Another small bounty with a recurring lesson....

IDXMonster

Elite Member
I unexpectedly was able to meet up with ol' "7 silver" this morning at the spot that has been producing. Trapper worked hard for a 3 silver day with a couple wheats and I cranked out 2 more Mercs and 6 wheats. We had about 3 hours into it before we moved to a park around the corner at which he had found a wheat on a 5 minute "test hunt" before. We spent an hour or so there and didn't manage anything but 1 more wheat on my end! OK IDX,you say...what's the lesson?
The ballfield we started at just about did NOT get our return trip,we had cleaned out the school side and really weren't thinking about going back. Well,we went back to the adjoining ball field and for about 12 man hours invested we've pulled 17 silver coins out of a place that we thought was done for,it looked too "messed with".
The park? Well! It sure LOOKS good and there are old houses around it...what's not to like? It was a complete BUST,there wasn't even hardly any clad to speak of.
The lesson is don't assume ANYTHING(and as a disclaimer,this is really more for the newer detectorist). ANYTHING can be ANYWHERE,and this is proven time and time again through posts here. You HAVE to get into the site and hunt it for a certain period of time to get a read of what might be there. And even then,that's not a complete analysis. But when you're driving an hour to get to a site,it has to be determined at some point whether or not it's a good use of time to go back!
At the bare minimum...go take a look, if the precursors show promise. You can make an educated decision whether or not to continue with it when you hold some targets in your hand. Some will be good,others you'll never return,and that's OK. We all work extremely hard to get the good targets out of the ground,and the responses we get on the forum are confirmation of that hard work!
It is NOT easy. I don't believe we would find what we do if not for some of the great machines out there, they are an absolute MARVEL of engineering,no matter how much I gripe!

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Congrats on the silver and wheats! You’re right, sometimes one park looks so good and nothing can be found and then another park you try that’s not as old or doesn’t look as promessing ends up producing. I can ever figure out why that happens but good to here it happens to others too.

I was surprised with a phone call as I approached the ballfield from the Monster. A very pleasant surprise indeed. Kevin explained the hunt as it happened. Wish the second site had some better results but I think this park was hit very hard before our eyes ever came upon it. Still I can't complain as I came home with Three Silvers for the effort. Two Merc's and a Rosie along with a couple of Wheat's and also added $3.04 to the clad coffers. On my trip back home I received another phone call. This one from a land owner that had my card. I met him earlier this year while doing his curb strip. His call was giving me permission to come detect his yard and the lot next to his. The house was built in the early 1880's. Again thanks Kevin for another good day of play. Until the next time. Trapper

Attachments

• 10-7-17 .jpg
    10-7-17 .jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Great lesson, I say those words often. You never know what was dropped in ant particular spot hundreds of years ago. I decided to swing over a recently cut hay field a month or so ago and found 2 kg"s near where I began. This made me think it was worth hunting. Finds were few for many hunts after that and I almost bagged the rest of the field. I really didn't have a lot of area left to hunt and the "anything can be anywhere" was in the back of my mind. Sure enough I stumbled upon 2 seated quarters at the opposite end of the field from where I started. I have many interesting finds that I never would have guessed would have been where I found them. If you truly enjoy the hunt as much as the finds and you have ground to swing over, swing over it! You may be surprised what you find!

A very nice bounty indeed . And yes ... such is the life of a detecrorists . And since we are hunting the remnants lost at a minimum of 50 years ago a location can not be judged on its appearance alone . Until we put coil to the ground you just never know .
Good work guys . Keep up the amaizing run .
Dew

Congrats on the silver and wheats! You’re right, sometimes one park looks so good and nothing can be found and then another park you try that’s not as old or doesn’t look as promessing ends up producing. I can ever figure out why that happens but good to here it happens to others too.
Jason, I had the opinion there were not any empty parks in sunny Cal. Now I learn that I'm wrong.
Great hunting fellas! Nice looking coins, congrats!
Thanks Jeff, the hunts with Kevin are always a real joy and always a great adventure.
Great lesson, I say those words often. You never know what was dropped in ant particular spot hundreds of years ago. I decided to swing over a recently cut hay field a month or so ago and found 2 kg"s near where I began. This made me think it was worth hunting. Finds were few for many hunts after that and I almost bagged the rest of the field. I really didn't have a lot of area left to hunt and the "anything can be anywhere" was in the back of my mind. Sure enough I stumbled upon 2 seated quarters at the opposite end of the field from where I started. I have many interesting finds that I never would have guessed would have been where I found them. If you truly enjoy the hunt as much as the finds and you have ground to swing over, swing over it! You may be surprised what you find!
The lessons never really stop Remmy. We all benefit from leaning by our mistakes but also from our successes. It is all part of the adventure.
Congrats to you both on the successful outing...letting your instincts guide you to the silver...nice work!
You know Bruce that Kevin is technically driven while I'm a bit backwards and just follow my nose. Trapper

Good investigative work to sleuth out a few more goodies there.

Back
Top Bottom