Anyone else hunting with the Nox 15 inch coil?

ghound

Elite Member
I've used quite a few 12inch plus coils, and this Nox 15 has to be the most sensitive I've used to small targets, big thumbs up ML

Attachments

• 20200526_195211_copy_851x1843.jpg
    20200526_195211_copy_851x1843.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 741
I've been curious about the depth increase. From the tests I've seen online looks like 1-3" depending on the object though I've only watched a few. Just hate that its so much money.

I am running a NEL Attack on my ATP. I love it. Even though their own website says items should be over a gram to find, I seem to be finding the tiniest buttons lately at 8" sometimes more. I've definitely been finding small targets in areas I've searched before with the standard coil. And for searching in the woods, the larger coil definitely helps me feel like I am really covering my areas.

I've been curious about the depth increase. From the tests I've seen online looks like 1-3" depending on the object though I've only watched a few. Just hate that its so much money.

Remember the Minelab 6”11”15” coils are DD.
And from front to back you actually have less than the total coil size.
So maximum depth is gonna be dead center. And at that point the detector puts the same signal to all three coils so the depth will be the same. But the smaller the coil is the more you have to be over the target and being off just a little the depth will decrease fast over a target.
All three coils are the same as far as depth.
Their are many factors that come into play with every target ie. angle, depth, corrosion, minerals in the soil. Every found target will be different.
No detector is perfect. The processor has to take in a lot of information to process. And at times they can be fooled with the information it is receiving.
Doug

I'd beg to differ on depth, the 15" definitely has the edge over the 11" coil, and most likely the 6".
Where the stock coil is at its edge of detection and a bit hit/miss on a target, the 15" will still be hitting hard.

So maximum depth is gonna be dead center. And at that point the detector puts the same signal to all three coils so the depth will be the same. But the smaller the coil is the more you have to be over the target and being off just a little the depth will decrease fast over a target.
Their are many factors that come into play with every target ie. angle, depth, corrosion, minerals in the soil. Every found target will be different.
No detector is perfect. The processor has to take in a lot of information to process. And at times they can be fooled with the information it is receiving.
Doug

I'd beg to differ on depth, the 15" definitely has the edge over the 11" coil, and most likely the 6".
Where the stock coil is at its edge of detection and a bit hit/miss on a target, the 15" will still be hitting hard.

Ditto on this point. There is definitely a depth advantage.

Haven't heard any of you talking about how your arm feels after swinging the 15" for 6,7, or 8 hours. Be sure to mention that....Lol... good luck with that....Lol....

Doug

I disagree.
11” stocker coil is deeper than 6” coil on Eqx.
When we rate coils for depth, does quality and or volume of signal come into play? I think so.
So a user might hear a deeper target using both 11” and biggest Nox coil. But wonder of the signal is stronger using biggest coil? This would give it an advantage.
What I am saying is using a coil in the wild, where you don’t know where a coin say is buried vs test garden can make a difference.
You know we see folks post, oh I can hear my say 10” dime in my test garden.
They are anticipating a signal though.

Cheers.

Btw I haven’t dug any 9” deep dimes using smallest Nox coil. I have though using the 11” dd Nox coil.

Haven't heard any of you talking about how your arm feels after swinging the 15" for 6,7, or 8 hours. Be sure to mention that....Lol... good luck with that....Lol....

I use DetectorPro Detecting Pal The Best Swing Support for my 15" on my 800. It will tire me out much quicker than the 11" coil without a swing support.

I use DetectorPro Detecting Pal The Best Swing Support for my 15" on my 800. It will tire me out much quicker than the 11" coil without a swing support.

I tried the detecting pal for awile and didn't really care for it. A certain amount of tension around my neck moving around. And I've had neck surgery. I like Doc's swingy thingy bungee better. I wound attach it to a D ring on the front chest strap of my backpack. Or even better to my belt. But it is still a fine line adjusting the tension on any of these. If not done right , it creates more strain on your arm , shoulder. I loved the 15" when I had it. 2-3 hours , no problem. But 6-8 hours , it just wiped me out. I wouldn't be able to hunt the following day. And at the beach , on a hot , target rich beach , was no good.

