Is silver REALLY a good investment for a SHTF scenario?

Question is where you gonna hide from the thousands of zombies, do you own a baseball bat???? :lol:

Zombies? You just blend in with them and go about your daily routine unnoticed! Ya know, like we do nowadays!...SHTF Zombie apocalypse, just a few minor personal hygiene adjustments and no problem!...Lots of Zombies afoot nowadays, so a guy gets plenty of practice...just evade and avoid, stumble around like a dummy, blend into the crowd!...Like at Church or Work or Walmart!!..:laughing:.

Zombies will be the least of our worries!..its the Damn Weather that always gets a guy...or swarms of invading illegal Aliens! Like on the documentary Battleship?! So yeah...considering all the SHTF scenarios, standard Zombies are no problem...in fact, easiest...unless they are the FAST Zombies, like on Dawn of the Dead...or that one movie with Brad Pitt in it? Otr that one with Will Smith? Or standard students at a College campus?...yeah..OK..those kinds of Zombies could be big trouble, and where a baseball bat could come in handy....

Nobody brought up the Yellowstone caldera or Planet killing asteroids yet? Nibiru? Clade7 Plum Island engineered '7 monkeys' or Capt Trips global pandemic?

Hey!...get with the frigging program! Pay attention! Theres more to Life than just going out hunting for pennies! Keep a lighter in your pocket...damn dummies...no wonder Humans go extinct! Lack of planning!... this message approved by the Incans and Aztecs...,

Last edited:
While he talks mostly about gold instead of silver, read some of FerFal's blogs from his life in Venezuela during their economic race to the bottom. Gold definitely had a place there.

I say buy it or not- people's risk and investment tastes vary. I'll never make fun of anyone for preparing for the future so long as theres one scenario where their preparations would be useful. Gaining a monetary return isn't always the ultimate goal. Sometimes sleeping well at night is the objective.

I would like to add that calling the post apocalyptic scum 'Zombies' originated when it was not allowed to call them by their correct scientific or popular name. It a euphemism in case you didn't know, folks.

When society unravels and becomes a lawless place, the most valuable things will be:

Guns/Ammo/optics
Bows/Arrows
Fishing line/hooks
Sharp knives
Things that produce light
Batteries
Solar battery chargers
Night vision devices
Water filtration devices
energy bars/portable high protein foods
waterproof outerwear
A good backpack
warm clothing
Good, warm, protective boots
Antibiotics
Pain Relievers
Things that start fire
A good hiding place

And the most valuable things of all - survival knowledge or books on survival knowledge - what is edible, how to treat injuries, how to set traps, etc.

The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.
[walking outside]
And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[dog growls]
I don't need my dog.

And don’t ever plan on going to sleep if you have hoards of stuff. People will take by force what they have to and at that point someone becomes a target of the have nots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep , thats the real life " zombie apocalypse ". The zombies are the hordes roving from place to place killing and stealing.

But there a few ways to squirrel supplies away safely and anonimously , and not all in one place. People can take what you have in the house.....if they know about it , but if you have a number of sealed tubes full of stuff buried around the countryside then you are good.

While he talks mostly about gold instead of silver, read some of FerFal's blogs from his life in Venezuela during their economic race to the bottom. Gold definitely had a place there.

Sometimes sleeping well at night is the objective.

Agreed! Definitely! Sleeping well at night and having a good cup of coffee and a decent Bm in the Morning are Lifes simple pleasures! Taking a squirt off the back deck on the pacysandras, or out on the pre dawn beach...

For sleeping well at night, I got myself an attentive and mean little dog, a 'My Pillow', and a .38 +p Charter Arms wheelie, a hickory axe handle, and I drink two 24oz Coors Lights and pop a 500mg Flexaril around Judge Judy time after Hannity...I sleep like a baby and wake up at 4:30am to take a squirt, and go out detecting!...Bright as a bunny and hopping to go! Its a regimen that works for me!...

