4 more Barbers

MTJosh

Elite Member
Hiked back into my barber hillside pocket. Great day out with fall colors in full swing. Hike in saw a few deer and the whitest skunk I have every seen.

Upon arrival, I swept the area with the magnet stick I made. Pulled over 40 nails. Started detecting. 10 minutes in get a high tone squeak. Pulled 1st barber dime. It was on its edge. Then another high tone. Only from one direction. Any other way no signal at all with all the iron infesting this area. 2nd Barber dime. Keep sweeping for iron and pull some more nails. Get a odd high tone but only reading 74 on AT. Dig out pile of dirt. In hole pinponter has multiple targets and I pull 2 more nails. I sweep coil over pile of dirt I dug and iron sound, then sweet dime signal. 3rd barber. This one 1800's. Hole had dime and nails next to each other. Finally one more odd signal and my 4th dime for the day. This one in amazing condition. Since I have found no mercs I'm guessing 1914/15 could have been when these were lost. Explains great condition. I started digging away dirt, sweeping for iron, pulling nails and detecing. No more coins. A steel buckle, some bullets and rivets so still finding targets. If/when I go back will need serious tools to dig this hillside down so I can pull more iron and search for more silver.

This one small area has now produced 11 barbers, 3 quarters, 8 dimes. Until this spot I have only found 2 barbers ever in the years I have been detecting. Out west finding coins this old is rare. Finding a pocket producing this many a needle in a haystack. Then again research, hiking miles and perseverance paid off.

Attachments

• 4 more barbers.jpg
    4 more barbers.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 470
Great to see your research, perseverance and physical effort are paying off! Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hiked back into my barber hillside pocket. Great day out with fall colors in full swing. Hike in saw a few deer and the whitest skunk I have every seen.

Upon arrival, I swept the area with the magnet stick I made. Pulled over 40 nails. Started detecting. 10 minutes in get a high tone squeak. Pulled 1st barber dime. It was on its edge. Then another high tone. Only from one direction. Any other way no signal at all with all the iron infesting this area. 2nd Barber dime. Keep sweeping for iron and pull some more nails. Get a odd high tone but only reading 74 on AT. Dig out pile of dirt. In hole pinponter has multiple targets and I pull 2 more nails. I sweep coil over pile of dirt I dug and iron sound, then sweet dime signal. 3rd barber. This one 1800's. Hole had dime and nails next to each other. Finally one more odd signal and my 4th dime for the day. This one in amazing condition. Since I have found no mercs I'm guessing 1914/15 could have been when these were lost. Explains great condition. I started digging away dirt, sweeping for iron, pulling nails and detecing. No more coins. A steel buckle, some bullets and rivets so still finding targets. If/when I go back will need serious tools to dig this hillside down so I can pull more iron and search for more silver.

This one small area has now produced 11 barbers, 3 quarters, 8 dimes. Until this spot I have only found 2 barbers ever in the years I have been detecting. Out west finding coins this old is rare. Finding a pocket producing this many a needle in a haystack. Then again research, hiking miles and perseverance paid off.

Outstanding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really really nice!!!

And thanks for your description on the coin signals...it contributes to my education in the field.

Nice job and congratulations. That one Barber has some really nice detail .

Pretty amazing stuff Josh. The reality is that not many people would do what you did to even go look and scout it out. Most hunters are what I'd consider "casual", and I just say that from observation. To really get into places whether rural or urban and go for it in every way takes a lot of drive. You're obviously driven and are enjoying the rewards that hopefully go along with it.
I can envision a gold coin in there,hopefully you're open enough to find one if it pops up...:grin:
Great story,some fine well thought out hunting!

Very, very cool! Great job on the Barbers.

I missed your other posts, not sure if you mentioned, but what "type" of site is this? Sounds like one you researched pretty hard...

Congrats!!!

Steve

Great finds and like Tom said, excellent play by play write up! That magnet stick was a good idea...The skunks are really on the move here this time of the year...a nearly white one would be a good omen! That site is old enough to hold a gold coin for you!.

I missed your other posts, not sure if you mentioned, but what "type" of site is this? Sounds like one you researched pretty hard...

This was an old logging/sawmill area. Researched old maps. Then took the time to go explore and scout the area. Hike in is only 1-1.5 miles. But drops fast in elevation. Hike back to the truck always fun. Some reasearched areas you can look at google earth. This area nothing is visible. Not even the old road. First trip I found a single Barber quarter. Many relics The trail in was the old road. Never ending ox shoes with some horse shoes on the trail. The coin pocket is only 20 ft by 30 ft. This was luck but good scouting as the area is a few acres.
There is potential in other drainages in the area. I will be exploring them all. I like being outdoors and hiking. Just getting out is a great time for me. There area always relics to be found. Coins are rare and such a treat to find.

Back
Top Bottom