Any idea what this is?

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
Its heavy, made of lead and about the size of your palm. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 698
Looks like someone gripped it in their fingers while still pliable, like squeezing play doh IMO

Homemade lead knuckles?

Similar to these:

Attachments

• IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 627
That might be a homemade 'strike enhancer' - something to give weight to your fist in a fight, like a roll of quarters held in your fist, but this would be fitted to the fingers.

The hand of the six fingered man...You found him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the same way brass knuckles fit in a hand... with four fingers around the top, and the little flared out pieces on the bottom sitting on the palm of the hand to help distribute forces from impact...

Thanks guys! It does look like its molded to fit the palm/fingers. I left it with the property owner so I can't get a pic of the other side right now, but if memory serves it was mostly flat. I'll try to get another pic next time I'm detecting there. Palm guard, rope separator or homemade knuckles/strike enhancer all sound reasonable to me. :cheers:

Colonial maybe?

Possibly. The site where it was found had an 1840 log cabin on it, but the property sits next to a creek and a spring so it could have been in use much earlier.

In the same way brass knuckles fit in a hand... with four fingers around the top, and the little flared out pieces on the bottom sitting on the palm of the hand to help distribute forces from impact...

X2. The two groove are more to do with design spacing not for digits.

Thought that looked familiar, now where did I see it???? Oh yeah in this same post about a year ago. :D

Back
Top Bottom