Full disclosure: in lieu of hickory, ash axe handles are available and will suffice...

Silver IS NOT a good investment, ask the guys that paid over $40 an ounce. At best it is a gamble that could pay off. A good investment will earn money without having to sell the principle. The only financial experts who recommend silver and gold, sell silver and gold. I am not an expert, but I have sat in their offices. PMs do hold value, an ounce of gold buys about the same amount of most commodities today as it did a 1000 years ago, but the only way to make money is to sell it, and then your left with nothing. RICH people live off of the payments from investments. Gold and silver does not pay dividends.

Some of the value of silver and gold is from their use in electronics, in a true SHTF situation that would be gone. some of the value is jewelry and that would be gone as well. I just don't see any use for PMs during a zombie apocalypse. After things start to get back to normal and trade resumes there could be some value, but in the short term food, water, and fuel would be worth their weight in gold.

For those who bought in at $40 per ounce they will either lose money or have to wait a long time to make a profit or even get their money back. On the other hand for those who bought in back in 2000 or a few years later when silver was $5 an ounce it was a good investment. You can't make a judgement either way based on only one time span.

The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.
[walking outside]
And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[dog growls]
I don't need my dog.

:laughing::laughing: WTH you need the ashtray for? To throw at the dog? I dont get it? Ashtray? Beer coozie for sure, Dale Earnhardt ball hat of course, but not an ashtray?...You can easily make one out of an empty beer can with no modifications required at all! You certainly aint gonna last very long in the SHTF!...

Is it like a magnifying glass ashtray where a guy could use it to start a fire or pull out a splinter? Or one of those old tyme porcelain Waffle House ones? Oh yeah..doubles as a coffee cup?

Agreed on the remote control!..mine takes AA batts! Just like my detector! Keeping it Simple! One Stupid at a time!:laughing::laughing:

One things for sure, somethings gonna kill us someday...no matter how hard a guy plans and prepares to survive...I figure for me it will be from an accidental self inflicted "Dutch Oven" mustard gas asphyxiation, or trying to break Randy Marshes 7+ Kouric Loaf pitching World record...Or a shark, or a bear, or some damn thing...

I'd like to hope and think I'll be brave about it, save a whole busload of kids from a fire or something.....but knowing me, I'll probably just slip away quietly..through the ice, with those damned cheap Walmart Proline waders pulling me under...:laughing:

Last edited:
In a SHTF situation it would be best to have an umbrella , raincoat and a pair of galoshes so you can get to the business of unplugging the fan .Then it would behoove you to have a lot of cleaning supplies and air freshener .Situation solved.:D

This is a subject that I have actually given some thought. Initially, goods such as food, gas, medication, coffee, guns, ammo, booze and cigarettes will be the most valuable. Eventually, as these items become scarce and people adapt to their new, forced lifestyle, skills will become much more valuable. At this time, silver and gold will also become valuable, for much of the same reason they ever became valuable in the first place-a convenient medium of trade. Here is a post SHTF scenario that illustrates my thoughts.

You need a gallon of gasoline and have a bushel of tomatoes you would be willing to trade. A guy down the street has gas, but he is not interested in trading for tomatoes, he would like a bottle of vodka. You know a guy wanting to trade vodka but he also does not want tomatoes but his wife would like some apples to make pies. So, you have to find someone who will trade you apples for tomatoes. You then trade the apples for the bottle of vodka and take that to the guy with the gallon of gasoline.

As the economy starts to re-establish itself people will find that for convenience they need a standard medium of exchange that will be acceptable to everyone. Gold and Silver seem perfect for this and for many of the same reasons they became valuable in the first place, they are somewhat rare and have a variety of uses that make them desirable.

So, in the above scenario, the guy with the gas would just say he wants 1 ounce of silver or 1 gram of gold for his gas. You in turn sell your tomatoes for your given price in gold or silver and then purchase the gasoline. Skills will also obtain a monetary value and, as now, your goods and services can be purchased with the accepted medium of exchange.

