• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Random relics

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
I've been working a local tear-out with one of our members (Plastered Dragon).

The tear-out is at a fairly old athletic field in our town. yesterday morning I managed this '43 Mercury dime and these two relics. Still not sure what the oval shaped piece is, but the piece that says, "JR O.U.A.M. may have had an ominous history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Order_of_United_American_Mechanics

Attachments

• Coolidge I sized.jpg
    Coolidge I sized.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 200
  • JR O.U.A.M..JPG
    JR O.U.A.M..JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 164
Great digging Dave, those tearouts can really produce! The oval shaped piece kinda looks like a pressed penny?Congrats!

Great digging Dave, those tearouts can really produce! The oval shaped piece kinda looks like a pressed penny?Congrats!

The contractors took about 3 inches off the top of this field. It's Coolidge Park in Fitchburg. The tear out is pretty big like 100's of feet by 100's of feet. Word on the street is that more Ball Hockey rinks are going in. Head on over if you can. In no time they will be sealing some of it up. The place is loaded with mid-tone signals, mostly in the 40's. Between the three of us, we've pulled all kinds of small relics and some older coins too. I got a fatty Indian Head Tuesday night.

I ran the bigger coil and didn't really have any trouble separating targets. The iron count isn't too bad either. Check it out on like Historic Aerials. There are remains of has-been baseball diamonds and it was a betting horse track for a while back in the 1930's.

The contractors took about 3 inches off the top of this field. It's Coolidge Park in Fitchburg. The tear out is pretty big like 100's of feet by 100's of feet. Word on the street is that more Ball Hockey rinks are going in. Head on over if you can. In no time they will be sealing some of it up. The place is loaded with mid-tone signals, mostly in the 40's. Between the three of us, we've pulled all kinds of small relics and some older coins too. I got a fatty Indian Head Tuesday night.

I ran the bigger coil and didn't really have any trouble separating targets. The iron count isn't too bad either. Check it out on like Historic Aerials. There are remains of has-been baseball diamonds and it was a betting horse track for a while back in the 1930's.

Congrats on the fatty! I may try to get out there over the weekend if its still open, hopefully ill see ya guys out there! Ill see if bottlecapking wants to join too :yes: you know to clear all the bottlecaps for us :laughing: I may not even be able to get out but hopefully

Old memories

I grew up swimming at Coolidge park. That was back in the 50s. Then came the polio epidemic and they drained it.
If I were to detect that area it would be the area behind the old pool. Back then there were no changing rooms. You changed the laundry out in the trees.
Baker brook ran behind my house. My house was where Ron Bouchard has one of his dealerships. I should say the late Ron Bouchard. I worked for his father for a short time.

Good luck on your hunt. There must be a lot of good stuff still there.

I grew up swimming at Coolidge park. That was back in the 50s. Then came the polio epidemic and they drained it.
If I were to detect that area it would be the area behind the old pool. Back then there were no changing rooms. You changed the laundry out in the trees.
Baker brook ran behind my house. My house was where Ron Bouchard has one of his dealerships. I should say the late Ron Bouchard. I worked for his father for a short time.

Good luck on your hunt. There must be a lot of good stuff still there.

The small world keeps getting smaller. Were you driving for them G? I got to meet the Bouchards on a few occasions between the small race tracks and around town.

I have worked that old pool area. The spillway's gorgeous stone work is still there that channeled the brook into that pond.

Are you and Chuck the ones who have been leaving open holes all over Coolidge? I went there a week or two ago and it was like someone had shelled the place with all of the open holes, as well, as some poorly covered holes that had cans in them...

Whether they are redoing the field or not, the moment someone trips on an open hole left by a metal detector is the moment metal detecting becomes illegal in the city because it will be deemed a "liability".

Are you and Chuck the ones who have been leaving open holes all over Coolidge? I went there a week or two ago and it was like someone had shelled the place with all of the open holes, as well, as some poorly covered holes that had cans in them...

Whether they are redoing the field or not, the moment someone trips on an open hole left by a metal detector is the moment metal detecting becomes illegal in the city because it will be deemed a "liability".

That wouldn't be us.

I'll check it out soon.

Love old turf tearout scrapes. They did one in a park that dated to the 1880s, in San Franciso, in 2006. We got hundreds of silver coins, and thousands of wheaties. At times on our hands and knees just scuttling beep-to-beep.

Back
Top Bottom