Dock Dogs

Squishy

Yesterday, I was in Sioux Falls, SD (about 1.5 hours away) and saw that they had a "Dock Dog" event in the parking lot of a sporting goods store. This is where dogs run down a platform and jump into a long, narrow swimming pool trying to catch a toy. They use high-speed cameras to determine exactly how far the dogs jump.

I talked to they guy running the event and he said that I could bring my dog down to see if he would do it. He likes water, but I have never seen him go in over his head so that he would have to "swim".

I got home yesterday, put on my swimming suit and loaded up Lincoln the Labradoodle. We drove about 10 miles to the nearest lake and I tried to get him to swim. He excitedly would run in up to his chin, but would not go farther. I tried to lure him out farther, but he just would not come.

I picked him up and carried him out until I was about chest deep. I held him in the water and let him float while I held him til he settled down. When I let go, he swam perfectly straight to shore. I carried him out several times and he did really well.

Then I threw his tennis ball on shore, then into the shallow water, and eventually into deep water. He did great! Swam out and got the ball many times.

This morning I went back to Sioux Falls and they let him try the dock dog tank. First we walked him up the ramp where the dogs come out after they do their jump. He walked down into the water, but did not swim. Eventually, I had to lead him in and he really was nervous about it. We tried and tried, but could not get him to swim on his own. He watched other dogs doing it and I really thought he would do it. He is very fast and a very powerful jumper. If I can get him to go for it, I really think he could be competitive.

Looks like I'll have to spend more time at the lake with him to get him used to it. Either way, we had a lot of fun together. :grin:

-Mike-

Mike, I think it's cute you taught your dog to swim. I can just picture this as you describe it. But about that jumping dock thing. I don't think it's something you want to push a dog to do. I wouldn't make mine do it because there is real risk of internal injury on bigger dogs pancaking into water on such jumps. Unfixed males with their equipment intact can suffer serious injury. (legs crossed at the moment just thinking about it) Stomach rupture is not unheard of along with internal bleeding.

Most dogs will never suffer such real injuries but they still feel pain. Dogs have a different approach to pain than humans. We stop when something hurts us but most dogs when excited do not stop. They charge ahead and only later stiffen up at home.

I do find the long jump fun to watch but part of me is very uncomfortable watching such a thing. Making your dog into Carl Lewis is not a good thing really. Fun to watch but "ruff" on the dog.

Even water dogs can drown. When I was a kid a yellow lab drowned in the Key West basin after jumping off a Zodiac. He must have taken a mouthful on impact and did not surface right away. Owner pulled him out eventually but the animal did not make it. Was all over the newspaper back then.

Run, swim and splash in control. But don't make an animal do something spectacular for human amusement. It's all meant in fun but the dog dies in earnest all the same.

OT

Mike, I think it's cute you taught your dog to swim. I can just picture this as you describe it. But about that jumping dock thing. I don't think it's something you want to push a dog to do. I wouldn't make mine do it because there is real risk of internal injury on bigger dogs pancaking into water on such jumps. Unfixed males with their equipment intact can suffer serious injury. (legs crossed at the moment just thinking about it) Stomach rupture is not unheard of along with internal bleeding.

Most dogs will never suffer such real injuries but they still feel pain. Dogs have a different approach to pain than humans. We stop when something hurts us but most dogs when excited do not stop. They charge ahead and only later stiffen up at home.

I do find the long jump fun to watch but part of me is very uncomfortable watching such a thing. Making your dog into Carl Lewis is not a good thing really. Fun to watch but "ruff" on the dog.

Even water dogs can drown. When I was a kid a yellow lab drowned in the Key West basin after jumping off a Zodiac. He must have taken a mouthful on impact and did not surface right away. Owner pulled him out eventually but the animal did not make it. Was all over the newspaper back then.

Run, swim and splash in control. But don't make an animal do something spectacular for human amusement. It's all meant in fun but the dog dies in earnest all the same.

OT

Thanks for the input! Honestly, I didn't/don't know that much about it. It looks like a lot of fun for the dogs. Those that had done this before, couldn't wait to go. I had not heard anything about the possibility of internal injuries! Yikes!

I definitely would not push him to do it. In fact, to their credit, there is literally a rule against that. You are not allowed to push or throw your dog in. If they don't jump willingly, well... then they are just not going to participate. (I know you were not talking about "literally" pushing the dog, but I would not push him to do it if he doesn't want to, and with this new information, I don't think we'll even try it again.

I'm still going to take him to the lake, swim with him and throw his ball for him to fetch from the water. In that case, he runs our until his feet don't touch, so there is no belly flop involved.

He sure was tired after our afternoon at the lake. He slept soundly when he got home. :grin:

Thanks again!
-Mike-

Back
Top Bottom