I made always went in the checked bag in my pouch. I was able to put my backpack under the seat in front of me instead of the overhead. Hope this helps

GL & HH
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had no issues with my ETP (coil, rods, whole shebang) in carry-on just last month. Would never try my luck with a digger though, I ordered ahead for one for store pickup at my destination, then left it as a slightly used gift.

I've taken the XP Deus remote, coil and backphones in a backpack onto the planes before no problem. You can't check in any lithium batteries.

No problems with the CTX, Explorer, Carrot and NOX....BUT, I always carry the batteries separate and bring a manual to explain what the device is.

I've been through the following:
FL - Jacksonville, Orlando, Daytona, Tampa and Miami
TX - Houston, Dallas, Midland
Nassau Bahamas
St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
Lisbon Portugal
Barcelona Spain
Palermo Sicily
Rome Italy

Almost forgot ...Nassau customs agents required me to leave a $250 deposit on the basis that if I sold the machine, they wanted to ensure they received tax for it. I left a cash deposit and received a receipt. As my vacation ended and I returned to the airport, I brought my receipt and detector to show I had not sold it. Then they returned my cash deposit. In hindsight, I think this would have been avoided if it was in my packed luggage, but I had it in my carry on bag.

The only problem I ever had was when a TSA agent dug into my carryon and found the GPP.... Pretty sure he thought it was a sex toy.:shock:

Tulsa to Sanford FL with no problems. Took the Impact in the soft side carry case and the TSA gave it the once over with explosive residue swabs.

Back
Top Bottom