Favorite book you're ashamed to admit to.

Old Town

moved on...
For me it's "The Bridges of Madison County". I cried man tears at the end of that one. Clint Eastwood's movie version was also very good. It was a feminine day for me that time. Lots of weeping.

Old Town

I would never be ashamed of reading any book that I thought was good. I can understand why "Bridges..." might be considered feminine, but a good book is a good book no matter what emotions it may evoke. (BTW I teared for that one too! ;))

For me it was the 1956 book Old Yeller by Fred Gipson. The movie in 57 was even worse. As a dogie lovin kid of 8 years old it really torn me up.

Those were the tender years. Now almost nothing gets me.

badger

When I was in high school, we had to read a book and make
a book report. My teacher pushed me to read "Catcher in the Rye"

I did not want to read that, and fought a frustrated teacher
who thought me shallow, if not some sort of deviant.

I chose Alistair McClean's "Puppet on a Chain" about
the drug underworld of Amsterdam. :shock:

I remember getting a good mark for that report and I
loved the book.

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. It was sad but not so bad that it made me cry. Very good book.

-MI

Without a doubt it was Watership Down. A novel about a warren of rabbits who have their own culture, language, heritage, etc. A good read.

Without a doubt it was Watership Down. A novel about a warren of rabbits who have their own culture, language, heritage, etc. A good read.

I read this, too, after an old girlfriend would not stop talking about it. This around 1980 or so. Now that you bring it up, it was kinda neat.

OT

I don't have any books I'm ashamed of owning, but I do have a couple of Magazines I'd rather not mention.

:blush:

One of my all time favorite books that I re-visit about every 5 years is 'My Side of the Mountain' by Jean George. It's a young teen book, but is a wonderful read for anyone who enjoys the outdoors and dreams of adventure. Kind of like a modern day Huck Finn in a way. I'm a grown woman but I still enjoy reading this book. I introduced my oldest daughter to Sam, the main character in the book, when she was about 12 and she LIVED in that book for months if not years. Do yourself a favor and give it a go. You won't be sorry. Don't bother watching the movie they made of it because they RUINED it. : )

Aint ashamed at all but to me "Where the red fern grows" was like me growing up all over again. I wanted and had coon dogs and that book is GREAT. A lot better than the movie versions of it. I tuned up too...d2

One of my all time favorite books that I re-visit about every 5 years is 'My Side of the Mountain' by Jean George. It's a young teen book, but is a wonderful read for anyone who enjoys the outdoors and dreams of adventure. Kind of like a modern day Huck Finn in a way. I'm a grown woman but I still enjoy reading this book. I introduced my oldest daughter to Sam, the main character in the book, when she was about 12 and she LIVED in that book for months if not years. Do yourself a favor and give it a go. You won't be sorry. Don't bother watching the movie they made of it because they RUINED it. : )

frankiefry, I did see this movie with my sister when we were little. I loved the movie but did not have the book to compare it to. Have not heard of anyone mentioning this novel or movie in 40 years. Good title to bring up.

OT

I cannot say I am ashamed of reading these books but love them as Classics. A few of them have already been mentioned already.

1. Watership Down.

2. Hatchet.

3. Where the red fern grows.

4. Most of the Hardy Boy series.

5. The lion, Witch, And Wardrobe. (Read that long before the recent movies.)

6. A Wrinkle in time.

There is much more.... Just need to remember them. :-)

Aint ashamed at all but to me "Where the red fern grows" was like me growing up all over again. I wanted and had coon dogs and that book is GREAT. A lot better than the movie versions of it. I tuned up too...d2
The James Whitmore movie version was very good..........

Back
Top Bottom