So, that's my thoughts on the subject and it seems to me that the best solution might be to stockpile both trade goods and precious metals. Acquiring skills that would be valuable in a post SHTF environment would also be prudent.

I have some silver coins just because they are not making them any more. I keep my firearms and ammo just because. I have owned firearms most of my life and will continue to do so until such time as it becomes time to occupy that small plot of land by that old country church.

:lol:

I cant seem keep a load of alcohol or tobacco sitting around here though....a few coins sure, I cant drink or smoke up silver coins!:laughing: No ammo here, I'm anti firearms of any sort..Wrist Rocket and marbles kinda guy...

:laughing::laughing:, Of course, down here in the Deep South they start learning firearms rather early. Not "newborn" early, but certainly by the time diapers are no longer required. :D. They tend to embrace the "An armed society is a polite society" approach. That's why Southerners are so nice and sweet and hospitable. LOL:lol: And we generally make our own libations, stock ammunition, hunt, farm, trap, ride, and know how to operate a backhoe...should yankees (or those Clemson people) visit and the need arises. LOLOL.

If that day ever comes the things of real value will be seeds and bullets.

In a theoretical SHTF scenario, Being a good Cook would be of some importance I would think...There will be no shortage of wandering Meat on the Hoof, but a guy who has the skills of turning it into something tasty and digestible?

A guy should consider History and learn all about the various methods of preparing and procuring long pig for survival.....Mexican food is fast and easy, simple to catch and plentiful in season.....

Chinese of course, but a guy has to be ready 1/2hr later to supply some after dinner snacks to a potentially hungry again and surly clientele...Irish Stew is a steady and substantial high caloric favorite, cant go wrong there...Eskimo pies for dessert if you can get them...which will be hard...

Although stringy, Italian is not bad either!...with a side of farva beans and a nice chianti to wash down the 'Whassamadderyou?' aftertaste...Greek is out of the question!...just too hairy and dirty...too much trouble....

Chicago 'Hot Dogs' for the Midwesterners, Caribbean Jerked Chicken, Wisconsin Cheese Heads, Icelandic salad? All sorts of different and alternate skills and seasonings a guy will need to know how to prepare..Like Indian food for example? Are we talking native American 'Woowoo' or 'How May I help you' Internet? Its not as simple as it sounds..a guy should get busy and practice!:laughing::laughing:

See?

In a theoretical SHTF scenario, Being a good Cook would be of some importance I would think...There will be no shortage of wandering Meat on the Hoof, but a guy who has the skills of turning it into something tasty and digestible?

A guy should consider History and learn all about the various methods of preparing and procuring long pig for survival.....Mexican food is fast and easy, simple to catch and plentiful in season.....

Chinese of course, but a guy has to be ready 1/2hr later to supply some after dinner snacks to a potentially hungry again and surly clientele...Irish Stew is a steady and substantial high caloric favorite, cant go wrong there...Eskimo pies for dessert if you can get them...which will be hard...

Although stringy, Italian is not bad either!...with a side of farva beans and a nice chianti to wash down the 'Whassamadderyou?' aftertaste...Greek is out of the question!...just too hairy and dirty...too much trouble....

Chicago 'Hot Dogs' for the Midwesterners, Caribbean Jerked Chicken, Wisconsin Cheese Heads, Icelandic salad? All sorts of different and alternate skills and seasonings a guy will need to know how to prepare..Like Indian food for example? Are we talking native American 'Woowoo' or 'How May I help you' Internet? Its not as simple as it sounds..a guy should get busy and practice!:laughing::laughing:

See?

I have mine post SHTF skills all planned out. I'm going to be a piano player in cat house :D:laughing::D

If the SHTF because of an electromagnetic pulse, me and my 1981 Vespa Special 50 are going to be riding circles around all the bicyclists.

Back
Top Bottom