Equinox 800 - how many ways to screw it up?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I find myself re-reading Clive Clynick's first book on the Equinox 800. Why?
Because when I first got my 800 2 years ago, I was not even remotely ready to use a sophisticated and hot machine like the 800.

Thus a lot of stuff in Clive's books makes more sense to me now that I have a couple of years experience with the 800 under my belt.

On the 800 you have eight modes to select from. Three different sets of tones to choose from. 2,5 and 50. You discrim out 40 notches on the display. You have a recovery speed from 1-8, iron balance #1 (FE) of nine settings, #2(FE2) of nine settings, a multi-frequency setting and five other fix settings, 5,10,15,20,40. You can hunt in the all metal mode or discrim mode and 25 increments of sensitivity. And then don't forget noise cancel and ground balance. Either one of those out of wack along with a higher sensitivity setting will result is a detector so noisy you would be extremely lucky to find a silver dollar one inch below the sand.

So the possible combinations of all these settings on the 80 is huge. You have a huge opportunity to really screw up settings and only a few custom settings to get it right for your hunt site.

So the answer for newbies is just pick the best of the eight hunting modes, noise cancel, ground balance, set the sensitivity and hunt.

The Minelab engineers have done an excellent job of going through all those huge number of possible setting to give you the best combination for the average type of hunt sites.

Why? Because they are the engineers and they wanted to design a very hot and sophisticated detector for the experienced users and a simple turn on and go detector for the newbies.

Believe it or not the engineers succeeded in what they were trying to accomplish. But woe be to the detectorists who starts screwing around with the settings without understanding what they are doing.

My advice to newbies buy a Simplex or Vanquish 540 instead of jumping into the Equinox 800.

Pull it out and assemble. Charge and turn on. Park 1 and ground balance and start finding coins.

After using for some time though I changed Park 1 to the coin program in Andy’s book. It works very well in our soil to find clad. I’ve nearly quit digging nails and that’s a real plus. [emoji1]

The 800 is a very good, highly capable detector that is likely limited by me, the operator.

The nice thing about it is if you mess with settings and it’s got you confused just hold power button til it resets and you’re back at square 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry maxxkatt, I know from experience that there are a lot of things to remember on the Nox 600 and 800. There are 50 discrimination segments and 1,2,5 or 50 preset tone options.There is also the awesome feature that every VLF metal detector should have, (not just Minelab) and that is the very convenient horseshoe button which is probably the first thing that I will wear out on my Nox 600 and 800.

Jeff

There is also the awesome feature that every VLF metal detector should have, (not just Minelab) and that is the very convenient horseshoe button which is probably the first thing that I will wear out on my Nox 600 and 800.

Jeff

Interesting...I haven't used my horseshoe button yet (only owned my 800 for a bit over a month now). I don't understand using it a lot though...if I did, what would the purpose of having a discriminating detector be?

Jeff - I was not and am not criticizing the 800. Only warning the newbies to be careful if tempted to go beyond the default settings on a hunt. The 800 is so easy to detune by messing with the settings when you don't know what you are doing.

Jeff - I was not and am not criticizing the 800. Only warning the newbies to be careful if tempted to go beyond the default settings on a hunt. The 800 is so easy to detune by messing with the settings when you don't know what you are doing.

Hi Maxxkatt,
I understand your post and I know you were not be critical. It is totally okay with me if you are critical of the Equinox. It isn't perfect by any means. I was apologizing for correcting your post about the number of discrimination segments and tone choices.

For someone new to the Equinox like a previous poster, using the horseshoe button instantaneously accepts all discrimination segments so you can investigate a target for the presence or lack of iron. Instead of having to change modes, turn knobs or go through a lot of hoops, you can go from silent non-ferrous target search to hearing all of the iron with a quick press of the horseshoe button.

I have my Park2 set up in 5 tones with tone pitch and volumes per segment adjusted to suit me. My F2 iron bias is set to zero which is the stock setting in Park2. Recovery is sitting on 6 which I think is the stock setting in Park2. I seldom dig nails and my horseshoe button is always engaged. I seldom turn the sensitivity above 20, and only turn it down when EMI is bad.

Unless your strictly hunting silver or modern coins I would not discriminate anything out. With the compressed V.I.D the Equinox has I think you are messing up discriminating anything out.

I haven't used my horseshoe button yet (only owned my 800 for a bit over a month now). I don't understand using it a lot though...if I did, what would the purpose of having a discriminating detector be?

When you're detecting with iron discrimination enabled, sometimes you will come across signals that are in your target VDI range, but they don't sound "solid" or "crisp". The target may be an iron object that makes the detector produce higher than normal ("false") signals. By selecting the horseshoe, thereby disabling iron discrimination, you can determine iron is present if the detector produces that low grunt. Then you decide whether to dig. That decision may be influenced by the site you're hunting or the type of target you're seeking. If no iron sound is produced, then it's a definite dig.

Relic hunters often disable discrimination in order to find areas where there may have been an old structure. e.g. You're hunting a large field and you suspect there was once a home site somewhere in the field.

Back
Top Bottom