Best Civil War piece

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
I dug this item, an "Arguilette" at an old CW fort a couple years back. What makes it so neat to dig and hold is it's purpose in the war.
A cannon man would keep one in case the enemy started to overrun his forces. He couldn't haul the heavy cannon along as he retreated so the next best thing was to disable it. Also, that way it couldn't be turned on the fleeing troops.
He would put the narrow end in the fire hole, jamb the long rod in the cannon throat and bend the brass point. Then he would bend the rest of it that stuck out the fire hole. Now it would take a drill to open and use the cannon again.
So that the arguilette would always be handy the cannonaires would wear them on the uniform. To make a longer story short - today we see them hanging off soldier's uniforms at the end of a braided gold tassel usually. The far left end is threaded inside to connect to the tassel. Steve in so az

Attachments

• arguilette.jpg
    arguilette.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,326
Very Cool Steve! I've never heard of an 'Arguilette' before...thanks for the info!

Did you find that and the buttons in Az?? Very nice condition!

Best of luck and HH, Hank :grin:

Yes I dug them here in Az. They come out looking pretty much as you see them - some good in not getting any rainfall :) Steve

Back
Top Bottom