I tried the detecting pal for awile and didn't really care for it. A certain amount of tension around my neck moving around. And I've had neck surgery. I like Doc's swingy thingy bungee better. I wound attach it to a D ring on the front chest strap of my backpack. Or even better to my belt. But it is still a fine line adjusting the tension on any of these. If not done right , it creates more strain on your arm , shoulder. I loved the 15" when I had it. 2-3 hours , no problem. But 6-8 hours , it just wiped me out. I wouldn't be able to hunt the following day. And at the beach , on a hot , target rich beach , was no good.

I might try doc's. thanks.

I really don't like the way rubs my neck also. I just figured most were like that.

Here's a few pics of the sizes of targets I'm getting on the last few hunts.
There from 2 well detected sites, both haven't been ploughed since WW2 and the ground is bone dry. Most of the items were 5" plus, the deepest was the square piece of lead at an easy 13", coins from 5"-9". I was able to run it 23-25 sensitivity, and only used field 1 and 2.
I was cross checking some of the quieter/deeper sounding targets with my mates Nox with 11" coil, there was a number he couldn't hear or said he wouldn't have dug. One that stood out was like a half size .22 hull, like a starter cap or from a gun dog training thingy, it's not in the pic as we reburied it at 7", the 11" coil couldn't sniff it out, but i got a lovely 'dig me' signal with the 15".
I really like the coil, I'll probably use it for 75% of the time, i wouldn't be keen on using it on a real busy site, but it will defo pick up target's behind the 11". I'm a low and slow swinger and that seemed to suit the coil, it was giving it time between targets to recover and process the signal. The extra weight didn't effect me that much, but you can defo feel it after a few hours.

Attachments

• 20200602_095903_copy_800x600.jpg
    20200602_095903_copy_800x600.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 489
  • 20200602_095917_copy_800x600.jpg
    20200602_095917_copy_800x600.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 491
Doug

I think doug is partly right when comparing the 15" to the stock Equinox coil.

The 15 inch coil is 15” long x 12” wide.
The stock coils is 10.5” long x 11” wide
The six inch coil is 6” long x 6” wide.
My understanding is that the length of the coil determines amount of ground you can cover in each swing.
The width is more related to depth. So the 15” coil give you only one inch improvement over the stock coil. But the 15” coil has double the depth of the 6” coil and the stock coil has 5” inch advantage over the 6” coil.

But not so right when comparing the six inch coil to the 15" and stock coil.

anyone correct me if I am wrong, don't want bad info being published.

Personally I've found that the extra in length also adds a small amount in depth on some coils, and helps extend the hotspot/deepest part of the coil, so you acquire the target easier vs a tight coil that you have to be more exact with.
Pros and cons with both though :no:

I think doug is partly right when comparing the 15" to the stock Equinox coil.

The 15 inch coil is 15” long x 12” wide.
The stock coils is 10.5” long x 11” wide
The six inch coil is 6” long x 6” wide.
My understanding is that the length of the coil determines amount of ground you can cover in each swing.
The width is more related to depth. So the 15” coil give you only one inch improvement over the stock coil. But the 15” coil has double the depth of the 6” coil and the stock coil has 5” inch advantage over the 6” coil.

But not so right when comparing the six inch coil to the 15" and stock coil.

anyone correct me if I am wrong, don't want bad info being published.

I gave the 15" another blast last night.
There used to be a 1800's school in this field built on a much older medieval site as we have found coins from the 1200's here, so it's a real mashup with plenty of old iron and modern rubbish as 2 sides of the field run along a busy road side.
I had a good spread of big and very small finds, most at decent depths, it was challenging for sure but slow and low wins the day with this coil.
A 15" coil may not be the obvious choice for this type site, but a large coil can sometimes see around small iron better than say a 6" coil, so it's giving you a chance to approach it from another angle.
I defo dug more targets this hunt than I did my last time here with the 11" coil, and most of the targets like the spoon handles were on edge in the sidewall of the hole.

Attachments

• 20200603_183930_copy_800x369.jpg
    20200603_183930_copy_800x369.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 470
  • 20200603_210653_copy_800x369.jpg
    20200603_210653_copy_800x369.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 480
Back
Top Bottom